1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

so when will you get your vista on ?

Discussion in 'General Software' started by Easy Rhino, Jan 31, 2007.

?

When will you install vista on your home machine

1. Already have Vista running

12 vote(s)
    24.0%
  2. By April

3 vote(s)
    6.0%
  3. By July

13 vote(s)
    26.0%
  4. By December

10 vote(s)
    20.0%
  5. NEVER!!!!! *nix for life!

12 vote(s)
    24.0%
  1. Easy Rhino

Easy Rhino Linux Advocate

Thanks Received:
    when when when?!

Crunching for Team TPU
  2. tigger

tigger I'm the only one

Thanks Received:
  3. Easy Rhino

Easy Rhino Linux Advocate

Thanks Received:
    Crunching for Team TPU
  4. Grings

Grings New Member

Thanks Received:
    i picked july, but may/june if compatability/stability is sorted by then

5. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
    Really depends on application compatibility for me, as much as drivers, so I voted Dec. If it ain't broke, don't fix it... besides I'm about to order a second test machine at work that'll have Vista on it... perhaps that'll change my mind :)

6. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
  7. bmwthd

bmwthd New Member

Thanks Received:
    I see no point in running it until its required for me to run a game or somethin

8. J0N

J0N New Member

Thanks Received:
    Depends on when my 'Dream Machine' is complete! ;)

9. Alec§taar New Member

Thanks Received:
    Someone who's going to find NewTekie1 and teach hi
    I'd have to agree w/ that... totally in fact!

:)

* That WILL work for me, & has on previous "OS transitions" in the past, all the way from Windows 3.x/DOS -> Win9x -> NT-based OS!

(Present really as far as Windows NT-based/heritaged OS since NT 3.5x, which I ran concurrently w/ 9x mostly over the 1994-1997 timeframe, when I went over to NT-based stuff totally for, when Win2000 came out & was SOLID, for BOTH apps + drivers-wise).

Honestly? I'd love to run it NOW... I like how AERO GLASS looks, & I do respect some of the stuff you do NOT see in security features in this new OS from MS!

HOWEVER, I am not sure, for example, if the caching SATA/SATA2 controller I have from Promise (SuperTrak) has a driver for VISTA ready... Also, I know that NVidia (whose video hardware I like due to my like of OpenGL (really, IDSoftware)) isn't totally ready either.

* So, presently @ least, what's the point of my going to VISTA now? None, imo... not yet, driver support for the hardware I use is possibly incomplete OR 'spotty' still, NOR (edit part) do I like the "DRM" arm-twisting that's going on to/with MS, or the OpenGL gaming mess either.

APK

P.S.=> The drivers mess will clear up, eventually, if the vendors of said "problem-child" hardwares want to stay in business over the long-haul imo... apps will MOSTLY be OK (Win32 usermode ones, BUT not ones that combine in filtering drivers usage like AntiVirus etc. though, or for "BLOCK DEVICE DRIVERS" which talk to your harddisks & then to filesystems drivers, for example, this may be a problem spot too @ some points imo as well)... apk

Last edited: Jan 31, 2007
  10. zekrahminator

zekrahminator McLovin

Thanks Received:
    To be honest I want it now, but there's really no need and I don't have the cash. Darth Flatulence is starting to crap out (lol), so there's probably a new build coming, may involve Vista. That's what I'm aiming for anyways, Vista will certainly be interesting.

11. Ketxxx

Ketxxx Heedless Psychic

Thanks Received:
    theres really no need for vista. until a proper dx10 game comes about, and by then no doubt dx10 would of been made to work on xp, as thers still no valid technical reason why dx10 cant work on xp.

12. DanTheBanjoman Señor Moderator

Thanks Received:
    Probably never, Perhaps I'll go for Longhorn server.

13. overcast New Member

Thanks Received:
    The graphics API and the driver model has been SIGNIFICANTLY changed in Vista. They had to rewrite DX9 just to work smoothly with Vistas new model.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/d...directx9_c/Graphics_APIs_in_Windows_Vista.asp
    Start reading, plenty of technical reasons for you.

Even if it was somehow ported, why would you want to run it through emulation layer hula hoops? You'll just be impacting performance. Nevermind the astronomical costs involved in retrofitting it into an existing 5 year old OS. You'd be paying for it regardless, with something like XP "SE".

14. amd64skater

amd64skater

Thanks Received:
    im going to wait at least 2 years to make sure they get alot of the bugs out first and the hardware is good enough to upgrade for now i dont need vista

15. p-jack New Member

Thanks Received:
    with my next major hardware upgrade i think, so i voted by december...

16. Lazzer408

Lazzer408

Thanks Received:
  17. overcast New Member

Thanks Received:
    I hope you enjoy playing old games :)

18. amd64skater

amd64skater

Thanks Received:
    i really dont play much games on my pc mainly on my xbox i play games the only game i play on my pc is ut2004

19. DaMulta

DaMulta My stars went supernova

Thanks Received:
    When I get my hands on a R600 XTX

20. Solaris17

Solaris17 Creator Solaris Utility DVD

Thanks Received:
    Also to be honest i want it now and i beta'd it from the microsoft site itself however i want it to work like xp right now too. impossible of me? ya i guess but i run linux to a system that NEEDS to be tweaked so why would a linux junkie honestly expect a new OS like vista to work when linux itself has to be made stable by the user? well ill tell you because linux is free and i think any company that makes millions a day that is ruled by the richest man in the world and a company that has its hand in anything technological that can expand grow and make money for itself should at least have the time and $$$ to make an operating sytem that can boot without a BSOD

and thats my 2 cents...

damn actually pretty proud of that

21. Scavar

Scavar New Member

Thanks Received:
    I trust what Wildtangent says as far as I can throw my computer...and my computer ways a good 60pounds and I don't do any weight lifting. Vista has something to work out, mostly driver issues. I know more then a few people in person who have it for sometime, and could run many of the games I play just fine. I like DX10 and I know it won't be ported, not easily or cheaply anyways.

I picked april, because I figure most Driver issues will be settled by then, and well if I read by then that there are still a lot of problems, then ill wait longer. Besides, Vista looks cool.

22. niko084

niko084

Thanks Received:
    I'm playing with Linux now to try to get full fast support for 3d gaming. Hopefully a few more games will be fully released for linux because it is just oooo soo efficient! :)

Odds are 2003 Server that I'm ready to install now will be my last MS OS. I have been working with various linux versions for years now trying to learn them so I could get away from microsoft. I'm already about to the point the only thing I do in windows is gaming. Everything else is way faster under Fedora 6.

23. bhaskar15 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I've been using Vista RC1, RC2 and now the (Legal)Vista Ultimate RTM version. Liked it a lot than XP. But, drivers....MUST BE ENHANCED !!

24. Judas

Judas

Thanks Received:
    coming soon

25. GLD

GLD

Thanks Received:
    I voted by December. I figure at least by then Nvidia will actually have some official Vista platform/motherboard drivers. But then again, by December I will have prob. switched over my main rig to the other camp. So they (Nvidia) better hurry the heck up if they want to keep me running their schwag. :p