• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

show me that a q6600 is no good now

Status
Not open for further replies.
System Name Sham Pc
Processor i5-2500k @ 4.33
Motherboard INTEL DZ77SL 50K
Cooling 2 bay res. "2L of fluid in loop" 1x480 2x360
Memory 16gb 4x4 kingstone 1600 hyper x fury black
Video Card(s) hfa2 gtx 780 @ 1306/1768 (xspc bloc)
Storage 1tb wd red 120gb kingston on the way os, 1.5Tb wd black, 3tb random WD rebrand
Display(s) cibox something or other 23" 1080p " 23 inch downstairs. 52 inch plasma downstairs 15" tft kitchen
Case 900D
Audio Device(s) on board
Power Supply xion gaming seriese 1000W (non modular) 80+ bronze
Software windows 10 pro x64
yeah sure i do.
if you sleep better at night thinking that then thats ok.
just dont research it ok.

i will never ever understand the ignorance of fan boys..
off to play a game on the AMD fx-8120
It can do that and it can do it just fine. can do a whole bunch of other stuff fine too.

but its not 8 core.

Toothless

Tech, Games, and TPU!
Supporter
System Name Veral
Processor 5950x
Motherboard MSI MEG x570 Ace
Cooling Corsair H150i RGB Elite
Memory 4x16GB G.Skill TridentZ
Video Card(s) Powercolor 7900XTX Red Devil
Storage Crucial P5 Plus 1TB, Samsung 980 1TB, Teamgroup MP34 4TB
Display(s) Acer Nitro XZ342CK Pbmiiphx + 2x AOC 2425W
Case Fractal Design Meshify Lite 2
Audio Device(s) Blue Yeti + SteelSeries Arctis 5 / Samsung HW-T550
Power Supply Corsair HX850
Mouse Corsair Nightsword
Keyboard Corsair K55
VR HMD HP Reverb G2
Software Windows 11 Professional
Benchmark Scores PEBCAK
i will never ever understand the ignorance of fan boys..
Who here is fanboying? We're sitting here with the facts on the plate and you're cooking some crap while thinking you're the master chef.

As for me, I own both AMD and Intel, and the only reason I go with AMD all of the time is due to lower budgets and/or friends wreck their computers and I get to fix and keep.

Would I go with an Intel-based rig if I had the money? Certainly.

Do I recommend AMD to people just as much as I recommend Intel? Always.

The only real fanboy here is you with your ignorance.

MxPhenom 216

ASIC Engineer
System Name Ryzen Reflection
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900x
Motherboard Gigabyte X570S Aorus Master
Cooling 2x EK PE360 | TechN AM4 AMD Block Black | EK Quantum Vector Trinity GPU Nickel + Plexi
Memory Teamgroup T-Force Xtreem 2x16GB B-Die 3600 @ 14-14-14-28-42-288-2T 1.45v
Video Card(s) Zotac AMP HoloBlack RTX 3080Ti 12G | 950mV 1950Mhz
Storage WD SN850 500GB (OS) | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB (Games_1) | Samsung 970 Evo 1TB (Games_2)
Display(s) Asus XG27AQM 240Hz G-Sync Fast-IPS | Gigabyte M27Q-P 165Hz 1440P IPS | Asus 24" IPS (portrait mode)
Case Lian Li PC-011D XL | Custom cables by Cablemodz
Audio Device(s) FiiO K7 | Sennheiser HD650 + Beyerdynamic FOX Mic
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Ultra Platinum 850
Mouse Razer Viper v2 Pro
Keyboard Razer Huntsman Tournament Edition
Software Windows 11 Pro 64-Bit
Wow, I have never seen a dead horse get beat so bad.

