1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Silent fans with good airflow

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by gasolin, Jul 4, 2013.

1. gasolin

Thanks Received:
    I have ordered this "silent" case today
    http://www.silentpcreview.com/Nanoxia_Deep_Silence_1 (with temperature and noise levels) and because the airflow from such "silent" cases like the cooler master silencio 650 and the corsair Obsidian 550D and the one i have ordered is more ok or good enough for a silent office pc where children can play there small games with no problems, i want some advise on some good silent fans with above avarage airflow for a silent fan, because i do somtimes play games like need for speed and crysis (1-3).

I have an i7 870 oc'ed to 3.52 ghz, an cooler master v8, 2x4 gb ram, 1 msi tf gtx 660 oc (is being used with the stock oc) 2 ssd's and one wd green power 2 tb harddrive.

I dont want to spend more the about 50€ for 2x120mm and 1x140mm for 3 silent fans with above avarage airflow (for a silent,quiet fan) and i dont care if they ar black,red,yellow as long as they are good.

What should i look at?

2. VulkanBros

VulkanBros

Thanks Received:
    Be Quiet! ..... there fans are some of the most silent - yet powerful that I have used - but there are probably other fans that are equally good.

Crunching for Team TPU
  3. ChristTheGreat

ChristTheGreat

Thanks Received:
    What is the definition of silent for you? as Silent can be 20dba for someone and 35 for another one.

You can hear a small airflow? or not?

If so, I would say Fractal fan are really nice! Instead I know Enermax TB fan are really silent but airflow is less than fractal..

Crunching for Team TPU
  4. buildzoid

buildzoid

Thanks Received:
    Noctua fans. And from my own expirience I can say that cooler master sickle flows are really quite if they aren't pushing through a radiator. Nzxt also makes some quite fans that don't complain when undervolted.

5. gasolin

Thanks Received:
    I do have fractal fans in my fractal core design 3000, but i can hear them (have 5) about 9 0'clock on my akasa fan controller, the only one who is silent other then the airflow(high rpm), is the one on the back om my case.

Don't wanna use more then 3 fans i my new case (because of noise)

What is silent? My samsung galaxy note 2 with a 1.6 mhz quad core cpu is silent, a macbook air,ipad is surpose to be 100% silent, a bentley, maybach is very silent.

I can hear my fans when i watch tv (with sound), mabye i won't notice my fans when i play games with the volume turned a bit up, to get in this "crysis" situation where i am trying not to die (don't think i can hear my psu and cpu cooler, my gpu is one very silent gpu where only a few is more silent).

I just want it to be silent all the time, i don't want to be able to hear if my pc is on or not. Then i can enjoy music,movies and games at any levels without being distracted by my fans (turning them all off my pc is very quiet,silent)

6. gasolin

Thanks Received:
    But which model?

All silent fans from the same brand like cooler master,noctua,nzxt isn't equally silent

7. Bo$$

Bo$$ Lab Extraordinaire

Thanks Received:
    Yes Fractal Design have some of the quietest fans. I have some rated for 13dB they are amazing

8. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Agreed. The 92mm fans that came with my case are surprisingly quiet. Which is pretty amazing for a fan under 120mm.

9. VulkanBros

VulkanBros

Thanks Received:
    You should really try Be Quiet! Silent Wings Pure or Silent Wings 2

They use unique airflow-optimized fan blades and high-tech fluid dynamic bearing with copper core and my two Silent Wings Pure are rated 15 db(A) - so they are virtually silent.

gasolin says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  10. gasolin

Thanks Received:
    well i have not 1, 2 or 3 fans i have 5 fractal casefans (not in any way near max voltage,rpm) and theres really no point in having 5 fans if you don't use them. 1 may have 13 db of noise but 2 vill make a noise of 19 db, 4 is 25 db loud and 5 more then 25 db with the same rpm and size of the fans, is the 13 db at lowest voltage or highest voltage?

I have the fractal design core 3000 USB 2.0 (other then that the case is the same)

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Fractal_Design/Core_3000/6.html

11. ChristTheGreat

ChristTheGreat

Thanks Received:
    I do have a Enermax TB Silence which is also ultra quiet:

http://www.enermax.com/home.php?fn=eng/product_a1_1_2&lv0=4&lv1=32&no=143

I do have the R2 120mm, I do find it quiet, same has for the 140mm... if you need something that doesn't make any sound, There's noctua maybe, but Enermax TB Silence, this is silent.

Remember that no sound = not high airflow....

gasolin says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  12. gasolin

Thanks Received:
    The case in denmark where i live costs what's equal to 98€,if i spend up to 50€ on some better fans i would get something better, i don't think they would use quiet case fans that costs about 50€ in a silent case for only 98€.

For 50€ i can get som very silent fans or some with very good airflow, i want a bit of both, silent fans with and above avarage airflow (better then the nanoxia standard one's), don't think that's impossible

13. gasolin

Thanks Received:
    They are cheap in denmark, just under 40€(for 3 fans), so i think i will buy them if i deside to upgrade

14. Roph

Roph

Thanks Received:
    I've recently put some Cooler Master Blade Masters either side of my radiator, it's incredibly quiet.

I'm using the Arctic F12 in my case as an intake, again it's very quiet - even at full 12v. Both aren't massively over-priced like noctuas are.

15. de.das.dude

de.das.dude Pro Indian Modder

Thanks Received:
    cooler master sickle flow fansare pretty quiet.

16. james888

james888

Thanks Received:
    Corsair fans, cougar fans, everything mentioned above.

Jetster says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  17. RCoon

RCoon Gaming Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Corsair Silent series
    Coolermaster Sickleflow
    Bitfenix Spectre
    SilentWings
    Noctua(pricey)
    Cougar turbine

18. gasolin

Thanks Received:
    Could it be an advantage to use 2 of the same fans for intake (2x120mm in front) and som other models in the back for exhaust (1x140mm) ?

What is most importent, an extreme good airflow so i can run them at low rpm and there for be quiet,silent or that they are very silent so they can be used at max rpm where it's very hard to her them?

Its not only importent they are quiet,silent they must also have a good airflow

Last edited: Jul 5, 2013
  19. james888

james888

Thanks Received:
    No fan has really good airflow at low rpm. All you can get is a fan with good bearings that spins at a speed that has acceptable noise.

I have 4 corsair sp's in push pull. They are pretty quiet and I am happy. If I want silent I downvolt them to 7v. A fan controller might be what you really need.

Crunching for Team TPU
  20. gasolin

Thanks Received:
  21. nleksan

Thanks Received:
    Trust me when I say you're better off getting the Corsair SP/AF120 PERFORMANCE Edition along with a fan controller, than you are ever buying the incredibly pathetic and worthless Quiet Editions!

Also, airflow (CFM) is only half of the equation when it comes to a fan's performance. The other is almost always overlooked unless it is for heatsinks or radiators, but static pressure (mmH2O, inH2O, mmAg, Pascals) IS JUST AS IF NOT MORE IMPORTANT THAN AIRFLOW VOLUME IN CASE COOLING TOO!!!!

People don't realize how incredibly restrictive cases are... For example, the "grills" built into cases, specifically the visible ones in the rear that are either designed to look like stamped-out squares or (in better cases) Hexx Mesh? They are so restrictive that they cost you 49-63% of your fan's airflow!!!! And that's just getting air from outside to the fan!
    One of the best things anyone can do for case airflow, aside from cable management and regular cleaning, is to cut out the integrated fan grills and replace them with the typical wire fan grills. Wire fan grills typically only restrict 4-9% of airflow, depending on how many concentric rings there are, but they also do not cause turbulence. This is because the "wires" are round, allowing air to flow around them gently, unlike the flat stamped grills in which air impacts and you get little dead zones everywhere. You can literally double your case's airflow simply by removing all integrated grills and replacing them with inexpensive wire ones.

Furthermore, the integrated grills' turbulence is a major source of noise; when cut out and replaced with wire grills, your fans will become very noticeably quieter. Also, they will be much more consistent in their speed, airflow velocity increases, and you're not "using up" half your fans' static pressure just getting the air into the case, meaning it can much more easily get past things like hard drive cages or wires (although you should always remove anything you aren't using; excess drive cages, or even just the sleds if the cages won't come out, wires if they go nowhere, all cables should be hidden and always run as many together as possible). Just look at your case as the wind tunnel it is, and think "What can I do to make air flow the smoothest from the front to the back?"

gasolin says thanks.
  22. gasolin

Thanks Received:
    I do have ordered the af series, that's because i wanted to get some silent fans with a better airflow then the standard ones in my new case and they are very silent (have read some reviews)

Interresting with the back grill, on my fractal design core 3000 it's actually this one who is most silent, i can only hear airflow from the rear fan when it's at maximum, more or less all the other 3-4 case fans i have, have som slightly high pitched (not loud but noticble)sound .

The rear fan is not going to be a intake it's gonna be a outtake,exhaust,the sucks hot air out of my cabinet

I can return the fans with in 14 days, so if i deside to do that based on sound and temperature, what would you recomend me to get as an upgrade of my case fans?

Last edited: Jul 8, 2013
  23. james888

james888

Thanks Received:
    The back exhaust fan is the quietest because it has the least air restriction. I can take my loudest fan and put nothing in front of it, and it is pretty quiet. Put a fan grill, air filter, radiator/heatsink in front of it and it will get louder.

Crunching for Team TPU
  24. gasolin

Thanks Received:
    I have thought about using this round grill where the air can more easy go in or out of my computer at the back, with less restriction (a 120mm or 140mm round grill is not that expensive), my new case is of course new i might try it in a month or so.

With less air restriction i can turn the fan speed down a bit so it's more silent and still have a good airflow

25. Vario

Vario

Thanks Received:
    Cougar CF-V12HP, virtually silent but nice airflow. ~$14-18 each.