1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

So, who bought a Nintendo 3DS Today?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by DaMulta, Mar 28, 2011.

1. KieranD

KieranD

Thanks Received:
    Actually the reason for that is because the 3DS has a larger resolution so the DS games are stretched to fit the screen, you can however hold in start and select whilst pressing the start game icon to get it back to its original res! Unfortunately it makes the screen size small so there are borders.

Got my 3DS on the thursday 24th on preorder, fuck those midnight launches they are terrible they had guys in costumes for COD and you can try the product but its just a bunch of teens staring at each other noting exciting.

- Super Monkey Ball looks like an early Gamecube title but it plays well and shows off the gyroscope and 3D features, the kart racing is just a crap tacky add on which they should have used for more puzzles.

- Street Fighter 4 3D looks great the back grounds are not as good as the home versions but the character models look exactly the same, its the same game in effect so its still brilliant. Only problem is using the shoulder buttons get taking used too.

EDIT: It should be able to play music and 3D videos with apps and it has a browser (needs updating to unlock).
    Mostly you buy it for the games like Zelda or Metal Gear Solid 3 not the graphics but i do think they are not bad and gamecubish wii-ish.

The PSP2 has no noticeable titles from what ive seen, nice graphics and two analogues (FINALLY).
    TBH i think the 3DS is in for a price drop at Christmas because the thing only costs around the same as a DSi to make and thats about $100-120 i read in an article.

The 3D works if you change the slider and depends very much on the source and the viewing distance; whoever is trying to view a portable games console with 2 people or more is stupid because the screens are tiny anyway so it makes no difference that the 3D cant be viewed from different angles. HOWEVER at least you don't need a fucking pair of goggles to view it. The 3D is more for depth and layering, menus look up at the front and in SSFIV 3D the background do look far in the back. Sometimes you get things poping out but its not like the cinema where into titles bend into your face and things come right up, its mostly in the screen. I get tired eyes after an hour but nothing extreme i don't play for more than that anyway because there isnt a game that would hold me for that long lol.

AUGMENTED REALITY GAMES ARE THE DOGS PROVERBIAL!
    Put a small card on your desk or table and the cameras track it and make use of the environment: for example targets appear on the table and you shoot them buy moving the DS with its gyroscope, it starts to bend the surface then it physically wobbles on the screen and in one game hills/mountains appear and you need to get a ball to a hole. There is a graffiti app and whatever you draw appears in front of you in 3D (gimmicky but cool the first time you see it). They could use this feature a lot more for some interesting type games.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2011
    DaMulta and BumbleBee say thanks.
  2. DaMulta

DaMulta My stars went supernova

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for the small write up on it.

KieranD says thanks.
  3. Mega-Japan

Mega-Japan

Thanks Received:
    I agree. Initially I thought it would look better due to the [slightly] better resolution, but boy, was I wrong...

"3DS Lite" will take more than 12 months to be released. DS Lite was released about 2 years after the original, so it will take at least about 18 months for to see the upcoming sequel.

4. KieranD

KieranD

Thanks Received:
    Well the idea of a larger battery was suggested to Nintendo so i hope they do make one, at least then i can buy one and just fit it myself because 4 hours is piss poor. The Cameras are terrible too at 640x480 resolution and in this day and age that is horrible.

The thing is though that until the games like Star Fox and Metal Gear Solid come out you will never know if this will bomb or not.

The game gear and sega nomad those where terrible battery lifes.

The stretching of DS games is almost like stretching a youtube video where it goes all pixelated and that! TBH though i did have an original DS so anything is pretty much better. Was the DSiXL this bad at stretching?

5. Mega-Japan

Mega-Japan

Thanks Received:
    I have a DSi XL and the games look just fine on it. It's like playing the original Super Mario on the Wii. You don't necessarily see any blurry stuff. This seems to apply to this case only so far.
    Oh, and I'm waiting for games like Kid Icarus Uprising, and some Metroid and Fire Emblem games.

6. Jstn7477

Jstn7477

Thanks Received:
    DSi XL has the same resolution as the DS, so instead you just get huge pixels.

Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  7. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    They are remaking the original Zelda?!?!?! LINKS NOW!

8. brandonwh64

brandonwh64 Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!

Thanks Received:
    TheMailMan78 says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  9. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
  10. CDdude55

CDdude55 Crazy 4 TPU!!!

Thanks Received:
    Im trading in a PSP 3000, PSP Go, DS Lite and DSi all for a 3DS. lol :)

11. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    Was thinking of getting one for our our young one but decided against as there region locked and we trade games back and forth with other family in the UK. Then there was the thought that the DS is doing harm to her eye's too and all so looks like it's got the same crappy hinges on it too.

12. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    I wouldn't get one for your mini-me. I wouldn't buy one for a daughters ether. Its bad for their eyes man.

I joke around about a lot of stuff but when it comes to kids I don't joke. Keep the 3DS away from children.

13. majestic12

majestic12

Thanks Received:
    region lock?!! Oh no! That was one of the things they messed up...
    -I loved being able to play both Japanese and American games on my Gameboy or DS. Looks like I won't be playing any American 3DS games in the future.

14. KieranD

KieranD

Thanks Received:
    I thought that the zelda remake was ocarina of time? Just like star fox is a remake of the n64 version?

Anyway they say under 6 years olds shouldnt definately play it becasue their eyes are still developing or whatever but i think 8 and up was said to be fine as long as its with breaks. You need to take breaks every 30mins but i played for up to an hour and im 20 years old so i think that is fine for me personally. Depends on how far you view it from and that but you can play every single game in 2D just by adjusting the slider down.

Over here they are doing so many trade in deals for older DS, DS lite get £60 off and more for the DSi+XL

15. JUDOHAWK New Member

Thanks Received:
    I bought one yesterday. Wasn't going to but with Kmart's 25 off a game I decided to get it with Pilot Wings. As always with Nintendo systems I'm having alot of fun. Can't wait for more games to come out, but I can see the potential with this system. The 3D effect is cool, but I don't know how much I'll use it. The effect in Pilot Wings is kindof like Wow! when you first see it. It's like I'm looking through a window into the game world. I was feeling dizzy last night so that's why I'm not sure how much I'll use it.

16. MxPhenom 216

MxPhenom 216 Corsair Fanboy

Thanks Received:
    I was just talking bout this today at lunch at school with some friends. and one kid who has a mom who works at Nintendo got mad at my other friend who said that the 3DS has really bad battery life.

He got up and was like "dude shut up i dont really care, its still awesome" it was so funny. like watching little girl fight over a barbie.

Its a cool concept the whole 3d without the glasses but i dont like hand helds. i may get one later on since i seem to travel a lot and i like the mario cart 3d and zelda ocarina of time remakes they are doing.

17. Delta6326

Delta6326

Thanks Received:
    sounds like i can use my Acekard AK2i... if i had money i would update from DSL to the 3DS

18. PVTCaboose1337

PVTCaboose1337 Graphical Hacker

Thanks Received:
    Yeah well there is an SD card so I'm sure that will be hacked soon enough.

19. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    Yeah i have noticed.

Yup i thought the same thing, i heard it in some internet video's which sream though our bd player.

20. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    Well I was just giving you a heads up as a fellow dad. :toast: