1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

SIMM and DIMM together... works?

Discussion in 'Motherboards & Memory' started by saarxee, May 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. saarxee New Member

Thanks Received:
    i have a two memory cards, type ddr1 and 256mb.
    If I combine the two cards, they will work better and no blue screens? (BSODs)

2. pigulici

pigulici

Thanks Received:
    No, it will not work, it will not boot...

3. saarxee New Member

Thanks Received:
    but is works for me...

4. RCoon

RCoon Gaming Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    "DIMMs do not have backwards compatibility with SIMMs, therefore it is not possible to slowly simply upgrade the memory modules. Moving from SIMMs to DIMMs required a replacement of the motherboard which could sometimes mean the replacement of the processor"

I think you're confused.

5. saarxee New Member

Thanks Received:
    works fine for me... but BDOSs for sometimes..

6. RCoon

RCoon Gaming Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    SIMM's are single line, DIMMS are dual line. If your PC is running, it's operating on a single Memory module, and will blue screen when it tries to use whatever is in the other slot. I'm amazed it gets past the POST at all. It is not wise to use both at once. At all.

7. lilhasselhoffer

lilhasselhoffer

Thanks Received:
    Let's define a few terms.

SIMM - Single in-line memory module
    DIMM - Dual in-line memory module
    SO-DIMM - Small outline dual in-line memory module (the stuff you use in laptops)

The two types of memory have pin connections on both sides, but on a SIMM the opposite side is redundant and does nothing. SIMMs died out nearly two decades ago, as producing DIMMs allowed for more capacity.

So now that we are on the same page, what in Hades is the question here? You seem to imply that you can put SIMMs and DIMMs together, and have them work. This is impossible, as no hardware offered the ability to physically install both types of RAM at the same time. They have fundamentally different pin configurations, and therefore would not actually fit.

You use the term "card." Is that a memory module? What exactly are you working with? Are you trying to install Windows 7 on a system that is 20 years old, and getting errors because you don't have enough RAM?

I would suggest two things here. Do a little research, and make sure we are all on the same page with terminology. It makes trouble shooting easier. Frame your problem with some extra information. Nobody can offer you help if you can't tell us what is going on. Address these two issues and we can help, otherwise we're not really capable of helping because we don't know what the problem actually is.

RCoon says thanks.
  8. AlienIsGOD

AlienIsGOD

Thanks Received:
    there probably isn't a problem in the 1st place. OP makes threads like these asking vague questions and then disregards the answers given...

Crunching for Team TPU
  9. Tatty_One

Tatty_One Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I don't see how it could possibly work, apart from the format already mentioned, most dimms are 168 or 184 pin and most simms are 30 or 72 pin, now unless you can find a motherboard that supports both, which you can't I think someone is either bored or smokin da stuff! .... thread closed for sanity's sake (mine :))

Aquinus, AlienIsGOD and Mindweaver say thanks.