1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Simple watercooling loop

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by Stavr0s91i, May 9, 2010.

1. Stavr0s91i

Stavr0s91i New Member

Thanks Received:
    Can some one explain to me how the water circulates around a simple loop with a rad,pump,reservoir and a cpu cooler?(With a diagram maybe)

The pump draws water from the reservoir sends it through the rad( lets say to cool off) then to cpu cooler and then?where does the water go?back to the reservoir? i was looking to buy a reservoir and place a pump inside but from what i can see there is only one hole

reservoir
    http://www.performance-pcs.com/cata...roduct_info&cPath=59_318_665&products_id=3542

Pump

http://www.performance-pcs.com/cata...e=product_info&cPath=59_201&products_id=25841

Could someone check the pictures and see if am right and theres only one hole?and if the pump accually fits in the reservoir?

Thanks

2. JrRacinFan

JrRacinFan Served 5k and counting ...

Thanks Received:
    You are correct. How you are describing is exactly how one would setup a loop for the pc.

The res you depecited there are 2 g1/4" threaded holes, one above the other. The bottom is the inlet and the top the outlet.

EDIT:

If you are new to watercooling, I highly suggest you cool CPU only until you get the knack of things.

3. Stavr0s91i

Stavr0s91i New Member

Thanks Received:
    yes thats what am doing

4. Wasmachinemann New Member

Thanks Received:
  5. Yinchie New Member

Thanks Received:
    Doesn't matter how the loop looks like, eventually the temps is equalized everywhere, a equilibrium.
    It is just a myth that the order of components will effect the temperatures.

6. mhadina

Thanks Received:
    But it's most important to put a res before a pump so it is always filled with coolant.
    In other way it can be overheated.
    A good example is when filling a loop with coolant for a first time - you need to switch off a pump when it pumps all water from res into a system and then fill more coolant and after that turn on a pump again and so on untill a loop is filled and all the air is pushed out....
    gl

7. Yinchie New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well isn't that kinda common sense? :D

8. JrRacinFan

JrRacinFan Served 5k and counting ...

Thanks Received:
    Of course it is common sense, but refer back to your own previous post. You are saying it doesn't matter the order of components.

9. Yinchie New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well, I meant the radiators, parts mainly...
    But having a reservoir infront of pump is kinda common sense for everyone when filling up the loop.
    Also a reservoir isn't needed perse, some people just use a fillport.

10. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    In your case, the reservoir you picked actually connects directly to the pump, replacing the top and fittings that are already on the pump. Just so you know.

Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD