1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

So Long Privacy: Apple Bans Apps, Music for Customers Who Opt Out of Tracking

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by wahdangun, Jun 23, 2010.

1. AltecV1

AltecV1 New Member

Thanks Received:
    the solution is VERY simple.....dont buy apples crap :p

claylomax and remixedcat say thanks.
  2. twilyth Guest

I never actually hated Apple but I'm getting there.

I did get tired of some of the smarmy comments from people who used Apple computers when they found out that I occasionally do work on PC's. Like one lady who called me about a problem she had with her work computer. Every other sentence was, 'apple doesn't do it that way', ' never had the problem with Apple', etc. :slap: :slap: :slap:

Yeah lady, I got your "Apple" right here.

I'm sure most are regular people, but some are really . . . argggghhh!

I really don't see how anyone can submit to what amounts to bullying. OK, you don't have to buy an iPad, but if for whatever reason you want to, why should you essentially be forced to bend over. Even if you don't mind the intrusion, the real issue is that you're not given a real choice. A choice with consequences isn't much of a choice IMO.

So for me, just on principle, I would tell Jobs to get bent. IDK, maybe people haven't caught on to the scam yet. Maybe when they do they'll get pissed. Won't be holding my breath though.

3. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I agree.

When it comes to most "popular" Apple products (excluding professional computers at work etc.) I think of sheeple. It's an awful subculture of people who need to stand in line so they will be the first out of their friends to get whatever Apple is selling. These masses of sheeple will buy it no matter what. They don't mind being tracked and viewed at as a giant herd that consumes these goods and crap out money. The sheeple mentality goes well beyond buying Apple products in this country judging by our elected officials. People don't want to think or work, they want to be told what to do, they want laws to protect them and they have inflated senses of self entitlement. Fucking sad.

1Kurgan1, Steevo, remixedcat and 4 others say thanks.
  4. TIGR

Thanks Received:
    Wish it weren't so, but ... yep. :(

5. wahdangun

wahdangun New Member

Thanks Received:

did, you read the aggremen in that article that i posted,

it said apple product and that include your ipod and any other apple product,
    so do you like when someday, you are walking near domino pizza and suddenly your iPhone or ipod, showing ads about how delicious is domino pizza.

it will be so fucking annoying, when you got constant ads when you are walking near something like McDonald, KFC, Bestbuy,or anything else.

and Btw, typical apple user are not tech-savy, they maybe never hear the term jailbroken iphone, also they maybe never use other store than itunes. so they don't have anychoice at all.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2010
    remixedcat says thanks.
  6. DannibusX

DannibusX

Thanks Received:
    Apple gives their users Hobson's choice. That's funny. I do own an iPod, but now I'll have to speed up my pursuit of a new MP3 player.

7. zithe

zithe

Thanks Received:
    I can't stand having anything on me other than my wallet and keys. Having stuff in my pockets makes me look lumpy. I'm a bit different in the head so my opinion tends to be a little different about small stuff like this.

I don't see it saying anywhere that it'd interrupt what you were doing to advertise. I may be wrong though. When I'm in the car I prefer CDs so I don't have to mess with the ipod. My friend drives with an ipod touch for his music and we've had some pretty close calls.

Don't forget that articles bashing stuff like this tend to overblow the whole situation. If you read the comments on that article the author is known for bashing the company. For all we know he could just be running with this. Also, I don't think anyone here has heard this story before and this guy is making a huge deal out of it.

You probably shouldn't be looking at a website while crossing the street. The ad thing probably applies to the ads on websites, imo.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2010
  8. KainXS

KainXS

Thanks Received:
    wait so this includes the ipod touch, . . . . . . well scratch that, i was gonna get one later today, glad I read this.

9. wahdangun

wahdangun New Member

Thanks Received:
    okey, i have found an option to option-out, but its still have forced ads, the different is they are just less relevant.

source : iLounge

so what do you think, are you still want apple product ?

10. Bundy

Bundy

Thanks Received:
    I am trying out an app ona Win mobile that does just that. If the phone is missing, send it and SMS and it will reply with its GPS location. If the original SIM card is removed, it will send email updates instead.remote tracker

11. wiak

wiak

Thanks Received:
    simple, dont buy apple overpriced computers, do'h, you can buy a Computer with a i7 980 Extreme, Dual Radeon HD 5870, 12GB memory, Dual 128GB Crucial RealSSD C300, bunch of harddrives for the price of the most expensive mac that only gives you half the performance for teh same price...

12. DrPepper

DrPepper The Doctor is in the house

Thanks Received:
    I still don't see this as a big deal. It's anonymous and its used to improve applications. It only applies to apple products and you can opt out. Everyone is making it out that apple will use it to locate people and spy on them for no reason.

13. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    I agree. Google collects this type of data, and people don't get outraged. So you are correct, but you are still missing the point of the matter.

It's the way they present the choice, not the info gathering itself. It's agree, OR ELSE.

Shitty way to treat customers.

Sony just did the same thing to us fatty PS3 owners and OtherOS. Yeah, we can choose to not upgrade, but then we lose PSN and online play, and lose the ability to play the newest games.

wahdangun says thanks.
  14. DrPepper

Thanks Received:
    Yeah it's shitty but what do we do to companies who are shitty to us ?

15. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    CFW their stuff, and flip them the bird.

16. mdsx1950

mdsx1950 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yeah i did.. But it said only iPhones, iPads and computers. So as long as you dont use WiFi in a public place, its ok right?

17. wahdangun

wahdangun New Member

Thanks Received:
    its not for improving application its used to serve you ads, and why should, i have ads in my already expensive iPhone/iPod/iPad, if the device was really cheap or free, i can understand the price.

and you can't even to option-out the ads. if you like seeing ads then its good for you, but i hate it.

yeah i hate sony for that too.

18. DrPepper

Thanks Received:
    It says "This location data is collected anonymously in a form that does not personally identify you and is used by Apple and our partners and licensees to provide and improve location-based products and services. For example, we may share geographic location with application providers when you opt in to their location services"

How can they target me with better ads if the information collected is anonymous ?

19. Kreij

Kreij Senior Monkey Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    There is nothing to personally identify who you are (like name, address, etc), but your device is identified and tracked by geographical location and most likely your online habits.

20. DrPepper

Thanks Received:
    Still isn't really a bad thing. It's like targeted ads on the internet and TV. If I am a car enthusiast I'd probably watch top gear so car makers etc will put ads up inbetween top gear. Same as on the internet. If I'm on a tech site it will show me ads for hardware etc.

21. Dent1

Thanks Received:
    It applies to anything apple related! Any current invention or product Apple device or any product or invention Apple comes up with in the short or long distant future will be sending your personal data. Also what about users with 3G internet connections on their Iphone or portable device, 3G is on by default and will be sending personal information about your likes, dislikes, where-about, habits, geographical location etc 24-7! Now when you check your email or log into itunes they cam bombard you will spammy targeted adverts most probably from third party companies that paid Apple off.

22. inferKNOX

inferKNOX

Thanks Received:
    So does this include devices previously released by Apple, or just to those currently being released onwards?

23. SabreWulf69

SabreWulf69 New Member

Thanks Received:
    That and the hypocritical winging sheeple who get one that haven't ever liked it in the first place just to bitch about something new.

24. tigger

tigger I'm the only one

Thanks Received:
    Can you post up them server addresses to add to hosts file when you find them Wile E please.

25. remixedcat

remixedcat

Thanks Received:
    Never have I given so much thanks on a forum before. WOAH!