1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Sleeping Dogs PC Gameplay

Discussion in 'Games' started by natr0n, Aug 9, 2012.

1. BumbleBee

BumbleBee

Thanks Received:
    it's a B open world title like Scarface or The Godfather. it was never trying to take on Grand Theft Auto.

2. Frag Maniac

Frag Maniac

Thanks Received:
    Disregard what I said above about physics. I was confusing it with Future Soldier, which has an "Improved Physics" option. Post has been edited.

3. Mindweaver

Mindweaver Moderato®™ Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Steam has a demo up for this game. I've played the demo, and I think I'm going to buy it soon! :toast:

Crunching for Team TPU
  4. natr0n

natr0n

Thanks Received:
    I beat the game earlier today. Lots of fun to be had.

5. Frag Maniac

Frag Maniac

Thanks Received:
    Just installed the latest patch, so tumbler lock picking w/ KB/M now works as it should. Thanks for that UF. I also think I found why I'd been struggling with some of the fights with Grapplers and Armed thugs. It seems you need to hold down the counter button instead of tapping it. Tapping it was making me button mash because a lot of times it wouldn't engage with one tap. When I hold it down, as long as I do it while the enemy is red, I get successful counters every time.

The game could use some more polish though. I find getting your weapon to aim while in a vehicle is often hit or miss depending on the angle, which can be frustrating. I expect it a little bit when you're driving, it happened in GTA IV too. While riding shotgun though it shouldn't happen, because Wei really extends himself out the window to shoot. Then again I haven't tried any vehicle shooting missions since patching, so maybe they worked on that a bit too.

BTW, what's a convenient place to grab a power boat to get to those sewer access drug bust locations? I'm getting tired of grabbing a slow boat or swimming to get there.

(EDITED)
    Was thoroughly enjoying gameplay with the new patch and my discovery of how to counter properly (DOH!), when yet another annoying problem happened. This time I searched for a similar problem and found one person described the exact same thing, also on PC, but he was using a 360 pad vs KB/M.

I took the Rabbit Jade Statue to Sifu, only to find after numerous times doing the Arm Break move I used it for, the game would not recognize my having successfully mastered the move. After mastering the move, Sifu is supposed to interrupt and have you take out the remaining students, but it never triggers.

Anyone else having this problem, and is there a known workaround for it? If I can't get this upgrade I won't be able to get Dim Mak, and that's the best upgrade in the game!

Last edited: Aug 28, 2012
  6. pantherx12

pantherx12 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I played it and first thing I done was beat the shit out of everyone in that square :laugh: So much fun!

Although I couldn't work out how to counter just whilst playing which is a shame.

Definitely a game I'd play with a x box pad in the future.

7. BumbleBee

BumbleBee

Thanks Received:
    the Y button is counter. if Wei is holding a melee weapon he will duck. if not he will punch the enemy in the face.

pantherx12 says thanks.
  8. pantherx12

pantherx12 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I was using keyboard and mouse.

9. Frag Maniac

Frag Maniac

Thanks Received:
    Can anyone confirm if they've had the above glitch where when trying to upgrade to the Arm Break move, after several times completing it Sifu doesn't acknowledge your success and have you fight the remaining students?

If I can't get this upgrade, I can't get Dim Mak, which is the best melee move in the game.

10. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    The key is to let go of the grapple key and don't do the clicks until after it shows them and is registering it (turns gray to white)

Crunching for Team TPU
  11. BumbleBee

BumbleBee

Thanks Received:
    no, sorry.

I beat the game without maxing the upgrade trees without any problems.

Dim Mak is like this thing where he ducks then punches the enemy multiple times in the chest and they fly back a couple feet. it sounds more powerful than it really is. still takes 2 or 3 of them to kill the heavy set enemies with the button/key prompts.

I think the standard counter is the most powerful move in the game now that I think about it lol

Last edited: Aug 28, 2012
  12. purecain

purecain

Thanks Received:
    i want this game.... looks like a lot of fun...

13. Guitarrassdeamor

Guitarrassdeamor

Thanks Received:
    Got past the "training" missions tonight and got into the city. It is absolutely beautiful maxxed out with the high res textures. I'm getting roughly 30-35 FPS and it seems pretty smooth. The driving is a little wonky and the controls are taking getting used to (I'm using a controller, games like this require it in my opinion), but it seems good so far. Only an hour in according to Steam, so we'll see how it progresses. Looks awesome though!

14. phanbuey

phanbuey

Thanks Received:
    This game was awesome... money well spent.

15. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, Sleeping Dogs was intended to be True Crime: Hong Kong until Square Enix took over and Luxoflux was closed.

I finished it and it's on par with the previous True Crime games. In some areas, it is better (like driving). In some ways, it is worse (lack of weapon choice). Like True Crime games, it has major deficiencies in controls and liberal use of autoaim.

Crunching for Team TPU
  16. KainXS

KainXS

Thanks Received:
    Yep I loved it from start to finish, there were some bugs though but money well spent.

but those sucker(get robbed) missions get annoying.

17. BumbleBee

BumbleBee

Thanks Received:
    I didn't mind the parkour. nobody traverses like Ezio tho :eek:

18. KainXS

KainXS

Thanks Received:
    went to help the lady with the car trouble got robbed and chased the dude across the highway and said hello to a truck

good times:)

19. BumbleBee

BumbleBee

Thanks Received:
    I tried running purse snatchers down with a car. I couldn't kill them. scripted I guess.

the purse snatcher has to get into the conveniently placed cars lol

20. Frag Maniac

Frag Maniac

Thanks Received:
    Yeah I played some more before checking back here and FordGT is right. The Arm Break move just has to be done VERY slow and deliberate, or the prompts won't highlight. It was literally grab, wait for the prompts to come onscreen, strike, wait for the 1st LMB icon to glow, strike, wait for the 2nd LMB icon to glow, hold strike, and it FINALLY registers as successful.

That one kinda felt like geezer school. I don't recall any other moves having to be done that slowly. Honestly, if they wanted to slow it down to make you remember the sequence, they should have just stopped motion until you click the prompted button, continue motion, etc, for ONE Arm Break, then make you do 2 or 3 more at normal fight speed to progress.

I have Dim Mak now too, but don't really use it. I was hoping it would be useful on Grapplers and Armed Thugs, but being as you have to grab them to get it started, it's hard to use on them. I've had better luck double jump kicking the Grapplers and tossing dropped blades at the Armed Thugs. At least the game offers many ways to fight, kinda like Max Payne 3 in that respect.

The purse snatcher I was referring to I just ran after on foot and beat up. One of Roland's missions where Roland comes with you to get a guy that owes money and takes off running I ran into with the car we drove there in, but of course the game wouldn't allow that to stop him due to it being scripted otherwise.

BTW, I enabled 16AF in NCP via a SD profile as rec by someone over at the SD forum. Rain reflections look a bit more realistic that way.

21. BumbleBee

BumbleBee

Thanks Received:
    I bet I could beat the game without any health shrines or upgrades.

22. KainXS

KainXS

Thanks Received:
    i think if you catch them and kick em in the back you can make them stop right there, but it never worked with a car for me either(actually i used a motorcycle)

bug?

23. BumbleBee

BumbleBee

Thanks Received:
    the cock fighting is awesome lol

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2013
  24. Frag Maniac

Frag Maniac

Thanks Received:
    In a game like this, there's not much prestige in bragging rights. You're far better off showing how high a score you can rack up in Batman or something, if you're really that good at fighting games. Just sayin'. :nutkick:

25. natr0n

natr0n

Thanks Received:
    [yt]0Jxf-fi4T5c[/yt]

The dim mak, for anyone who remembers this awesome movie.