Processor i7 7700k
Motherboard MSI Z270 SLI Plus
Cooling CM Hyper 212 EVO
Memory 2 x 8 GB Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2070 Super
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB and WD Black 4TB
Display(s) Dell 27 inch 1440p 144 Hz
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow Edition
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova 850 W Gold
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G105
Software Windows 10
Shambles1980, it seems to me that if it weren't an 8 core processor then Intel would be all over AMD for being dishonest and selling them as 8 core CPUs.

System Name Computer of Theseus
Processor Intel i9-12900KS: 50x Pcore multi @ 1.18Vcore (target 1.275V -100mv offset)
Motherboard EVGA Z690 Classified
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S, 2xThermalRight TY-143, 4xNoctua NF-A12x25,3xNF-A12x15, 2xAquacomputer Splitty9Active
Memory G-Skill Trident Z5 (32GB) DDR5-6000 C36 F5-6000J3636F16GX2-TZ5RK
Video Card(s) EVGA Geforce 3060 XC Black Gaming 12GB
Storage 1x Samsung 970 Pro 512GB NVMe (OS), 2x Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB (data 1 and 2), ASUS BW-16D1HT
Display(s) Dell S3220DGF 32" 2560x1440 165Hz Primary, Dell P2017H 19.5" 1600x900 Secondary, Ergotron LX arms.
Case Lian Li O11 Air Mini
Audio Device(s) Audiotechnica ATR2100X-USB, El Gato Wave XLR Mic Preamp, ATH M50X Headphones, Behringer 302USB Mixer
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex Platinum SE 1000W 80+ Platinum White
Mouse Zowie EC3-C
Keyboard Vortex Multix 87 Winter TKL (Gateron G Pro Yellow)
Software Win 10 LTSC 21H2
Amazing how things have changed in the past couple years:

2007 said:
AMD and Intel currently have divergent views on how to architect a quad-core desktop processor. Intel's quad-core parts - for desktop systems as well as servers - are based on a pair of dual-core chips put together on a single substrate - an arrangement know as a multi-chip module (MCM). The quad-core processors are equipped with either 8MiB or 12MiB L2 cache - 4MiB/6MiB per chip - and accessed via a common front-side bus (FSB) whose bandwidth is currently limited to 10.6GiB/s (1333MHz).

Cache contention and access latency can be problematic with four cores potentially thrashing away and requiring data to be streamed from main memory through a discrete memory-controller hub (MCH) on the motherboard, via the FSB. However MCM has benefits of its own. First, the time to market is reduced and that's contributed to Intel's one-year lead over AMD in desktop quad-core x86 processors. In addition, each dual-core assembly is smaller that a quad-core, so yields are improved and costs reduced.

AMD on the other hand reckons that 'native' quad-core is the way to go - using a monolithic piece of silicon to house all four cores, cache, and, of course, integrated memory-controller.
http://hexus.net/tech/reviews/cpu/1...henom-9600-vs-intel-core-2-quad-q6600/?page=2

2012 said:
The basic building block of Bulldozer is the dual-core module, pictured below. AMD wanted better performance than simple SMT (ala Hyper Threading) would allow but without resorting to full duplication of resources we get in a traditional dual core CPU. The result is a duplication of integer execution resources and L1 caches, but a sharing of the front end and FPU. AMD still refers to this module as being dual-core, although it's a departure from the more traditional definition of the word. In the early days of multi-core x86 processors, dual-core designs were simply two single core processors stuck on the same package. Today we still see simple duplication of identical cores in a single processor, but moving forward it's likely that we'll see more heterogenous multi-core systems. AMD's Bulldozer architecture may be unusual, but it challenges the conventional definition of a core in a way that we're probably going to face one way or another in the not too distant future.

The bigger issue with Bulldozer isn't one of core semantics, but rather how threads get scheduled on those cores. Ideally, threads with shared data sets would get scheduled on the same module, while threads that share no data would be scheduled on separate modules. The former allows more efficient use of a module's L2 cache, while the latter guarantees each thread has access to all of a module's resources when there's no tangible benefit to sharing.

