1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

So I think my hard drive may be toast. :D LOL

Discussion in 'Storage' started by satindemon4u, Jan 8, 2014.

1. satindemon4u

Thanks Received:
    Fixing a laptop for someone and noticed that it would run super slow along with a multitude of other problems. Finally decided to run a disk test by Hitachi since it is a Hitachi drive. Here are the results. :D

The first message I got was this one. I figured that since during the test I had unplugged the charger and plugged it back in that it may have been a factor...

[​IMG]

Since that was the case I decided to re-run the test and got this instead...
    [​IMG]

I tried to fix the sector but it failed and told me the device needed to be replaced. So I am now running the test a third time and this time chose to wipe the drive and after will re-test and see what happens.

Just thought I would share this with you guys. Anyone else ever get there hands on some nasty drives?
  2. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    I believe the excessive shock error is from the drive being dropped, not a power related issue.

And, yeah, I just had a 750GB desktop drive die on me over the weekend. It had been running in an external enclosure basically 24/7 for ~4 years. I left running on the workbench when I left he office Friday, and came in to it clicking away Tuesday.
    Crunching for Team TPU 50 Million points folded for TPU
  3. kn00tcn

kn00tcn

Thanks Received:
    :eek: :twitch: external drive left on alone without you for 3 days!? why would you do that
  4. satindemon4u

Thanks Received:
    Ouch. Any data loss? The good news in this case was that nothing on the hard drive was valuable to the owner.
  5. newtekie1

Thanks Received:
    It is left on 24/7 sitting on the workbench in the office for whenever I need it. It has been like this for at least 3 years.

Edit: Check the date on the drive, make that 5 years.

Nothing important was lost. The drive was really only used to transfer files between computers and backup customer data when I do re-formats. Usually the data isn't on the drive for more than 24 hours.
  6. satindemon4u

Thanks Received:

Good thing! :D
  7. kn00tcn

kn00tcn

Thanks Received:
    still seems strange to leave it on (are computers also on?) when you're specifically out of the building for days, if nobody else is using them or if there are no backup tasks running

that said i think i have a mostly 24/7 desktop drive that's past 8 years according to the smart values, WD1600JB-22GVA0, no problems, nothing unusual, that comp also has a ST3320620AS nearing 7 years, usually there's some sort of file access at at random hours of the day or night, but it's turned off if nobody's home for at least a night

what exact model was yours?
  8. newtekie1

Thanks Received:
    80% of the time it isn't even connected to a computer. It is kept on a shelf behind the 4 station workbench, it is kind of hard to reach, so I just leave it turned on with a long USB cable to plug into customer computers.