• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Smart thermostat

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
Motherboard EVGA z690 Dark KINGPIN (modded BIOS)
Cooling EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB
Memory 64GB Gskill Trident Z5 DDR5 6000 @6400
Video Card(s) MSI SUPRIM Liquid X 4090
Storage 1x 500GB 980 Pro | 1x 1TB 980 Pro | 1x 8TB Corsair MP400
Display(s) Odyssey OLED G9 G95SC
Case Lian Li o11 Evo Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) Moondrop S8's on Schiit Hel 2e
Power Supply Bequiet! Power Pro 12 1500w
Mouse Lamzu Atlantis mini (White)
Keyboard Monsgeek M3 Lavender, Akko Crystal Blues
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores I dont have time for that.
Does anyone have any experience with the nest or the lyric? I would like to switch too one of them in my start to have a smart home. I would really like input on both.

I really like the geocaching aspect of the lyric.

I really like the usability of the next interface without the need for software.

I have a few big questions though.

1. Does either the nest or lyric auto heat and auto cool to reach temp? I have central air with heat. currently to adjust temp I need to manually start heat or cool mode (or em heat). I was hoping smart thermostats do not do this.

2. Im unsure if the newer nests support geocaching (I go on vacation and work long hours) but do either of them (assuming the nest does) support multiple "people" with a few of us in and out of the house alot their are times we are all out of the house for like 12 hours. but ties when someone will always be home. geo caching sounds good and I really like the idea to alleviate strain on my system during these times but I also don't want it to shut down until 85 with people still home just because i went to work. This is also an issue I see with nests "away" mode. (which is why geocaching with multiple users became important to me.)

2A. If they dont can I shut off away mode on these? Maybe specify a time to time temp. when i know most people will be out of the house im sure 1 or 2 people can stand a 4º shift when they are the only ones home.

Thanks much.

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
Motherboard EVGA z690 Dark KINGPIN (modded BIOS)
Cooling EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB
Memory 64GB Gskill Trident Z5 DDR5 6000 @6400
Video Card(s) MSI SUPRIM Liquid X 4090
Storage 1x 500GB 980 Pro | 1x 1TB 980 Pro | 1x 8TB Corsair MP400
Display(s) Odyssey OLED G9 G95SC
Case Lian Li o11 Evo Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) Moondrop S8's on Schiit Hel 2e
Power Supply Bequiet! Power Pro 12 1500w
Mouse Lamzu Atlantis mini (White)
Keyboard Monsgeek M3 Lavender, Akko Crystal Blues
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores I dont have time for that.
anyone have any ideas?

cadaveca

My name is Dave
NEST.

Not sure about the app compatibility, but I suggest NEST since it works with many other devices as well, like JawBoneUP (will recognize you going to sleep or getting up and adjust temps accordingly), and will adjust based on certain garage door opener functioning, and with Mercedes vehicles, if you get close to home. NEST does have an away mode as well, but not sure how it functions yet.

And since you can adjust temps with an app, you simply set the temp, and your appliances should run to maintain that temp, whether heating or cooling is required. Setting temps lower or higher than required won't have any effect... if this is a problem, it indicates that your thermostat is in the wrong location, and something else in the same room as the thermostat is causing the thermostat to read incorrectly.

See ehre for more NEST stuff:

https://ifttt.com/p/nest/shared

https://nest.com/ca/works-with-nest/

Last edited: