1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

shut down issues

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by overclocking101, Oct 7, 2010.

1. overclocking101

overclocking101

Thanks Received:
    ok so my secondary cruncher is having problems big time. the rig will get into windows chill there for a while then either shut down for lock up. now i figured it was a dying psu so i bought a new 530w psu and the psu runs my main rig (in specs) no problem but the secondary pc still does it! tried 2 diff cpus celeon (45nm) and p4 (90nm) tried swapping out ram same its getting annoying. im starting to think something is wrong with the mainboard mainly because it has no video problems no artifacts etc and while it runs I can get a game runnning fine until it inevitably shuts down. tried fresh install and halfway through the install the damn thing shuts down anyone have any insight??

2. ASRockIQ

ASRockIQ New Member

Thanks Received:
    sure it's not the HDD?

3. overclocking101

overclocking101

Thanks Received:
    tried 2 different hdd's i guess i could try a 3rd one but idk it makes no sense. the specs to it are: e3300/p4 541, msi p7n diamond, 4gb ddr2 1066 gskill, 8800gts 640mb 530w psu before it was running on a 650w psu. hell 450w should be plenty to power it its very frustrating

4. viczulis

viczulis New Member

Thanks Received:
    You'll probably think this is bullshit. But my daughters computer was doing that a year or so ago. I switched everything out but motherboard. And it still did it. The only thing that wasnt switched out was speakers and wireless card. I bought 20.00 speakers and ran wire instead of wireless and its been running stable every since.
    Weirdest thing I ever seen. Gigabyte X48 dsl something I was just getting ready to order new board when that worked.

Good luck

5. overclocking101

overclocking101

Thanks Received:
    i dojt even have speakers hooked up but im going to disect it this weekend and hope something works out

6. JrRacinFan

JrRacinFan Served 5k and counting ...

Thanks Received:
    Sounds to me like an overheat issue.

7. gunsmoke

gunsmoke New Member

Thanks Received:
    iv seen died u.s.b pci cards shuts down p.cs in the past pulled them out and work with out shuting down mite work if all fails if you have any p.c.i cards running in your set up ???

8. HXL492

HXL492

Thanks Received:
    It may actually be overheating problem. What cooler are you using?

9. overclocking101

overclocking101

Thanks Received:
    im using the stock cooler atm but i was using a aftyermarket cooler ac freezer pro or whatever. but temps are only 45c when i run intel burn test on t when it actually stays up long enough to run a program. i have a x-fi card in it ill take it out and see whats up

10. Tatty_One

Tatty_One Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    If you get to windows to at least the start screen it might be a corrupt registry or even driver issue although the symptoms do sound memory related to me.

have you tried booting to windows in safe mode? usually if you can get in with safe mode then it is a software related issue and if you can't then it will prob be hardware, you can then troubleshoot from there.

11. Thrackan

Thrackan

Thanks Received:
    First things popping up in my mind are memory and HDD (swapspace). You can also check if it's the OS/HDD by booting a live CD. Tatty's safe mode suggestion is a good one as well.

12. JrRacinFan

JrRacinFan Served 5k and counting ...

Thanks Received:
    You are thinking CPU temps. I am thinking motherboard temps. Although i have seen weirder things in the past, try running the rig without a case.

13. overclocking101

overclocking101

Thanks Received:
    well tried a different hdd same problem also tried different ram same problem. actually the moe i try it the sooner it shuts down. after trying it for 30 mins it will post get to post screen then shut down. nb temps are 45c in bios. this is kind of annoying.

14. overclocking101

overclocking101

Thanks Received:
    its got to be a motherboard problem only thing is i dont have another one! and only have a few bucks to play with damn it

15. Thrackan

Thrackan

Thanks Received:
    Well it could be "simply" a broken mem controller on the motherboard. That would be shite.

16. CrackerJack

CrackerJack

Thanks Received:
    tried booting into safe mode? and are you getting a BSOD?

17. overclocking101

overclocking101

Thanks Received:
    well m8 the past few times i dont get as far as windows at all forget safe mode. im confused as to why it would shut down at all but it could be a board issue thats what im hoping

18. mATrIxLord New Member

Thanks Received:
    have you tried running the PC outside the case???? disassamble the hole thing and build it together on the table and give it a try then, some times if the board is not seated correctly inside the case it shorts out somewhere and starts to malfunction.... another thing you can do is reset the bios to default and then restart the motherboard...