1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

So, are you going to Go Vista?

Discussion in 'General Software' started by starkruzr, Apr 18, 2007.

1. starkruzr New Member

Thanks Received:
    I've decided XP is the last MS OS I'll ever purchase unless I can get a company store discount. Between Vista's piss-poor gaming performance, poorly engineered security model and more or less complete lack of innovation, I just don't see a reason to get it.

Ubuntu for me, once XP is no longer supported. What do you guys say?
  2. DaMulta

DaMulta My stars went supernova

Thanks Received:
    Vista's piss-poor gaming performance,

You need to read the new reports on that one....A lot of games run better in Vista with the new drivers.

poorly engineered security model

I think you are wrong about that one....they might have taken it one step to far

less complete lack of innovation

Have you played with all the new tools thats in Vista yet?
  3. SupperAssBASS

SupperAssBASS New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well not until I have to.
    Than I'll "purchase" Vista... :)
  4. starkruzr New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm glad to hear that. This, of course, is assuming the game runs in Vista in the first place :p

You are coming to a sad realization... cancel or allow? ;)

Such as?

And most importantly, is all of this taken together worth > $400?
  5. farlex85

farlex85 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Okay well I'll just say that I am not very proficient in software and really all I have ever known is windows. I've used linux a little, but vastly prefer windows. That being said I know many prefer more software friendly less flashy interfaces. I like vista a lot. It definately took a step foward, perhaps too big of a step to be effective immidiately. At the moment, too many kinks to make it more effective than xp, but certainly will be sweet when running on all cylinders. Price is my only complaint, way too high. I suspect there will be deals though. I'm a student and found a version of home premium for 60 bucks. Still gonna hold out till everything becomes viable though.
  6. Conti027

Conti027

Thanks Received:
    i went Vista and i love it
  7. D007

D007

Thanks Received:
    well, my own personal opinion is make sure whatever software you intend to use vista for is actually compatible.. it has alot of problems with pinnacle, i can tell you that much and some games it just doesn't like at all. I like the way xp handles my games better than vista at the moment.. the new drivers have helped alot though.. it's a very noteable change but still it has alot of kinks and to me.. a software this "high end" shouldn't have so many kinks or it should cost less.. anyway My vista is still waiting to be put into my new system but is on another.. the one used for wedding video editing.. and it's still has huge issues with pinnacle.. when we bought it from HP we even told them it would be specifically needed for pinnacle and they said it was compatible.lol.. if they had tried to run it even once they would of known better but they just wanted to take the cash and throw out a piece of crap.. they put in dual 512 ram when they were told we needed "high performance" for example.. I'll never buy from a pc maker again.. which is why I came to this forum and leanred how to build my own computers.. no more a slave to tech support or to a bunch of children working for 8 bucks an hour at some cruddy tech support line for me.

I worked for gateway tech support before.. and i even told them before i started i had no experience.. you know what they recommend me to do? tell people to reformat..lol.. yep, thats their easiest way to get you off the phone for a while.. most of them are completely incompetent ( Like i was) lol..
  8. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
    I just converted back to XP Pro from Vista Ultimate. Sure Vista has a lot of eye candy, ran quite well for the most part...but it has a lot of annoyances, bugs, glitches to aggrivate anyone to boiling point. My last straw was a blue screen issue linked with 7.3 drivers...I got sick of it, and decided to go back to XP. I gained my full performance back, don't have compatability issues, and if I want it to look prettier I can load Windowblinds or something.

My recommendation is to load Vista on a seperate boot drive/partition and run dual boot config. Also I couldn't OC my vid card as well in Vista due to crap driver support and general stability. Aero looks good, I dig the side bar, and at higher resolutions text is easier to read. If you want Vista, wait till prices drop and SP1 comes out in late Fall.
  9. Casheti

Casheti New Member

Thanks Received:
    I went Vista. Sucks for games, but for everything else it owns.
  10. xylomn

xylomn New Member

Thanks Received:
    I use vista on my gaming rig.. I've noticed no difference in the performance I am getting from the system... In general vista is well done and if configured properly works well

with a software this complex you can't expect there to be no bugs... the amount of different hardware combinations that are possible can never be factored into testing, its simply impossible... granted there are parts of vista that resemble osx but what do you expect... some of the feature in osx are good and simply because they use them does that mean windows can't? of course not... windows vista has a lot of improvements 'under the hood' that the majority of users won't notice and some that aren't even utalised yet...

remeber vista is an almost complete rewrite of the os and its a bloody big bit of coding and those of you reading this who have been involved in large scale coding projects will understand how difficult it is to make something 'perfect'.

I still use linux on my work rig though... I just like it for work lol
  11. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
    Yeah..Vista was cool and I understand that it's complicated coding and all, but I don't feel Vista is quite worth the next step yet...like I said when the first real layer of polish will hopefully shine with SP1. And Vista ran great on my pc, fast, responsive, pretty stable..but not like a properly tuned XP. And right now I'm a synthetic bench junkie it seems, so the extra performance is also seen in comparison..but the difference is smaller than some may assume, and depending on test margins vary, but in no test did I have higher scores with Vista.

But I'm sure in a years time or so that Vista will be more polished and refined and passing XP.
  12. starkruzr New Member

Thanks Received:
    Vista almost a complete rewrite?

I'm curious where you got that information from. All the APIs are the same. There is some chance that the UI uses completely different hooks, iirc -- I think GDI has been abandoned in favor of something else. But I don't think most of the kernel code has changed at all. I could easily be wrong, though.

Actually, if someone has a link to a good article about what exactly has changed, I'd be really appreciative.
  13. Chewy

Chewy New Member

Thanks Received:
    Im jumping in the vista bandwagon duel boot though, that means I can delete windows xp without having to reinstall vista at a later date?

New HD coming this week for raid:)
  14. Jimmy 2004

Jimmy 2004 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yes, you can delete XP later - as long as you remove it from the boot menu.

I'm personally sticking to XP, I do have Vista on a second partition but the lack of software and drive support (including free firewalls) means that XP is much better for me. Plus gaming is generally better on XP.
  15. Chewy

Chewy New Member

Thanks Received:
    I just got a taste of vista with my dads laptop and I like some of its features (duh). been reading it has made some improvements over what crap it was for support like 3 months ago..

programs I use are:
    DVD Decrypter
    DVD Shrink
    Cucusoft Ipod video conversion software
    Company of Heros (The Greatest)

Thats about all I use atm

when I get a new graphics card I will start playing Oblivion & Fear if I get its resolution set right...
  16. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    No free firewalls Jimmy, but when your anti-virus runs out, Kaspersky Internet Security's firewall works on all versions of Vista, even x64.
  17. Artic Foxin Dell

Artic Foxin Dell New Member

Thanks Received:
    I am going to get it on my new laptop when i buy it..... after School gets out. as in if i do 100 Hours of Community Service my school will take $1000 of the Tuition, and my Dad will pitch part of the $1k to help me get a Laptop.
  18. zekrahminator

zekrahminator McLovin

Thanks Received:
    I'm using Vista on my dad's laptop. I can't wait to have enough money to upgrade my other two computers to it. Vista is much easier and better than Windows XP, especially if you have an ATI card.

And needless to say, I disabled UAC first chance I got.