1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Silent gaming rig

Discussion in 'System Builder's Advice' started by proren, Apr 29, 2014.

1. proren New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hey guys,
    I'm planning to buy a new rig, after getting tired of the LGA775 platform.
    Budget-wise, just the cheapest possible parts while preserving the *SILENT GAMING* concept.

I picked the following:
    CPU: Intel Core i5 4570 3.2Ghz
    CPU Cooler: Coolermaster hyper 212 evo
    MOBO: Gigabyte GA-H87-D3H
    GPU: Gigabyte GTX660 3GB DDR5 OC GV-N660OC-3GD
    RAM: Corsair 8Gb Kit (4G X2) CML8GX3M2A1600C9W CL-9-9-9-24 LP + 1.35V
    SSD: Crucial m500 240GB (already owned)
    PSU: Seasonic PSU S12II-620W Active PFC
    Case: Fractal Design Define R4 Black Pearl

Notes:
    - Not planning to OverClock.
    - This rig sums up to approx 1150$ (I'm not from the US, so I just converted the price).
    - Please recommend only NVIDIA GPUs, as I'd like to be eligible for the upcoming DirectX 12.

Requests / Questions:
    1. I'll be happy to receive your feedback regarding this new rig.
    2. Is the GPU I chose an overkill for 1080P smooth gaming for today's games & some in the foreseeable future?
    3. I'd like to know if using the same GPU I have now (Asus 7750HD-1GD5), on the new rig mentioned above,
    will perform better at 1080P gaming ? or is it maxed out with my Core 2 duo E6600 running at 2.4GHz ?
    This is my current rig:
    CPU: Intel E6600
    CPU Cooler: Arctic Cooler freezer 11 lp
    MOBO: Intel D945GCNL
    GPU: Asus 7750 HD-1GD5
    RAM: Kingston 2 x 2GB
    SSD: Crucial m500 240GB
    PSU: Seasonic 520W
    Case: Corsair 200R

Thanks in advance! :rolleyes:

Last edited: Apr 29, 2014
  2. Devon68

Devon68

Thanks Received:
    Everything seems nice. Just to future proof you PC a bit
    you could go with:
    CPU: Intel Core i5 4670k 3.2Ghz
    GPU: MSI Gaming TF GTX760 2GB DDR5 OC

This is the baseline PC from Maximum PC may 2014 edition:
    [​IMG]

Now the power supply and case you have chosen are great and for a silent PC.

proren says thanks.
  3. proren New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for the quick reply!
    Upping to GTX760 won't force me to buy a higher wattage PSU than Seasonic 620W ? (as Maximum PC suggests..)
    BTW - I'm not planning to OverClock, so I don't really see the justification behind getting a K serie CPU, or a Z serie MOBO for that manner.

4. Dent1

Thanks Received:

If you want a high end video card then there is no such thing as "silent" gaming. Unless you are prepared to buy a water-cooling system. For "near" silent you will need a passive GPU heat sink, which you'll struggle to find.

Now if you're happy with near silent when NOT gaming and noisy when gaming. Ignore my advice.

proren says thanks.
  5. Devon68

Devon68

Thanks Received:
    In that case the Intel Core i5 4570 3.2Ghz you chose is perfect.
    The 620W will be fine. I looked at some requirements for the card and one manufacturer says 500W minimum PSU so the 620W is plenty.

6. proren New Member

Thanks Received:
    I will be happy with that scenario.
    Problem is that I'd like that GPU to be silent at idle, as some are too noticeably noisy for my taste.

7. proren New Member

Thanks Received:
    Grear :)
    Does anyone have an opinion regarding Sparkle Geforce GTX760 2GB RETAIL ?

8. Norton

Norton WCG-TPU Team Captain

Thanks Received:
    If you want quiet I would suggest a better cooler- Noctua U14S (v large cooler, oversized quiet fan) and yes it will fit. Go with a Phanteks PH-TC12DX if you can't deal with Noctua's fan colors

proren says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  9. proren New Member

Thanks Received:
    Disregard the Sparkle, I gather it's not exactly the top of the line.
    Hows Gigabyte Geforce GTX760 Windforce X3 2GB RETAIL ?

10. proren New Member

Thanks Received:
    Does it perform as well as the evo ?

11. Norton

Norton WCG-TPU Team Captain

Thanks Received:
    Both will do better than the Evo- Noctua is better than the Phanteks and quieter- Phanteks one comes with two fans

Crunching for Team TPU
  12. thebluebumblebee

thebluebumblebee

Thanks Received:
    Are you trying to build a silent rig or a quiet rig. Big difference. Check the GPU reviews here on TPU for their noise levels. You don't even need a 500 watt psu. (95 watts for the CPU and 140 watts for the GPU) You could build this with a quality 360 watt PSU like the Seasonic SSR-360GP. Bump your GPU up to the silent MSI GTX 760 Gaming and bump the PSU up to the SeaSonic SSR-450RM. Really! This is all the PSU you need, unless you are thinking about SLI in the future. If you were to wait for the "GTX 860" based on Maxwell, most likely the wattage would be about the same as the GTX 660.

I too would suggest a different CPU cooler.

If the 7750 is doing everything that you need it to do, then you do not need to upgrade it. Nice thing is that you could try it and upgrade the GPU later.

proren says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  13. Dent1

Thanks Received:
    Most GPUs will be near silent when idle, but like a vacuum when gaming.

14. Devon68

Devon68

Thanks Received:
    But if he doesn't plan on overclocking why pay that much for the Noctua cooler, even the Phanteks isn't cheap.Wouldn't this be better Noctua U12S (it's a noctua so it's probably quiet but unfortunately it does not perform better than the hyper 212 evo (maybe 1-2 degrees Celsius)).

15. thebluebumblebee

thebluebumblebee

Thanks Received:
    Just not true, anymore. I have a silent @ 100% load Asus GTX 660 Ti. The GPU in my link only goes to 27 db under load. That's quieter than most houses.
    Cooler Master is just not know for quiet fans. I have a 212+ and it is not bad, but it could be quieter. The OP has stated that a silent computer is desired and we're just pointing towards quieter items.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2014
    Crunching for Team TPU
  16. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    I think that's more true of reference design GPUs since they tend to blow air out the back like a vacuum would, but not with say, a TwinFrozr or DirectCU.

I've found my Zalman CNPS9900MAX to do a pretty good job. Not that this is a huge issue for you, but I tend to advocate for it for skt2011 since it doesn't cover any of your DIMM slots since they're packed together pretty tightly. It's a tall and skinny cooler that goes a pretty good job. I never hear the CPU fan, my case fans drown it out and alone it's pretty quiet but doesn't move a whole lot of air so some quiet case fans would still be in order.

proren says thanks.
  17. Vario

Vario

Thanks Received:
    Replace the fans on the 212 with two Cougars and you won't have a noise problem.

proren says thanks.
  18. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    I'd recommend 1 x 8 GiB over 2 x 4 GiB. 16 GiB is going to be the minimum memory requirement for a lot of games (Star Citizen already established it as the minimum) over the next few years as 64-bit becomes the norm. Yes, there's a performance penalty until the second DIMM is populated but that's a quick, cheap, and easy upgrade.

You also didn't mention Windows anywhere so I hope you already have a valid license you wish to install.

If you don't plan on overclocking, you can save money by using Intel's stock HSF. It isn't loud.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2014
    proren says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  19. proren New Member

Thanks Received:
    Wow, first all of thank you all so much for taking part in my build !
    I took into account everything you guys wrote, and decided the following:
    1. I droped the aftermarket cpu cooler for now, if the temps & dBA wouldn't be reasonable then I'll switch back.
    2. Replaced the RAM for a single stick of 8 GB.
    3. Since there's almost no price difference between LGA1155 & 1150 in my country, should Haswell be the clear choise for this build ?
    4. I'll postpone the GPU purchase to see if the Asus 7750 HD-1GD5 will cater to my gaming needs with the new CPU combination.
    However I'm not sure the PSU I chose is the best out of my options, could you guys take a look please ?
    these are the PSU options I have from my local retailers: (prices should be divided by 3.5 to get USD currency)
    image 1 ||||| image 2

So this is what I came up with so far:
    Intel Core i5 4570 3.2Ghz
    Gigabyte GA-H77-D3H
    Corsair 8Gb CMV8GX3M1A1600C11 CL11
    Crucial m500 240GB SSD (already owned)
    Asus 7750 HD-1GD5 (already owned - will be replaced to a higher end GPU if not satisfied)
    Fractal Design Define R4 Black Pearl

- regarding the Windows OS, I'm good to go.

20. GreiverBlade

GreiverBlade

Thanks Received:
    am i the only one who think this argument is null with current nV gen? nV: DX11 AMD: DX11.2 but both will work with DX12 albeit the fact that no one will have the last feature enabled (in the current gen) DX12 is not out and DX12 gpu gen is not near to come out (who knows ... still)
    nice for a HTPC :D you can keep it like that, look in my sys specs i managed to upgrade a basic HP compaq DC7700p (Salvager MkIV) a bit for a HTPC (near silent also)

also i rarely hear my main rig (µReborn) with the setup i have be it in gaming or other activities (except in benchmark like Heaven and Valley :roll: )

edit.
    a ivy bridge motherboard and a haswell cpu? you might want to change the mobo for a H87/B85 chipset i think

21. proren New Member

Thanks Received:
    I was trying building an 1155 based rig and an 1150 one, must have pasted the wrong mobo. thanks for noticing ! :)
    About the DX12, I just think there's more chance it'll be supported in Nvidia rather than AMD.
    But regardless, I'm currently using an AMD based card and the DVI port went to hell after about 9 months, so it's also a consideration.

Very nice specs btw.

22. GreiverBlade

GreiverBlade

Thanks Received:
    i don't think so, since AMD is already on 11.2 and nV on 11 but for the next gen they will likely both support it (i use a AMD card due to the BF4 bundle and Mantle tho :roll:)

no problem at all, pretty much suspected it was a light mistake.

23. Potatoking

Potatoking

Thanks Received:
    are you going to use your old system? you could take ram and psu from it. My 4770k + GTX 770 won't take more that 400w (measured). Don't agree with 1x8gb stick, board has 4 slots, so you can go 2x4gb now and add 2x8gb later. (but i doubt it considering ddr3 price evolution).
    CM 212 has bad fan, it makes clicking noise. I always use freezer7 for non K systems.

24. proren New Member

Thanks Received:
    I was planning to make it a deticated download station, working 24/7, and barry it inside my closet :)
    The RAM from my currect pc is DDR2 677MHz, I won't be able to use it anywhere..
    Just checked, and yeah your right, it's 4 slots, forgot it exsists. thanks!
    Regarding the PSU, I want to overkill a LITTLE, so I won't have any issues FOR SURE, the reason is that I had one failure already in the past.

GreiverBlade - what bundle ? does BF4 works better with AMD's Mantle ??
    Is this your card ? (*IN A MAGICIAN'S VOICE*)
    MSI Radeon R9 270 Gaming 2GB Battlefield 4

25. Potatoking

Potatoking

Thanks Received: