1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

SilverStone 850W PSU Blown, now fear damaged components

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Eric(McPants), Mar 5, 2012.

1. Eric(McPants) New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi All,

I'm very new on here so hello everyone.

So on to my problem, I have just built a PC for me and my family, done the usual sold all my old bits on Eb*y and bought a motherboard R3E, a new processor 950 and memory Muskin998953 x 12GB but decided to keep my old SilverStone 850W PSU as it has never caused me any problems till now.

So built it all up flicked the power switch on the back of the PSU and BANG the PSU blew.

My worry now is that I damaged the motherboard, Chip, Graphics card the lot.

Can anyone offer any guildance on this subject? I know I need a new power supply I'm just wondering if anyone thinks I have damaged the rest of my bits?

Regards Eric

2. redeye

redeye

Thanks Received:
    was there a bang?... any sparks?... puff of smoke?...

if your psu protection circuits were tripped, then no...
    but, if you connected something backwards, or shorted something, perhaps maybe.. but, get a new psu... perhaps a seasonic x-750... or the shiny new seasonic platinum 860.

3. kyle2020 Guest

Unfortunately you won't know the extent of any damage until you install a new psu and test the machine.

Obviously look for blatant signs of any electrical damage such as burn marks, melted areas, blown capacitors, and so on.

Hope everything survived! Was it down to a fault with the unit or installation error that caused it to die a death?

4. Eric(McPants) New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for the quick replies.

Firstly there was a Bang and a spark, Surely the PSU will have some sort of protection on it for this sort of thing?

Not sure if it was just he fact that the power supply hadn't been on for a couple of weeks,
    or I've wired something up wrong but I don't think so I followed he manual to the letter.

5. BarbaricSoul

BarbaricSoul

Thanks Received:
    Kinda hard to hook up a PSU wrong, unless you did something like hooking the 8 pin CPU power connector to a video card. But even at that, you would have to force the plug into the video card connection. The wire connections are made so they can only be plugged in where they belong. Only way to tell if any other hardware was hurt is to hook up another PSU and try your computer out. Good Luck

Crunching for Team TPU
  6. heky

heky

Thanks Received:
    What exact model was your PSU? I have a Strider 850W. Its a modular unit, and what i have noticed is just what BarbaricSoul has said. On this PSU it IS possible to hook the 8pin CPU power connector to a video card, and vice-versa. So it could have been your mistake, you could have used the wrong cable and/or connector.

7. DonInKansas

DonInKansas

Thanks Received:
    You won't know until you test the rig with a new PSU. Just take a quick look at your mobo for blown caps and obvious damage; if there's none there then give it a go with a new unit.

8. claylomax

claylomax

Thanks Received:
    Can you tell me the exact model number? I'll find out the OEM and the system protections that might have; but just Silverstone 850w is not going to help much.

9. Eric(McPants) New Member

Thanks Received:
    model No SST-ST85ZF

claylomax says thanks.
  10. heky

heky

Thanks Received:
    Over Current Protection, Over Voltage Protection, Short Circuit Protection, No Load Operation

Hm...i wonder what killed it. Since this is not a modular unit, you couldnt have mixed up the cables. How old was it?

The actual manufacturer of the PSU is Enhance Electronics, with some parts built by ETASIS Electronics.

11. n-ster

Thanks Received:
    it happens, and it seems your PSU is of good enough quality that it shouldn't have blown up anything inside.

Take out your PSU and try to sniff around and look around to see if there are any obvious signs. Until you get a new PSU you probably won't be able to tell if something was damaged or not

12. Eric(McPants) New Member

Thanks Received:
    I did have to add an 6 pin to 8 pin atx power extention because I only had one 8 pin atx connection and my motherboard takes two but don't see how that would have caused it.

A friend reckons this happens alot when a psu is always on then is off for a good bit of time and when it is turned back on the shock of power going through it blows it.

13. n-ster

Thanks Received:
    newer PSUs, in my experience, don't have this problem

14. Norton

Norton WCG-TPU Team Captain

Thanks Received:
    ATX power is usually 4 or 8 pin not 6 pin..... sounds like you used on of the 6 pin PCIE connectors with an 8 pin PCIE adapter in an 8 pin ATX power socket.

I'm pretty sure that caused your problem....

Crunching for Team TPU
  15. BarbaricSoul

BarbaricSoul

Thanks Received:
    kinda thinking the samething

Crunching for Team TPU
  16. Eric(McPants) New Member

Thanks Received:
    No an 8 pin PCi-E connector will not fit in an 8 pin ATX power connection are different connections and will not fit, this was a 6 pin PCI-E to 8 pin ATX power connection.

17. Eric(McPants) New Member

Thanks Received:
  18. BarbaricSoul

BarbaricSoul

Thanks Received:
    That's what Norton and I are saying you did wrong. AFAIK, you are not suppose to use a PCI-E power connection for ATX power. The voltage/amperage requirements are different for the two. My XFX PSU has two ATX connections, one 2*4 pin and one 8 pin. Your board may have worked like that for awhile, but I don't think it was designed for that.

Norton says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  19. Norton

Thanks Received:
    Your PSU has a 6pin EPS connector- not sure if a 6pin-8pin EPS/ATX adapter works with that setup but I'm pretty sure you can't use a 6 pin PCIE for 8pin ATX

Crunching for Team TPU
  20. Eric(McPants) New Member

Thanks Received:
    this is a cable is made by AKASA who also make PSUs AKASA,AK-CB051,LEAD, 6 PIN PCIE TO 8 PIN ATX12V

Norton says thanks.
  21. Depth

Thanks Received:
    PCI-E to CPU?

22. Norton

Thanks Received:
    Learn something new every day- 1st time I've seen such a thing....thanks for the link/part #

That PSU has 4 rails- one of them may have overloaded causing your problem. I would try to follow the burn until you find the problem... with it sparking before shut down you should be able to find the damage in the PSU and if there's any on the board.

*** EDIT- also check around your board... you mave have caught a wire under one of your standoffs or pinched one somewhere else... ****

Last edited: Mar 5, 2012
    Crunching for Team TPU
  23. claylomax

claylomax

Thanks Received: