1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Simple cooling question

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by -Spanky-, Mar 13, 2009.

1. -Spanky-

-Spanky- New Member

Thanks Received:
    In my bunker complex, well below the Saskatchewan
    I have a E6600, right now I'm running it at 350x9 3.15GHz. I have had Orthos running for about 28 minutes and Real Temp says a max of 64C. Speedfan says 59C.

Is that on the warm side of things? I have one of the older GeminII's (the one that fits 2 fans, but I currently have no fans on it). I was wondering if it would be wise to get a different cooler or just keep this one? Thanks.

*EDIT*
    Ran for 32 minutes, never got above 64C in Real Temp. I closed it and within 3 seconds it went down to 50C.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2009
  2. paulm

paulm New Member

Thanks Received:
    Your fine. My E6600 @ 3.2 maxed at 79C in about 15 minutes and averaged 75 or so (stock cooling)...

I'd say you should get a different cooler if you want to overclock any further, but if your going to stay at 3.15GHz, leave it be.

3. -Spanky-

-Spanky- New Member

Thanks Received:
    I may be wanting to do 375x9 for 3.37GHz to match up with some ram I'm gonna get (MCH Latch 400mhz, 2.66D for 1000mhz) but chances are I won't be going above 3.40GHz.

I was looking at the Sunbeam Core-Contact Freezer, I'm just wondering if there will be that much difference. Somewhere down the road I plan to get a quad-core and I don't imagine I will need to overclock that for a while to meet my needs.

4. Supreme0verlord

Thanks Received:
    If you want a really good heatsink, then get the Xigmatek HDT-S1284EE! I don't have one yet (just ordered one) but I hear nothing but good things about it.

-Spanky- says thanks.
  5. -Spanky-

-Spanky- New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks. The HDT-S1283 is rated better on newegg than the 1284. I will say that I do like the retention bracket that's sold separately with the HDT Xigmatek's. The HDT-S1283 is actually cheaper than the sunbeam.

6. The Haunted

Thanks Received:
    You answered the question yourself...
    Just put fans on the cooler :confused:
    Dont waste your money, you have a good cooler.

7. -Spanky-

-Spanky- New Member

Thanks Received:
    I can't fit the fan bracket on my GeminII vertically or horizontally. I have the cooler vertical now, I'm not even sure if it would fit horizontally. Plus I would have to buy fans.

I could probably put the fan money into a heatsink and be happier with the decision. I think for the money, my case & hardware layout that the XIGMATEK HDT-S1283 is a possibility.

Any suggestions on those types of coolers (size, shape, performance)? Thanks.