1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

sick. crapload of Vit. C harmful?

Discussion in 'General Nonsense' started by hat, Feb 16, 2009.

1. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    Well I'm feeling sick and everyone knows Vit. C is good for the immune system, good for fighting off colds etc etc. I got some Vit. C pills exactly for this purpose. Each pill is 1000MG, and according to the nutrition facts that's about 1600% of the reccomended daily value. Of course they say to take one every 24 hours, but what would happen if I took 4 of these pills every day? I'd be getting well over 5000% daily value of Vit. C. I know the human body can handle only so much so here's 2 questions:

1. Would it go to waste if I took 4 pills a day?
    2. Could taking so much Vit. C have any harmful effects?

Inb4 "this is not doctorpowerup.com"

Crunching for Team TPU
  2. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    Don't overdose--follow the instructions on the box. Vitamin C is water soluble so as long as you are taking in enough water, it is most likely humanly impossible to overdose. Basically, anything your body doesn't use gets expelled from the body. As far as I know, Vitamin C has not been proven to be in any way beneficial if you are not already sick or getting sick.

A, D, E, and K are fat-soluble and have proven fatal when taking too much. With fat-soluble vitamins, the fat in your body basically becomes saturated with the vitamin effectively making it toxic. I think it was Vitamin A that increased the frequency of lung cancer in smokers during a study.

Edit: apparently taking large doses of Vitamin C can cause indigestion and diarrhea (among others that are less common)...

hat says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  3. btarunr

btarunr Editor & Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Yes, it will harm you. Being an adolescent, you shouldn't take more than 70mg of vitamin C per day. OD can result in diarrhea and severe stomach-ache.

hat says thanks.
  4. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    I've been down that road before... ever had it coming out of both ends? :cry: wasn't related to Vit. C though

What's being an adolescent got to do with limits on Vit. C? If I can only take 70mg, then how can anyone be able to absorb 1000mg?

Crunching for Team TPU
  5. FordGT90Concept

Thanks Received:
    If I were you, I'd get Halls Vitamin C lozenges. Each one has 100% daily recommended dose of Vitamin C and they really do help with a sore throat if that's what you got. There's also Airborne which also has a high concentration of Vitamin C. Simply put, I wouldn't take an oral Vitamin C supplement.

Wikipedia has the list of side effects.

hat says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  6. btarunr

btarunr Editor & Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Those so called 1g pills you take aren't exactly supplements, they are medicinal, and can be used to react to deficiencies. I don't think you even have 1000mg pills, I'm sure the actual vitamin-C content ranges between 200~300mg. I'm sure either it's a multi-vit or some associated drug. US-RDA doesn't recommend more than 80mg of Vitamin C for an adult man.

hat says thanks.
  7. DanTheBanjoman Señor Moderator

Thanks Received:
    Perhaps you should get enough vitamin C before you get sick? I doubt eating your fruits now will make you better any time sooner. Just call in sick and game all day. Once you're better consider eating enough fruit or decide you enjoyed the gaming spree and start living on junk food.

hat says thanks.
  8. rampage

Thanks Received:
    the human body dose not store excess vit c (as well as other vitimins) in its system and thats why if you take vit C or other mutli vitimin tablets you will see your pee turn yellow or orrange, its just the body getting rid off excess "waste"

1: yes it would be a waste to over do it

2: anything in high doses can have negative side effects

hat says thanks.
  9. WhiteLotus

WhiteLotus

Thanks Received:
    Vitamin C does not prevent the common cold or other illness (excluding Scurvy), and only has a small chance to decrease the severity and longevity of a cold.

hat says thanks.
  10. W1zzard

W1zzard Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    taking vitamin c ONCE you are sick will not help you at all. if you overdose the vitamin c, your kidneys and digestive system will need more power to extract the excess out of your system leaving less resources to fighting whatever infection you have

hat says thanks.
  11. FordGT90Concept

Thanks Received:
    I recall that illness depletes Vitamin C from the body so when you're sick, you need it more so than when you're not.

There's a lot of not-so-scientific info here.

hat says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  12. Steevo

Steevo

Thanks Received:
    http://uk.reuters.com/article/healthNews/idUKCOL85703320070718
    http://abcnews.go.com/Health/ColdandFluQuestions/story?id=5679225

As far as the "Airborne" http://www.nytimes.com/inc_com/inc1204579617407.html?ref=smallbusiness
    I will stick with a multi and leave the marketing gimmics alone. Most likely the studies reporting the shortened symptoms were advertised to public as "new study using XXXXX to shorten the life of the common cold", thus propogating the bonkers vitanuts to jump on that wagon. Something to be said for placebo effect.

I prefer Ny-Quil, coffee and hot tea for treating the symptoms, and if that fails, a few shots, soak it "in cider" and then bedrest.

hat says thanks.
    10 Million points folded for TPU
  13. JC316

JC316 Knows what makes you tick

Thanks Received:
    Ugh, usually I will agree with the masses here, but not this time. Vitamin C is not harmful in high doses IF you take it right and the right kind. The FDA's 70MG is just to prevent scurvy and nothing else.

When I get sick, I take 10,000MG daily with no ill effects. Make sure you take ESTER C, or something that buffers it with calcium and it wont harm your body. It will give you a bad case of the shits, if you aren't used to it, so don't trust that fart. I take the 10g without any digestive problems of any kinds. I start with 5,000mg in the first does, then go 1,000 mg every hour after that.

As for the studies, they are half assed and inconclusive. I mean, why promote something that might hurt the pharmaceutical industry right?

I will put it to you this way. My whole family got sick around the same time, with the same cold. I got over it in 3 days flat with the vitamin C while on immunosuppressants, my sister got over it in 2 days. My mom took no vitamin C and is still showing signs of it 10 days later...

hat says thanks.
  14. Nitro-Max

Nitro-Max New Member

Thanks Received:
    Great Yarmouth, United Kingdom.{East Anglian Coast
    lolz you'll be fine youve just upset your stomach when my daughter was a baby the health visitor once said when she was having problems going to the toilet (sry dunno how to put it lol) she said give her a tiny amount of pure orange juice and that will make her go.

So all youve really done is upset your stomach and you may have the runs for a bit.

you'd get the same effect if you drank too much pure orange juice.

Worst case you might turn orange haha

hat says thanks.
  15. Steevo

Steevo

Thanks Received:
    hat says thanks.
  16. Steevo

Steevo

Thanks Received:
    Infants do not have the capacity to digest such a large amount of sugar and it draws water into the bowel, thus causing a softer stool.

hat and Nitro-Max say thanks.
  17. JC316

JC316 Knows what makes you tick

Thanks Received:
    Yes it is. Only 5 out of 14 people were tested in a small age group over a short period on something that is not a mainstream use for Vitamin C. That is insanely low numbers compared to the population of the planet.

I mean damn. I could say that vitamin A increases penis size, do a test on 5 out of 14 men and prove that it doesn't...

hat says thanks.
  18. DonInKansas

DonInKansas

Thanks Received:
    Sig-quote worthy.:roll:

hat says thanks.
  19. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Just drink a lot of water and eat a lot of fiber. Cleanse the colon!

hat says thanks.
  20. PP Mguire

PP Mguire New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ive always been told by doctors and PHDs that V-C is a crock of shit and dosent do anything.
    Dosent really matter to me.

21. Steevo

Steevo

Thanks Received:
    :laugh:

So in EVERY CASE the same results were seen, and the level of molecular biology that went into the study was wrong too? Checking the midochondrial effiency was crap also then.

hat says thanks.
  22. FordGT90Concept

Thanks Received:
    The same is true of pretty much all vitamins. You only need to take supplements if you are showing symptoms of deficiency. There's really no point of over doing it on water-soluble vitamins and it is very harmful to over do it on fat-soluble vitamins. Besides someone taking a vitamin supplement to get over a vitamin deficiency, they really aren't very beneficial.

Crunching for Team TPU