1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

So that's how I stop the unusual wireless pings...

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Jimmy 2004, Jul 8, 2006.

1. Jimmy 2004

Jimmy 2004 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hopefully this thread might be useful to anyone using a wireless network (especially for online gaming) like me. I was finding that if I ran 100 or so pings to my router, over 95% of those would be 1ms, with one or two around 7ms BUT a couple which were ridiculously high like 900ms. I'd done my best to set up the router, tried changing wireless channels, using hardware by the same company ect, but I couldn't get past it.

My problem: Microsoft Wireless Zero

I'd always prefered to use the built in M$ tool for managing my network, because I don't like having to use extra third party programs for stuff like that, but now I've moved to the Ralink Wireless utility all my pings are 1ms and I no longer get BF2 telling me "There is a problem with your connection". I beleive it could be related to the way XP scans for wireless networks in the background every minute. So if anyone else is having wireless problems like this, I now strongly recommend you use the application that came with your card, I think it can also sometimes solve wireless drops. Hope this is useful.

2. zekrahminator

zekrahminator McLovin

Thanks Received:
    Thanks! The drivers for my Gigabyte card auto-disabled anything by Microsoft, so I win :D.

3. DRDNA

DRDNA

Thanks Received:
    Be very careful of ping mites they are nasty little critters and if you catch them you will need a veterinarian.