• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

SLI suffers from massive FPS drop with 5-10mins of play!?

Miracus

Hi guys,

I dunno if it's the games I play, the drivers or my hardware but basically my second graphics card has become a $500 paperweight, when I try to play recent games like Farcry 2 and Fallout 3 in SLI I'll be lucky to play 5mins at smooth framerates before some sorta memory leak or graphics overload causes my FPS to drop dramatically to the point of incredible frustration. I know cards are more than capable of playing these games at smooth framerates on high specs, afterall SLI'd OR one of my cards handled Crysis like a breeze.

Farcry 2 seems to run fine one a single card, however on SLI it craps it's dacks within 5-10mins. Fallout 3 on the other hand is just weird, aside from all the desktop crashes which are common with this game, oddly enough it runs better in Vista which surprised me considering XP is generally better for games all around, Farcry 2 is the opposite like I expected. Anyway Fallout 3 seems to run well on a single card in Vista, but not in XP *less than 5mins play and then POO FPS*, on the other hand it runs fine on SLI with no slow downs under Vista but crashes to desktop within 10mins of play, under XP it doesn't crash, the FPS just POO's out even worse than on a single card... *shakes head*

My drivers on both Vista and XP are the latest, Forceware v180.48.

Since deciding to go with SLI in my system I have to say I'm pretty disapointed in it, I've played more games using just one card (leaving the other to waste) than I have with two because of the amount of issues with games supporting it. Assassins Creed had minor issues, Crysis was a good example that took months after release to sort out the SLI issues, now Farcry 2 now Fallout 3 are in the same boat based on many forums, thankfully Stalker ran fine with it. SLI has been around for something like 2-3 years now but refinement and support just still doesn't seem to be there in games today.

Anyone got any ideas?

Cheers

More PCI cards installed will require more memory resources, resulting of less memory free.

On a SLI system, since PCI-Ex graphic cards will occupy around 256MB, another 256MB will be occupied after you install a 2nd PCI-Ex graphic card. Hence, 1.75GB memory left only if two SLI cards installed, while 2.0GB memory left with one graphic card without other add-on devices.

I installed a branch new Windows Vista Ultimate x64, and I have 4GB of memory, and SLI.

The system consumed 35% of system memory. Which mean ~1.3GB of memory, and I have nothing running.

You should have at least 4GB of memory if you're running SLI, and If you play DX10 games.

Another example, Crysis Warhead consumed up to 1.8GB of memory after I played it for 2 hours.

Miracus

I installed a branch new Windows Vista Ultimate x64, and I have 4GB of memory, and SLI.

The system consumed 35% of system memory. Which mean ~1.3GB of memory, and I have nothing running.

You should have at least 4GB of memory if you're running SLI, and If you play DX10 games.

Cheers mate, that's really helpful, I didn't realize 2GB of memory would be insufficient for SLI but it makes sense now. However I don't know if that solution will work for me, because I only have the 32bit versions of XP and Vista and anything over 3GB memory (Graphics + Ram combined) won't register correct?

If your copy is legit, you can get the x64 version of your Vista for free from Microsoft website.
And yes, x86 will only see ~3GB of memory, depend on the memory mapping.

Miracus

My Vista is legit, it's an OEM copy of Home Premium, I thought you had to pay for upgrading your OS, I'll check it out.

Jeeze mate your a wealth of knowledge, Thanks

Miracus

If your copy is legit, you can get the x64 version of your Vista for free from Microsoft website.

I've been looking around and I seem to be having very little luck finding a free upgrade to 64bit Vista, are you sure there is a free upgrade? you wouldn't happen to know of a link would you kid?

What I mean is, you can use the same key of your x86 for your x64, so maybe you will need to call them to get the x64 disc.
Sorry, I confused you.