1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

so tired of people thinking that spending lots of $ on PC stuff = mad PC skills!

Discussion in 'General Nonsense' started by smashed_99cbr, Jan 5, 2010.

1. smashed_99cbr New Member

Thanks Received:
    so tried of people thinking that spending lots of $ on PC stuff = mad PC skills!

I see this all the time... guys that spend tons of money on a rig and then all they do is bump the FSB and all of the sudden they think they have 'skills' in the PC world...

they dont even know what p95 is let alone if their CPU is stable... they just read a couple tom's hardware reviews and all of the sudden they are a big dog...

this new breed of PC 'overclockers' and 'modders' seem to 'have everything figured out'... they are disrespectful and nearly violent if you dare to question their 'knowledge' they will ignore basic logic and even commonly excepted scientific facts and replace it with their own twisted version of reality...

I even witnessed one such 'overclocker' inform me that using a car's heater core was not only 'ghetto' but that it would kill my CPU... never mind that my rig had the same CPU as his and was running 600mhz higher than his but some how my POS white trash water cooling setup was able to have load temps that where around 18c lower than his...

its like there is no respect for the little guy that OC's the hell outta that old q6600 to 4.2GHz (which, some say, would keep up with a stock i7 920) build there own water cooling setup, volt mod there cards and push the living crap outta there system till it finally goes out in a blaze of glory!

what ever happened to the true over clocker? the guy that couldnt afford that new pentium so instead he over clocked the crap outta a celeron 300a and made the pentium look like crap... or the guy that OC'ed an old 1700+ and made its intel counter parts cry?

what happened?

2. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    People worldwide are just under alot more stress than 18 months ago, and it shows.

Anyway, that has really always been an issue at times...egos.:shadedshu

Just feel good knowing that not only does this happen, it will never stop, as long as people feel that having something different than somone else makes them better, and $$$ = priority.

I mean really, it's just a pc...is it really that important? Who cares if someone is faster...bigger...better...only those with issues.

erocker says thanks.
  3. Papahyooie

Papahyooie

Thanks Received:
    Nothing happened. We're still here. I used to game on a geforce 8500gt with an old CPU heat sink strapped on with zip ties and memory chip coolers, overclocked to 900mhz, and my pentium 4 at 4ghz and hitting 85c every now and then... Granted I know i'm not the worlds most knowlegable modder/overclocker in the world and I've never gotten anywhere near breaking any records, but there is still something to be said for creativeness, ingenuity, and just plain having the balls to do something. Heck, check my sig I use a modded emachines for a secondary gaming rig lol.

4. Paulieg

Paulieg The Mad Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    For me, the fun of the overclocking hobby is to see how much I can squeeze out of a system, regardless of price. I don't judge peoples skillz based on whether they have high or low end stuff, nor do I think I'm better or worse than anyone else based on my personal equipment.

I will say that the overclocking hobby has lent itself to noobs over the last couple of years. The components are just much easier to tweak than they used to be. That's just how it is, for better or worse.

I miss the 939 days personally. Those chips took some talent to overclock well, and there were great rewards for those who had the patience to keeping working.

5. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    This has always been. I think you have the misconception that this is how things normally are. I can say with confidence that most people on this forum would respect the overclocking of any piece of hardware that is a notable overclock regardless of the hardware. People buy new stuff all the time and like to post it up on a forum, this has been happening since I've been using internet forums. In any aspect of life you will have those who will throw their money at anything to have the best and be the best. It's best to just get over it and not let silly things that don't matter bother you. :toast:

6. Exeodus

Exeodus

Thanks Received:
    The same thing happened to the car scene when every douche that had a Civic or Corolla and watched The Fast and The Furious thought they had a race car. They then hit Pep Boys to buy "speed" parts, and then they think they could step up to my Trans Am :wtf:

Idiots :shadedshu

Nailezs says thanks.
  7. smashed_99cbr New Member

Thanks Received:

lol... i know what you mean... those kids wanted to run my BMW too...

8. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    Dont worry. Most of these people buy Apples anyway..........(waits for WileE to kick me in the nuts). :laugh:

Anyway I came to TPU long ago for reasons I do not remember and have learned a great deal since then. What I do know, I know for fact. What I don't know will be corrected as soon as I state that fact. :twitch: :laugh:

Thats why I love TPU. Even if someone is dead wrong about something they will admit it and ask the community the right way to do things. Sometimes we get people that are never "wrong" but you can always tell those jokers.......newtek :laugh:

Ill run that sauerkraut bucket!

9. Fourstaff

Fourstaff Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I know exactly how you feel, I know people who are like that but at different things. My teacher once said "the more know the less you talk", that quote has never failed me.

