1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Slow SSD

Discussion in 'Storage' started by silkstone, Dec 15, 2012.

1. silkstone

silkstone

Thanks Received:
    Hi guys, I just upgraded my SSD from a 120gb Corsair Force 3 to a 256gb OCZ Vertex 4. I used paragon HD manager to clone the disks.

I just benchmarked the new SSD, expecting slightly higher speeds and this is what i got:

Corsair
    [​IMG]

OCZ
    [​IMG]

Any ideas why the Vertex is so much slower than my old Force 3 and how i can fix it?

Thanks guys
  2. McSteel

McSteel

Thanks Received:
    ATTO uses compressible data, which is SandForce's main strength, that's why you're seeing such high speeds on the Corsair SSD. The Vertex is based on the OCZ (Marvell, actually) Everest 2 controller which does not do on-the-fly compression. Try some other benchmark suites, such as AS-SSD, CrystalDiskMark etc. to see a clearer picture.

As a side note, if you need a benchmark to tell you if one drive is faster than the other, then it seems you didn't really need to upgrade in the first place ;)
  3. silkstone

silkstone

Thanks Received:
    Crystal disk is giving the same speeds.

I know, it doesn't make much rl difference. I only upgraded for more space and so i could put my corsair drive in my laptop.

I read the TPU review of the vertex 4 and from the results, i imagined it would be faster that the Corsair. Are there any benchmark programs that give more of a real world result?
  4. McSteel

McSteel

Thanks Received:
    The already mentioned AS-SSD, and Iometer, are solid choices. But again, I wouldn't care much for synthetic data - it's your user experience that is key. No matter how many programs say your drive is slow, if it's fast enough for you, then it's fast enough.
    silkstone says thanks.