1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Sleeping Dogs PC Gameplay

Discussion in 'Games' started by natr0n, Aug 9, 2012.

1. Frag Maniac

Frag Maniac

Thanks Received:
    I believe that last one was Dim Nad. LOL
  2. natr0n

natr0n

Thanks Received:
    :laugh::toast:
  3. BumbleBee

BumbleBee

Thanks Received:
    it shows how easy and linear the game really is under the surface. the yellow side missions are not worth doing. the girlfriends unlock health shrines, lock box and jade statues on your map which are all useless in the end because the game is too easy. you can race but it never yields big money.

most open world games have a meta layer to them like a mini-game with depth. for example Scarface has drugs, Godfather has extortion, Assassins Creed has recruitment and tower defense, Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas has Turf Wars, Grand Theft Auto: China Town Wars has drugs, Saint's Row: The Third has Turf Wars.

Sleeping Dogs doesn't have one.
  4. Frag Maniac

Frag Maniac

Thanks Received:
    Just saying mentioning it by itself as you did above is too vague to be known as a game critique vs bragging.

Now that you clarified though, I agree, it's a bit easy regarding fighting and even easier regarding gunplay. It was advertised as more of a GTA style cinematic experience than full on fight game though, so it's not surprising it has one fairly easy difficulty level like GTA, vs several diff levels plus an unlockable one like Batman: AC.

That said, it does have extortion, just not to the degree Godfather does. Tower defense in AC: Revelations was complained about a lot and didn't really mesh well with the rest of the combat. As a result they're omitting it in AC3. There are their own versions of turf wars present too, just not in a DIY open world way. As for SR, I can't take anything in that game seriously as ridiculous as it is.

I would call this more of a stylized, movie themed action game than a full on fleshed out sandbox fighter game, a bit like Stranglehold was, only more polished.
  5. BumbleBee

BumbleBee

Thanks Received:
    it has no meta game at all. the game would be better if you could extort businesses and do collections. empower the character, make it fun and rewarding for the player. you could upgrade weapons, buy new cars, clothes, homes with the money. this isn't new or unreasonable.

the game has been in development for 5 years and it shows. I thought we were past putting low resolution textures behind glass to make stores more realistic.
  6. Frag Maniac

Frag Maniac

Thanks Received:
    I'm right there with ya Bee, but keep in mind, a lot of games that have such things don't implement them very well. UF are fairly new as a team, and need time to gel well together. There were also obviously lots of bumps and grinds and a bit of a stall period when Acti lost interest. When SE took over, it took some time to retool the game.

You really need to look at the fact that when the game development started, they were under Acti's demented control. SE certainly gave them more creative control, but a lot of time and money had to be spent just polishing the game out better than what it originally was.

If SE keeps them under their wing to make a SD 2 or related game, it will likely be a lot better, more refined and fleshed out. I could see a sequel going one of two ways. Wei flees HK to the US when the Triad find out he's a cop, or turns Triad and helps them build their empire further.

I forgot to mention above that one of the easiest things about the game is getting money, including racing. I had around 2 mill when I started focusing on finishing the 2/3 of the races I'd not done last night. When I completed them and a handful of cars for Tran I had about 3 mill.
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2012
  7. phanbuey

phanbuey

Thanks Received:
    It's not? Which other game (besides GTA) allows you to do that?

Im not trying to be a dick, I just want to know the games Ive been missing lol.
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2012
  8. BumbleBee

BumbleBee

Thanks Received:
    I don't understand the question.
  9. phanbuey

phanbuey

Thanks Received:
    you said:

"it has no meta game at all. the game would be better if you could extort businesses and do collections. empower the character, make it fun and rewarding for the player. you could upgrade weapons, buy new cars, clothes, homes with the money. this isn't new or unreasonable."

So my question was what games allow you to "upgrade weapons, buy new cars, clothes, homes with the money", besides GTA where you can somewhat do that?
  10. BumbleBee

BumbleBee

Thanks Received:
    the ones I mentioned above.

Vice City Stories (PSP/PS2) is another I forgot. it was a new spin on San Andreas turf wars. you killed all the enemies on the property then turned the property into a business (prostitution, drugs, smuggling, loan sharking, etc).
    phanbuey says thanks.
  11. phanbuey

phanbuey

Thanks Received:
    Ah ok. Those are all GTA and I have played (the crap out of) those. I mean at the end of the day, this won't touch GTA with a 10 foot pole. But the fact that it comes close with a 20 foot pole even makes it a great game.

