• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Significant background noise with Audio Technica AT2020

Processor i7 6900k @ 4.3GHZ
Motherboard MSI X99A Godlike Gaming Carbon
Cooling CPU/GPU loop with 480mm and 360mm radiators
Memory 32GB Corsair Dominator 3000MHz C15
Video Card(s) 2x EVGA 1080 SC ACX @ 1830/1330
Storage Samsung 950 Pro M.2 512GB, WD 2TB Black HDD
Case Corsair 900D
Power Supply EVGA 850W Gold 80 plus PSU
Software Windows 10 Pro
Hey guys,

I recently bought a new microphone; the Audio Technica AT2020 USB+ desktop mic. I've been using it for a while now and it sounds great, although the sound of my keyboard is a lot louder than my actual voice and the sound from my air conditioning unit it also quite noisy. I was told that to fix this I should adjust the microphone boost levels, however for some reason the option to do so is not there (in the control panel). I've been looking at reviews and other threads online and couldn't see anything related to the specific microphone, though others seem to have also not been able to adjust the boost option with other microphones. I've attempted to re-install the drivers (which are automatically installed as it is a USB mic) and play with other settings though have not been able to eliminate or even reduce these noises. I was wondering if anyone had experienced something similar and or new how to fix it.

Thanks a lot :toast:

Processor Intel Core i5-3570K
Motherboard Asus P8Z77-V Pro
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 8GB Mushkin Blackline DDR3-1600
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 670
Storage Intel 520 60GB, Seagate Barracuda XT 2TB
Display(s) BenQ 24" XL2420T
Case Corsair 550D
Audio Device(s) Sennheiser HD600, Audeze LCD-3F, Mytek Stereo 192 DSD, La Figaro 339, Burson HA-160, Geek Pulse X
Power Supply Corsair AX650
Mouse steelseries Sensei MLG edition
Keyboard Cooler Master QuickFire Pro
Software Windows 7 64-bit Home Premium
try turning the microphone down and lean into it when you talk.

these are my TS3 settings (I had to fiddle with them)

I also have a mechanical keyboard and recommend you set push to talk to a mouse button (less annoying).
http://i.imgur.com/rNJcadG.png
wish I could be more help.