1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Slow Boot and shutdown

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by tanusgreystar, Nov 17, 2008.

1. tanusgreystar New Member

Thanks Received:
    I just built a pc and it runs great, but it boots very slowly. I get the desktop and one or two icons on the system tray, but it just hangs. After 1 or 2 minutes the HDD kicks in and it finishes booting. It usually shuts down fine but the other night I shut it down and left, and the next day my gf said that she had to shut it down by the power button, and she said it made a loud buzzing sound, which I think was probably the HDD. What could be causing this??

2. tanusgreystar New Member

Thanks Received:
    Would the fact that I have my HDD and cdrom on the same channel?? There's only one IDE channel on my mb and I don't have any SATA devices. The cd is set to master/HDD to slave. Maybe I can twist the cable so I can hook each device up the way they are supposed to...

3. A Cheese Danish

A Cheese Danish

Thanks Received:
    They should be on separate channels and the hdd should be master at all times, unless you are going to boot from your cd/dvd drive every time.

4. mlee49

mlee49

Thanks Received:
    Moar specs would be helpful. Was it a Pent 4 with 256mb ram? If your e6850 w/2GB's of ram is having troubles then perhaps your HDD and how it's connected maybe the indication of what the problem is.

5. tanusgreystar New Member

Thanks Received:
    Intel Core 2 Duo E7200 2.53ghz (OC to 3ghz), 4gb DDR2 RAM, Foxconn M7PMX-S MB, Maxtor 200GB HDD, WIN XP HOME Sp3

6. tanusgreystar New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, but I only have one ide channel. I will try to set the HDD as master and see what happens.

7. KieranD

KieranD

Thanks Received:
    set any ram and cpu settings, if you leave any settigns on auto it has to determine them
    also defrag and stop any programs booting at startup

dunno what else to do more ram, faster hard drive

slow shut down shouldnt be a problem

8. caleb

Thanks Received:
    Hello, try:
    - connect your HDD as master or slave and remember to plug it into the proper plug on the IDE cable (middle/gray = slave,end/black = master)
    - disconnect the CDROM
    - try it out without CDROM if its ok then make sure CDROM and HDD have proper jumper settings and are connected the way I mentioned above.

If that doesnt help go to bios and disable the SATA controller under Onchip IDE devices in BIOS and try it if it helped (also verify you have DMA mode enabled).

If that doesnt help verify that the HDD is in fact fully operational in another computer.
    Also you say your hdd gives strange noises and If you can hear it stop and start sometimes that means it will die on you soon.

PS. It doesnt matter if its slave or master as long as BOTH devices have proper jumper settings and are properly connected !

9. tanusgreystar New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well, I unhooked the cd drive, so the only thing hooked to the ide channel is the HDD. I disabled the SATA channel. The BIOS was recognizing the HDD as slave so I put the jumper on the HDD so it is now master. But it still hangs. I don't get it. Once it's booted up it runs great, but it boots really slow. Is there something else I can do??

10. Live OR Die

Live OR Die

Thanks Received:
    has it got a floopy in it? do the loading bar run slow or just takes alot of them to load in ?

11. tanusgreystar New Member

Thanks Received:
    There is a floppy drive. It starts right up and I get the desktop pretty quickly, but after that it just hangs, and the only icon I get in the bar down below the screen is the speaker icon. It will hang for a couple minutes, then the HDD will kick in and finish the booting process. While it is hanging, I can click on things with the mouse but nothing responds.

12. Live OR Die

Live OR Die

Thanks Received:
    ill say it a windows problem then with a program or driver loading, try booting up in safe mode and see if it still does the same thing

13. DrunkenMafia

Thanks Received:
    Just go and buy a $25 dollar sata DVD r/w and then use the ide hdd. Or you can also buy ide/sata convertors that attach to the back of the hdd, they are about $10.

I reckon you have a problem with the way you are hooking the ide up. Have you tried both devices on cable select??? that may help also. :)

14. tanusgreystar New Member

Thanks Received:
    Right now I'm running the HDD on the ide channel by itself and I'm still having the problem.

15. DonInKansas

DonInKansas

Thanks Received:
    It's something in XP. Use msconfig and disable anything in the boot window that's unneccessary.

16. tanusgreystar New Member

Thanks Received:
    I did that but it still hangs. It hangs just before it launches the startup items. Could it have anything to do with the IDE channel itself??

17. Live OR Die

Live OR Die

Thanks Received:
    try using the 2nd IDE channel then it will still boot just change it in the bios if need

18. tanusgreystar New Member

Thanks Received:
    There's only one IDE channel on my mobo. The rest are SATA.

19. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    the master/slave plugs on the cable only matter if cable select is chosen on both devices.
    And you corrected yourself anyway.

sudden lag pauses at boot would be a software problem, which includes drivers.

20. tanusgreystar New Member

Thanks Received:
    So how do I narrow down which software/drivers is doing this??

21. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    if the problem doesnt exist in safe mode, its a 3rd party (non driver) problem.

You should go into MSconfig and remove any and all startup entries (untick all) and that will reveal if its an issue there.

out of other ideas atm, give that a shot and see what you find.

22. tanusgreystar New Member

Thanks Received:
    did msconfig. Still hangs. I'll try safe mode tomorrow. Need to go to bed. Thanks for your help!

23. Live OR Die

Live OR Die

Thanks Received:
    get a IDE to SATA adaptor there not much, i told u back in 2nd post to try in safemode

24. tanusgreystar New Member

Thanks Received:
    I went into safe mode. The drivers loaded a little slower than what I'm used to, but they loaded right up. This is the first time I went into safe mode with this mobo. Once I got the desktop, after a few seconds I was able to click on icons and actually have them respond. Throughout the process, the HDD light was solid. I didn't get the hang I was getting before.

25. Thrackan

Thrackan

Thanks Received: