1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

So Intel or SandForce?

Discussion in 'Storage' started by Octopuss, Feb 4, 2011.

1. Octopuss

Octopuss

Thanks Received:
    New generation of Intel SSDs is right behind the door, and the new SF stuff won't wait too long either, I think. Which one would you prefer and why? (also does anyone have any more specific dates than "soon"?)

2. MxPhenom 216

MxPhenom 216 Corsair Fanboy

Thanks Received:
    Sandforce is the controller inside the SSD. the New intel drives will have the new controller's in it IIRC. All current SSD's right now basically have sandforce controllers.

3. CJCerny

CJCerny

Thanks Received:
    Say what? That's not even close to right. Only a small percentage of the SSD's currently available have Sandforce controllers.

4. kenkickr

kenkickr

Thanks Received:
    Here is a nice article from Tweaktown.com about the up and coming SSD controllers for 2011.

Octopuss, Frogger and jsfitz54 say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  5. erixx

erixx

Thanks Received:
    Or was it Sand Bridge.... too much sand, too many bridges, ... one bridge too far.... ;)

6. kenkickr

kenkickr

Thanks Received:
    I think your thinking about Intel's Sandy Bridge(processor).

Crunching for Team TPU
  7. wickerman

wickerman

Thanks Received:
    well he's right that most of the modern high performance drives do use Sandforce controllers, but yea there are plenty out there based on tech from Intel, Indilinx, JMicron, Marvel, Samsung, and Toshiba.

Intel is expected to have their new tech out a few months before Sandforce, which gives Intel variants time to mature in firmware and prices to settle with demand, so in my eyes the new Sandforce would have to stand out in performance or reliability to a significant degree...or come in at a cheaper price point.. before I'd consider them personally over Intel's new stuff.

That being said, my main pc is powered by 2x kingston 128gb SSDs based on value JMF618 controllers, and I've got a half dozen or so scattered in various devices using Intel's 40gb and 80gb gen2, Corsair drives based on SF1200, and my server uses a kingston 30gb based on toshiba tech, and really they are all quite good at what they do. For day to day stuff I can't really see much difference between one controller vs another, so unless you have specific performance targets I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for the new performance king to emerge.

MxPhenom 216 says thanks.
  8. erixx

erixx

Thanks Received:
    0'course. but you won't deny that its NOMENKLATURA PSYCHOFEST these days :laugh:

9. Octopuss

Octopuss

Thanks Received:
    I read the article linked in here and must say I am confused even more. Looks like it's not just SF and Intel! Guess it's best to wait a few more months and wait for reviews.

10. Bo$$

Bo$$ Lab Extraordinaire

Thanks Received:
    TBH i just think the lowest price wins as performance is negiable in daily usage

11. MxPhenom 216

MxPhenom 216 Corsair Fanboy

Thanks Received:
    Im pretty sure that every OCZ and Corsair SSD is sand force controlled and OCZ and Corsair drives are some of the best out there, side from Intel but even then.

12. Kantastic

Kantastic

Thanks Received:
    Not entirely, most of the new/latest SSD's that boast over 250MB read/write speeds are SF-driven. Manufacturers release new drives whenever a new controller comes out to stay competitive. Companies like Crucial and Intel develop their own controllers. Crucial's Real series and OCZ's Vertex 2 series are among the most popular choices for SSD's today. Corsair SSD's often have issues, like their 120GB Force drive.

13. Octopuss

Octopuss

Thanks Received:
  14. Wrigleyvillain

Wrigleyvillain PTFO or GTFO

Thanks Received:
    New generation on the horizon; may be prudent to wait. Though I wasn't aware of any issues with 25nm process until now...

15. Octopuss

Octopuss

Thanks Received:
    Which new generation do you mean? Like, something after 25nm?

16. happita

happita

Thanks Received:
    No, he means like...next SSD controller. When they revise it, much like a CPU or GPU or what have you, that is the next generation of their product. In this case we will see some extra features and faster read/write speeds as far as I know so far. But me, I'm real itchy to see some price points on some of these new gen Sandforce drives.

17. Octopuss

Octopuss

Thanks Received:
    Right.
    I would buy new controller-based drive, in fact I've been waiting for this generation to arrive for months, but if it will be based on the new 25nm chips, I'm out. Those links I posted sound awfully bad.