• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Silencing Help

105tommy105

Hi,
Im looking too make my pc as quiet as possible i have a h70 with the stock 2 fans, a hd5870 stock cooler and 2 other fans that came with my cm 690 ii advanced case.
I have read replacing the h70 fans with noctuas would help, but how much?
Im looking for near silence at idle and as quiet as possible under gaming, rendering load.

Any Help or Tips would be Greatly Appreciated, Thanks

sneekypeet

Retired Super Moderator
System Name EVA-01
Processor Intel i7 13700K
Motherboard Asus ROG Maximus Z690 HERO EVA Edition
Cooling ASUS ROG Ryujin III 360 with Noctua Industrial Fans
Memory PAtriot Viper Elite RGB 96GB @ 6000MHz.
Video Card(s) Asus ROG Strix GeForce RTX 3090 24GB OC EVA Edition
Storage Addlink S95 M.2 PCIe GEN 4x4 2TB
Display(s) Asus ROG SWIFT OLED PG42UQ
Case Thermaltake Core P3 TG
Audio Device(s) Realtek on board > Sony Receiver > Cerwin Vegas
Power Supply be quiet DARK POWER PRO 12 1500W
Mouse ROG STRIX Impact Electro Punk
Keyboard ROG STRIX Scope TKL Electro Punk
Software Windows 11
There are many silent fans on the market now, Noctua's are nice and quiet but will cost you a small fortune. I'm sure others will chime in with a few brands or more specific models to save you a fair bit of money.

FreedomEclipse

~Technological Technocrat~
System Name Codename: Icarus Mk.VI
Processor Intel 8600k@Stock -- pending tuning
Motherboard Asus ROG Strixx Z370-F
Cooling CPU: BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 {1xCorsair ML120 Pro|5xML140 Pro}
Memory 32GB XPG Gammix D10 {2x16GB}
Video Card(s) ASUS Dual Radeon™ RX 6700 XT OC Edition
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 512GB SSD (Boot)|WD SN770 (Gaming)|2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300|2x 2TB Crucial BX500
Display(s) LG GP850-B
Case Corsair 760T (White)
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V573|Speakers: JBL Control One|Auna 300-CN|Wharfedale Diamond SW150
Power Supply Corsair AX760
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Duckyshine Dead LED(s) III
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
Hi,
Im looking too make my pc as quiet as possible i have a h70 with the stock 2 fans, a hd5870 stock cooler and 2 other fans that came with my cm 690 ii advanced case.
I have read replacing the h70 fans with noctuas would help, but how much?
Im looking for near silence at idle and as quiet as possible under gaming, rendering load.

Any Help or Tips would be Greatly Appreciated, Thanks

Id stay away from noctua fans on radiators, even though they have a new PWM powered one thats designed specifically for radiators....they dont spin fast enough IMO.

Best fans to have on a radiator are Scythe Typhoons. either the 1850RPM ones or the 1450rpm ones are great for cooling. the 1850rpm is still silent, though people have said theirs is slightly audiable or emit a 'whining' noise. I have not experienced this however and i Have 3 running in my system.

Consider swapping out the current fans on your case either for 1200rpm silent fans or 1500rpm fans that you yourself can control with a fancontroller like the NZXT Sentry Mix.

Silverstone Air Penetrators come highly recommended with or without a controller.
you might like to try some of corsairs new fans though. I heard they are pretty decent.

last thing....

Consider swapping out the 120mm fans in the top of your case for some 140mm ones, Use some rubber/silicon fan gaskets to dampen and vibrations and youre good to go.

105tommy105

Id stay away from noctua fans on radiators, even though they have a new PWM powered one thats designed specifically for radiators....they dont spin fast enough IMO.

Best fans to have on a radiator are Scythe Typhoons. either the 1850RPM ones or the 1450rpm ones are great for cooling. the 1850rpm is still silent, though people have said theirs is slightly audiable or emit a 'whining' noise. I have not experienced this however and i Have 3 running in my system.

Consider swapping out the current fans on your case either for 1200rpm silent fans or 1500rpm fans that you yourself can control with a fancontroller like the NZXT Sentry Mix.

Silverstone Air Penetrators come highly recommended with or without a controller.
you might like to try some of corsairs new fans though. I heard they are pretty decent.

last thing....

Consider swapping out the 120mm fans in the top of your case for some 140mm ones, Use some rubber/silicon fan gaskets to dampen and vibrations and youre good to go.

I think I'm going to go with Corsair, I like the looks better, for a h70 am I right in thinking I need a 2 SP120 Fans because they are static pressure because I've heard they are a lot better at pushing air through heatsinks, where as the regular fans struggle?

FreedomEclipse

~Technological Technocrat~
System Name Codename: Icarus Mk.VI
Processor Intel 8600k@Stock -- pending tuning
Motherboard Asus ROG Strixx Z370-F
Cooling CPU: BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 {1xCorsair ML120 Pro|5xML140 Pro}
Memory 32GB XPG Gammix D10 {2x16GB}
Video Card(s) ASUS Dual Radeon™ RX 6700 XT OC Edition
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 512GB SSD (Boot)|WD SN770 (Gaming)|2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300|2x 2TB Crucial BX500
Display(s) LG GP850-B
Case Corsair 760T (White)
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V573|Speakers: JBL Control One|Auna 300-CN|Wharfedale Diamond SW150
Power Supply Corsair AX760
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Duckyshine Dead LED(s) III
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
I think I'm going to go with Corsair, I like the looks better, for a h70 am I right in thinking I need a 2 SP120 Fans because they are static pressure because I've heard they are a lot better at pushing air through heatsinks, where as the regular fans struggle?

Im not sure about using the corsair fans for radiators anymore. Corsair have stated that the fans that come with their H80 are better then the SP 120 performance fans. Stock H80 fans push 7.7mmH2o when then are at full speed, the SP120's only do 3.1mmH2o at full speed.

I assume corsair use the same stock fans for all their watercooling units