1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

SimCity 2.0 Patch Epic Fail

Discussion in 'Games' started by entropy13, Apr 24, 2013.

1. digibucc

digibucc

Thanks Received:
    I have no other way to say it: a general statement like that is simply misplaced. especially considering that they are the two biggest publishers releasing "AAA" games.

Crysis 1, Battlefield series, American McGees Alice, Dead space dragon age, mass effect series.

that's just EA. I honestly consider ubisoft the better of the two. I wholly admit I hate the companies, and I wholly admit that they interfere too much in the creative process for the sake of profit alone. My post history confirms I am not fan of these companies.

But with that beings said, to say none of the games they release are worth buying and enjoying is just not true. Even with a "show them with your money" attitude, you should be buying the games that are GOOD to let them see the difference between good and bad.
    Crap Daddy, pds_rex, MT Alex and 2 others say thanks.
  2. NinkobEi

NinkobEi

Thanks Received:
    Recommendation: Buy games from Amazon/Steam that way when the game craps the bed you can get a refund. EA doesn't offer that option and if you try to put a charge hold on your credit card they say they will ban your origin account - - and all other games you own will go *poof*.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2013
  3. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    [​IMG]
    Depth and digibucc say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  4. tastegw

tastegw

Thanks Received:
    Lol! Ea is so known for ruining great games, not surprised on this one one bit.
  5. pdimar1

pdimar1

Thanks Received:
  6. mastrdrver

mastrdrver

Thanks Received:
    It's in new ones too. I've never had much problem with the air pollution bug, but with the new region I started after the patch, I have two cities in a 16 city region and my second city got dumped on with air pollution even though the wind was blow from the edge of the map and the other city had less then 15k.

I think the air pollution bug may be related to the bug with the wind suddenly changing direction. If you look at the wind map before you start a new city and then look at it after (I think it's industry) a little big, you'll notice that it has changed direction. The most I've seen it change was about 45 degrees. And no, I've never seen it change direction after the initial change. In my experience, it usually rotates to the left if you had the camera positioned so that the wind would be blowing against your back.

The killer for me has always been traffic. I'm fine until about 100k, and then the city usually goes in to grid lock. On one city I had the highway running through the town and had grid lock that was causing me to lose money. Come to find out, traffic was stopping at the intersection that's created when those pass-through avenues turn back in to highways. There was no reason as to why they were stopped either. I sat there and watched it for a while. About half would do u-turns and were clogging up traffic going the other way too. Trash, fires, crimes, sickness were all out of control because no one could get anywhere. Before the traffic disaster, it was making a cool 10k+ an hour. Now it can barely break even.
    FordGT90Concept says thanks.
  7. remixedcat

remixedcat

Thanks Received:
    None of the sims know about inrix traffic
  8. Depth

Thanks Received:
    I've been building semi-grid cities in a "brick" layout to compensate for this. 4-way intersections are horribly inefficient once congestion starts rising and from there it's just a snowball effect. You can look at New York for an example of this.

I use ONLY 3-way intersections, where there are only two possible choices for a driver; A or B. With a 4-way intersection, A, B or C.

A car coming from the west heading east in a 4-way intersection has to stop at red light if anyone from another direction are taking a left hand turn. Traffic can only flow both directions when the crossing traffic is stopped and left hand turns are stopped. A left hand turn from the west lane will also block all the east and north lanes. A 4-way allows for two other directional lanes to turn left, in addition to the crossing traffic. If there is an equal load of cars (i.e. traffic jam), your light will be green 25% of the time.

Going west to east in a 3-way intersection, you can only get blocked from oncoming traffic turning left, or northbound traffic turning left; so for an equal traffic load your light will be green 33% of the time.

This layout is less efficient for small towns due to the increased driving distance, but the economy will be adapted for this from the start and when traffic becomes an issue you essentially have the electronic version of the "Who Goes First" scenario with one car removed.

Note: This strategy helps but remember to leave space between intersections for traffic jams to form, otherwise the traffic jam spills into other intersections. Traffic is the true killer in this game.
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2013
  9. mastrdrver

mastrdrver

Thanks Received:
    My problem had to do with the intersection leaving the city, the one that connects back up to the highway. There's nothing I can do about it.

Other then that, I don't have too many problems.
  10. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    You need to figure out why they are coming/going from the region and satisfy those needs to reduce traffic on that road. Making use of the rail connection and airport(s) also helps.
    Crunching for Team TPU