1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Small Freezes at Random Times

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by PVTCaboose1337, Sep 7, 2010.

1. PVTCaboose1337

PVTCaboose1337 Graphical Hacker

Thanks Received:
    I have been having a small problem lately with small freezes in my computer. It is a tad tough to explain.

The whole summer with my laptop had no freezes at all. Everything was fine. When I got back to school I realized that at random intervals I would have freezes. There are two types I have noticed.

Freeze Type 1: The computer will go fine for an hour or two, then freeze up for 1-2 seconds, and then continue on. If I am in a game and it happens, the game does not crash, the sound just loops, the mouse freezes, and then everything is back to normal, game is still working, whatever. This also occurs while just browsing the web, anything. The mouse will freeze, sound will loop, and then everything goes normally.

Freeze Type 2: Same as the above, but 2 or 3 freezes happen within about 10-15 seconds of each other.

Does anyone have an idea of what it is? My primary idea was that at school I am required to use the Cisco NAC agent to connect to the internet. I am thinking this program might be messing with a driver or whatnot, but I have updated some of them and it seems not to be the issue. Any ideas?

EDIT: Here is the hard drive SMART thing, everything look ok?

[​IMG]

2. de.das.dude

de.das.dude Pro Indian Modder

Thanks Received:
    i think the load cycle is a bit off the hook..

have you tried checking with a different stick of ram?

3. PVTCaboose1337

Thanks Received:
    I have not tried any other ram. It was a thought of mine that the memory was bad, but I quickly threw that off the plate. I might do a Memtest when I get a chance, but I am thinking software at this point.

4. Solaris17

Solaris17 Creator Solaris Utility DVD

Thanks Received:
    my system does this. its odd. I even formatted. when I first boot my rig. for a good 5 seconds everything locks up. then it procedes as normal. without a hitch for days on end. it will ALWAYS happen on firsty boot getting into the desktop though. fresh install or even with an old install with start up programs. its no longer or shorter. always teh same 5 seconds. sorry hijacking.

5. PVTCaboose1337

Thanks Received:
    I have a feeling it has to do with conflicting software drivers, but I have never been able to find it. Your issue seems to be hardware, maybe mine is too. We might just have the same problem!

6. de.das.dude

Thanks Received:
    yup, this can be hardware or software or both.

and all memtests do not guarantee perfect diagnosis.

7. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:

its your hard drives going into an idle state, its in the power controls in windows control panel.

the lag spikes are while the system waits for the HDD's to power back up - the time difference is just varying because of how many drives are idling

8. hellrazor

hellrazor

Thanks Received:
    Don't put too much thought into this, but it could be a power issue (on a laptop?). I get the same crap on my desktop. Try idling it for a bit then jump (really fast) into a game that uses as much of your processor and video card as possible. If it doesn't loop sound and whatnot for a really long time, then it probably isn't it.

9. de.das.dude

Thanks Received:
    ^ true, it can be a power issue too. also this doesnt necessarily mean its the PSU, some of the power capacitors in your mobo may have gone broke.

this happened in my previous ECS RS482M-M mobo. the 12V was reading only 4.8V. and the games would stutter. like NFS carbon, etc.

use Everest Ultimate to check your sensors.

10. PVTCaboose1337

Thanks Received:
    Yeah that will actually cause the screen to freeze for a second. How would I fix it?

11. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    What about bad blocks?

12. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    [​IMG]

possible, but unlikely. you'd have programs that wouldn't run or windows would give write errors at the same time as the pauses.