10. smashed_99cbr New Member

Thanks Received:
    not in corners... see that the differnece... when the honda kids say not in the corners they had no idea how to even attack a corner... when the guy in the bimmer says it het knows that a 5-spd, rear wheel drive, limited slip car with a full after market suspension setup(not just springs) will kill in the corners...

but you would kill me in the straights for sure... lol

I miss my old Camaro... build 502BB to just shy of 550hp... that poor 350 turbo trans... RIP :(

11. 3volvedcombat

3volvedcombat New Member

Thanks Received:
    This was a random thread. If by any chance you know people like that, like ive known, then talk to them, explain there not all that, and explain what you can do if you had the same hardware.

I really think your thread was compeletly stupid, and anustly i dont know people that spend big cash and just bump the FSB, and think there all that after im done with them.

Had a guy 2-3 days ago show me the specs of his alienware. It was a current one with a i7 920, and 2 GTX 260's. I only had a q9550 quad core. But i explained how it was faster then his i7 that was overclocked to 2.8Ghz. With benchmarks, explinations, and proof.

I srsly think this thread is piontliss and should be in a nonsense forum.

12. Binge

Binge Overclocking Surrealism

Thanks Received:
    I slightly see where the OP is coming from, but does he really WANT to be a part of communities with this mindset? It's really exasperating to see enough people band together and talk about what their money can buy. That's why I post here and not on EVGA forums.

13. InTeL-iNsIdE Guest

meh, nothing new about the op, not just in overclocking in life in general, but why waste a moment worrying about it? some people think they're right all of the time, but heck, rather than argue with an idiot and let him beat you at experience it is better to say nothing at all and let them be delusional ;) :toast:

14. 3volvedcombat

3volvedcombat New Member

Thanks Received:
    If someone likes braging about there system and such, and how they spent so much cash and barly even overclock it. Let them

Also dont let them get into your head, even if you post and 6-10 people follow the guy that has the expensive rig and his nasty comment, and people critisize you. Its all about the proof, and the numbers, and at the end of the day someone gets on your nerves and you know your right, your better at overclocking, and what he might be going threw that just live and laugh at it.

PP said that he ran his overclock at 4.6Ghz on his i5 on Phaze 24/7 and it was stable enough. I still dont mind, and completely belive PP, but i know when im not stable for even 65-60 runs of Intelburntest i crash in a game sometimes or freeze. So you never know O;.

15. Papahyooie

Papahyooie

Thanks Received:
    Easy killer. It's relavent to overclocking, IMO. And "anustly" if you think something is "piontliss" then you probably shouldn't post there hm? Just because you don't know anyone like that doesn't mean that they don't exist. Trust me i've known plenty.

16. BlackOmega

BlackOmega

Thanks Received:
    This type of thing happens on EVERY type of enthusiast forum. Doesn't matter whether it's cars, computers, whatever. To those kind of people, just smile and nod. Personally, I don't even help them even if I do have the answer. Being rude and disrespectful to someone that is trying to help you is just stupid. I usually find very creative ways of insulting them, and unless they think about what I've said they'll never even know I did it. :D

As for the fast and furious kids, well they can live in their misconception all they want, when they would pull up to my 'stang (400hp 5 spd), I'd just blown their doors off. Then I would let off the gas and let them catch up. Then blow their doors off again. LOL! It was like I would have 2-3 races all in one race. LOL!
    And the best part about my stang, it handled. :) So they couldn't pull that BS line "it only goes in a straight line". Thanks but my car with slicks (road racing) could easily pull over a G in the skidpad. :rockout:

17. dr emulator (madmax)

dr emulator (madmax)

Thanks Received:
    well i'm more of a mechanic when it comes to pc's, and no i don't think i know it all, anyone who says they do are a lying t censored.gif t but your attitude that x doesn't know everything you do is awfull, people learn often by making mistakes ,that's how humanity has moved forward from the dark ages ,to me it's the ability to say whoops yes i made a mistake , like i did the other day i didn't holeheartedly know ddr2 could be flashed but then again how would i know, i have been using the same pc for over 6 years with ddr 333 :slap: but i didn't flame about it, now i know ,i'll soon get myself an i7 for my emulatory purposes and after a few years i'll still not know everything ,like i've said if i can help a newbie i will if i can't i won't, i'll make some suggestions ,but like i've also said many times before pc's are very difficult to diagnose problems on and give sollutions over the net ,simply because no one is perfect, there's always something small your likely to have missed when asking for help.
    beating newbies up because they are full of it isn't good though, try and help, google there errors, private message them if you see faults in there logic, but be carefull you don't get the banstick ;)