I beat this in 16 hours with some side missions and random kung fu attacks on street cops... I haven't played much since. GTA 4 = 150 Hours, GTA 4 Ballad of Gay Tony and Lost Souls = 200 hours, GTA San Andreas = 100+ hours - so i definitely see what you're saying.
  12. BumbleBee

BumbleBee

Thanks Received:
    it might sound like i'm beating it up a lot but I still think it's a good game.
  13. Frag Maniac

Frag Maniac

Thanks Received:
    But you have to do some beating up in this game, it's inevitable. :laugh:
  14. INSTG8R

INSTG8R

Thanks Received:
    Well I finally finished it the other night. I tried my best to stretch it out as long as I could. I was a little sorry it was over. I didn't complete everything but I was more going for the story.

I will definitely play thru it again knowing my way around the mechanics now and try to go for a more "Completionist Playthru" I did get pretty close to getting everything and I suppose I could roam around my finished game and pick up the stuff I missed(Mostly lock boxes and a couple of drug busts)
    Hoping some more missions are in the cards for the DLC, something to keep it fresh.
  15. INSTG8R

INSTG8R

Thanks Received:
    Sorry for the double post but this is pretty relevant. Patch 1.5 is released and finally deals with the nasty mouse issues. I might start a new play thru sooner than I thought.

16. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    Game plays too quickly. Reminds me of Deus Ex. Pump details to max level in game and even forced Aa and Af. Enable V Sync...

17. BumbleBee

BumbleBee

Thanks Received:
    15 hours is a good length. there is just nothing to come back to. the side content doesn't sink it's hooks deep enough.
  18. Mindweaver

Mindweaver Moderato®™ Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I play through the demo and I enjoyed it very much. I'll probably pick it up soon. :toast:
    Crunching for Team TPU
  19. INSTG8R

INSTG8R

Thanks Received:
    I put 30hrs into my first play thru. I left a few little things unfinished(Drug Deals, Lock Boxes, Some Random Events)I could use my "End Game" to finish them but I will start again. The new patch fixing the wonky cameras definitely makes me want to try it again.
  20. Frag Maniac

Frag Maniac

Thanks Received:
    Can anyone verify the following regarding update 1.5 on PC?

1. Does it say v1.3 vs v1.5 in the main menu? Mine said 1.4 when patched to 1.4, but now 1.3 when patched to 1.5
    2. Is anyone else having trouble with Soft Lock staying on when you turn it off?
    3. Does your Game Input say "Undefined", and not respond to attempted changes?
    4. Mouse Free Look stays on for me, is that the one that disables camera centering, because it still feels slightly springy?
    5. I have Raw Mouse Input on and it stays on. Does that mean mouse smoothing disabled (which is what I want)?
    6. Does your Mouse Sensitivity say "Undefined", and not responsive to attempted changes?

I also read that this patch is supposed to make the game less hitchy, and I suppose maybe it does, but things are certainly still a bit strange settings wise for me. I also had the game go into windowed mode with the cutscene with Jackie just before gaining free player control after the intro, which happened when first playing the game last run before patching to 1.4.
  21. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    I'm working on L.A. Noire now but plan on replaying Sleeping Dogs after that. I'll try to answer your questions then...
    Crunching for Team TPU
  22. rodrigox New Member

Thanks Received:
  23. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    It shows version 1.5 on the screen where it says "Sleeping Dogs - Push any key or button to continue." That's after the AMD advertisement, before the autosave notification and before the main menu. If you sit at the main menu long enough, it will eventually go through all the intro videos again and show the screen with the version number again.

Can't check because I don't know where I could get a gun and people to shoot at after the game is completed.

Nope, works fine.

I have Mouse Free Look on and it isn't springy at all. If I look in a direction and run another direction, the mouse keeps looking at that compass direction unless I move it.

I have Raw Mouse Input on and it works exactly as I expect it to. I would only change it if you experience problems (like lag with mouse movement).

No, it says 5:
    [​IMG]

I think 1.5 made huge improvements on the "hitchy" front. For example, you can now mouse look and drive in a car without the camera going psycho. It still has some consolitis in 1.5 but remarkably less.

Hit alt+enter to return the game to fullscreen mode.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  24. MatTheCat New Member

Thanks Received:
    Can someone describe exactly what this game is like to me?

Is it an RPG in terms of lots of dialogue but with shooter action?
  25. BumbleBee

BumbleBee

Thanks Received:
    it's a third-person action adventure. the game is like Arkham City in a lot of ways.