This ideal scenario isn't how threads are scheduled on Bulldozer today. Instead of intelligent core/module scheduling based on the memory addresses touched by a thread, Windows 7 currently just schedules threads on Bulldozer in order. Starting from core 0 and going up to core 7 in an eight-core FX-8150, Windows 7 will schedule two threads on the first module, then move to the next module, etc... If the threads happen to be working on the same data, then Windows 7's scheduling approach makes sense. If the threads scheduled are working on different data sets however, Windows 7's current treatment of Bulldozer is suboptimal.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/5448/the-bulldozer-scheduling-patch-tested

Lesson: the definition of a core is pure marketing. AMD says it has 8 cores so it has 8 cores. An AMD FX core is different from an Intel core, different from a core 2 mcm core, and is different from a K10 core. However that doesn't make it not a core.

Last edited:
System Name penguin
Processor R7 5700G
Motherboard Asrock B450M Pro4
Cooling Some CM tower cooler that will fit my case
Memory 4 x 8GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz
Video Card(s) IGP
Storage ADATA SU800 512GB
Display(s) 27' LG
Case Zalman
Audio Device(s) stock
Power Supply Seasonic SS-620GM
Software win10
Shambles I think you need to look at the problem from another angle. AMD's Bulldozer design was ingenious because it tried to revolutionize the way a CPU works. Their goal was to make a more efficient processor. To do that they dissected a core to its basic components and asked the question "What are the most heavily used parts of the core?". They decided to beef up only those parts and share the rest of the components so that they keep utilization to 100% and not have parts of the core sitting idly. That way thy could have a smaller footprint and cheaper design that could be more efficient. Now you have to understand that when so many complex functions happen in 1/1000000 of a second, it's very hard to do simple things like scheduling, prefetching, thread aligning and so on, so the fact that AMD actually made it work with so many shared resources is nothing short of a miracle.

The only problem is that they optimized it only for certain workflows. And it looks that AMD did not choose those workflows carefully enough. Still if you look at reviews and see benchmarks for file or video compression or image and video rendering, you'd see that those silly modules of theirs actually manage to keep up with the i5s and the i7s, even tho Intel's CPUs are produced on a much more advanced process node and pack more transistors.

The other thing is that Intel's HT actually parks one thread mid flight when it reaches a decoder that needs more than 1 cycle to finish the task and picks up another thread that can run on a different decoder along the pipeline. So even tho Intel has done an amazing job and manages to switch threads mid flight almost instantly, HT still introduces some minute latencies. AMD's design on the other hand can have the two threads run in parallel on the same module because each of those integer units has its own dedicated decoders. The only problem is that because their core is weaker, it's not fast enough to see any benefits.
They're both trying to solve the same problem of more efficient multi-threading in two different ways but because Intel has a better micro-architecture and better manufacturing facilities their SMT design seems better even tho it's not.

Last edited:

Tatty_Two

Gone Fishing
Processor Rocket Lake Core i5 11600K @ 5 Ghz with PL tweaks
Motherboard MSI MAG Z490 TOMAHAWK
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120SE + 4 Phanteks 140mm case fans
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB SR) Patriot Viper Steel 4133Mhz DDR4 @ 3600Mhz CL14@1.45v Gear 1
Video Card(s) Asus Dual RTX 4070 OC
Storage WD Blue SN550 1TB M.2 NVME//Crucial MX500 500GB SSD (OS)
Display(s) AOC Q2781PQ 27 inch Ultra Slim 2560 x 1440 IPS
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Windowed - Gunmetal
Audio Device(s) Onboard Realtek ALC1200/SPDIF to Sony AVR @ 5.1
Power Supply Seasonic CORE GM650w Gold Semi modular
Mouse Coolermaster Storm Octane wired
Keyboard Element Gaming Carbon Mk2 Tournament Mech
Software Win 10 Home x64
I think this thread has run it's course and has now turned into a chat room full of inaccuracies and misinterpretation, and therefore is closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.