1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Small Question about ATi's Crossfire Edition Cards (x1800/X1900)

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by Cybie1111, Jan 24, 2006.

1. Cybie1111 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I was wondering if that you buy a x1800/x1900 Crossfire edition card and you only have 1 PCI-e slot, would the card act as a x1800/x1900 XT?

2. Quake2owns

Quake2owns New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yes you can run a single x1800/x1900 by itself but the only disadvantage is only one dvi port .

3. hotrippr

hotrippr New Member

Thanks Received:
    Funny, then why does it say dual dvi on the specs/box. Maybe all you have to do to use another dvi is plug the dongle in?

4. Quake2owns

Quake2owns New Member

Thanks Received:
    no because the x1800/x1900 are meant to run with another video card and it uses the dvi on the other card for dual or quad moniters from my understanding plug the dongle is a female and connects to a male dvi connector on the crossfire ready card. you use one dvi on the crossfire master card and one on the cf ready card as this picture shows. http://www.tbreak.com/reviews/article.php?id=429

5. hotrippr

hotrippr New Member

Thanks Received:
    Remember the xfire master card comes with a 3 prong dongle= one goes to the special connector on the xfire master(you can see it in that image u posted it is much bigger), one female to the dvi on the xfire ready card, and the other female to the monitor. I am thinking you can use the dongle to utilize it as a dvi. I maybe wrong, I will know forsure in a couple of days:rockout: If it does not work out, no need to worry, if you dont have multi monitors or a big monitor that uses huge res.

I chose to get the xfire(1900) first, because they seemed the hardest to get, also heard that they will be very scarce in the 1800 series which looks like is going to be discontinued.

6. hotrippr

hotrippr New Member

Thanks Received:
    :eek: :slap: Yeah it does look like xfire ed has only 1 output, the bigger connection is an input, but still dont know why ads are saying dual dvi? Doesnt say dual dvi only with two cards. It shouldnt say it if the card cant do it. Also says tv out. Wont know till the egg posts some pics of whats included. Cancelled order till I can see what is included in box.

7. thaddyusmaximus New Member

Thanks Received:
    Will a X1900 Crossfire Edition Card work with X1800 Series Card?

I was wondering if any knows the answer to this question? Will a X1900 Crossfire Edition Card work with X1800 Series Card?