1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

SLI: Myth and Reality

Discussion in 'News' started by Nyte, Jan 28, 2006.

1. Nyte New Member

Thanks Received:
    SLI... ring a bell? If you haven't been up to date for the past year and a half, this article will do just the job. NVIDIA's SLI (Scaleable Link Interface) has been the talk of enthusiasts for awhile and several myths have risen due to its popularity.

The dogs over at Tech-Hounds talk about SLI technology benefits as well as faults. Their key observation is that performance should never be the deciding factor in purchasing a card and in many cases - 1 card is better than 2.

Source: Tech-Hounds
  2. giorgos th.

giorgos th. New Member

Thanks Received:
    i agree.1 6800GT is better than 2x6600GT in SLI mode..
  3. spectre440 New Member

Thanks Received:
    better than two 128mb 6600GT's, but not two 256mb 6600GT's. that's why NV stopped making the 256mb version. AFAIK, at least.
  4. killatia New Member

Thanks Received:
    this was an interesting read. perhaps they should take a look a ati's crossfire next.
  5. sinner33 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I agree with single cards being better. You can't really justify the gain you get with price and performance when you jump to SLI. Not only wasting more electricity, but the graphic card industries shoot out new cards so quick that SLI doesn't really seem long term. Just look at the old 6600GT SLI people use to have a few months back. A single 7800GT is enough to own it =P
  6. Steevo

Steevo

Thanks Received:
    About 6 months befor this machine was built a friend was owning everyone with two 7800GT's in SLI and a AMD FX-57. He is now less than 1000 points ahead in 3dmark05,and mainly as he has the better processor.

I agree, that most of the Nvidia fanboys will boast higher FPS..........with lower resolution and no AA or AF. Besides the ATI image quality is better.
    10 Million points folded for TPU
  7. spectre440 New Member

Thanks Received:
    NV fan or ATI fan has nothing to do with it.
    when it comes to brass tacks, everything is (or at least should be) measured by price versus performance. and the extra price premium of two cards and a higher-end board just isnt worth the performance it provides.

and besides, i'm an ATI fan, always was, but that didnt stop me from ordering a 6800GS AGP because for its price it just outclasses everything ATI has to offer.

when it comes to brass tacks, to the bottom line, everything is (or at least it should be) measured by price versus performance.
  8. Keiki New Member

Thanks Received:
    Very true that single cards are better, but if you go and buy a 7800 GT right now, and say a year from now you want to have something better. Would you want to scrap your old 7800 GT? Of course not, so basically you can buy another high-end video card 8800GTX or w.e, and run SLI with the 7800 GT. Since SLI is not limited to the same video card, you can basically SLI with many different combinations. So, in my opinion, in the long run, SLI does have its uses.
  9. bruins004 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I had an interesting thought while reading this article.
    Say if you had a dual core system w/ an SLI setup and are running 2 different games.
    Will one GPU be able to handle one game while the other handles the second?
    I doubt it, but you neva know