1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Slow speeds when copying on external drive

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by lZKoce, Apr 17, 2013.

1. lZKoce

lZKoce

Thanks Received:
    Hi all,

since I installed TeraCopy I started to monitor my copy speeds and they are un-usually slow. Here is a real example. Laptop specs are in my profile, I have 3 USB 3.0 ports + 1 Super charge (the yellow one). Regular 8GB USB 2.0 flash drive. It copies at exactly 6MB/s from my laptop. I put it on another weaker specs laptop- 16MB/s, (same flash drive, same file). I hoked to a 10 years old DELL laptop- same result- 16mb/s. Tried with external HDD, same slow copy speeds from my USB ports. Seriously?

One solution I saw was to go to Device manager->Drives->Policies and switch to "Better performance", but use the icon to unplug the drive. Haven't tested with my drive, but another showed no difference at all.

I have no un-recognized devices on the list:
    [​IMG]

2. Depth

Thanks Received:
    Maybe the write speed of the flash drive is 16mb/s?

3. lZKoce

lZKoce

Thanks Received:
    That's fine, but on my laptop the same drive records and at exactly 6mb/s. Anyway, we will see. Probably a fresh install down the road and I will test again.

4. mariamenounous New Member

Thanks Received:
    Slow Speed

Hiii..... Since you are facing from slow speed problems.. You need to take care of your computer very well otherwise it may stuck some day later.. So, first perform disk cleanup so that all your cookies are clear, update your PC with some antivirus. You can follow the steps and I belive it will be helpful for you.

USB storage devices can be optimized for either quick removal or performance. If optimized for quick removal, data transfer can potentially be reduced to a crawl.

To optimize your USB drive for performance:
    1.Right click on the USB drive and select properties
    2.Select the Hardware tab
    3.Under All Disk Drives, highlight your USB drive and select Properties
    4.Select the Policies tab and select Optimize for performance.
    5.Press OK twice, and your transfer speeds should increase dramatically
    Note that when your drive is optimized for performance you'll need to use the Safely Remove Hardware icon in the taskbar to eject the drive - otherwise you'll risk corrupting your data by just removing the drive from the port.

5. FreedomEclipse

FreedomEclipse ~Technological Technocrat~

Thanks Received:
    I have a Kingston DataTraveler 101 Gen 2 8GB with a Win 7 install on it. For a USB 2.0 its quite fast, the transfer rates exceeds its advertised speeds and it can be bought fairly cheap if you dont require USB 3.0 speeds.

Win7 installed in under 30mins

6. sneekypeet

sneekypeet Unpaid Babysitter Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Report things and move on, stop ruining threads talking about the spammers.

7. FreedomEclipse

FreedomEclipse ~Technological Technocrat~

Thanks Received:
    I think you were too thorough with the thread cleanin, one of my posts had info which would have possibly been useful (ATTO)