1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Silly external HDD question

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by bubba_000, Feb 4, 2008.

1. bubba_000

bubba_000 New Member

Thanks Received:
    HI. I have a 3.5'' 250gb seagate 7200.10 hdd in a vantec nextar 3 enclosure. Is it OK if i store and use the drive vertically? will it shortent its lifespan?? I have all my data on it so if it dies it would be a disaster

Thanks in advance
  2. DR.Death

DR.Death New Member

Thanks Received:
    u can put a drive anywheres it dose not madder what kills them is moving them or bumping them when they are on
    bubba_000 says thanks.
  3. keakar

keakar

Thanks Received:
    most external drives come with stands to put them on there sides so you are worrying for nothing, but like dr. death said if you knock it around while it is in operation you CAN damage it so make sure it cant fall over if you put it on its side.

also its just my opinion with no facts to back it up but i try to avoid laying it upside down because i dont think its good to do that.
    bubba_000 says thanks.
  4. bubba_000

bubba_000 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ok,thats good to know, thanks for the replies. Altough i noticed that it vibrates more when its vertical than when its horizontal. Maybe because it has some rubber feet on its side but the stand doesn't.

And while we're at it, do you have any idea how i can read the HDDs SMART? I tried speedfan and everest, but none of them recognize the drive.

Again, thank you.
  5. ktr

ktr

Thanks Received:
    SMART does not work when using USB interface.