1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

SOE tears apart its playerbase...

Discussion in 'Games' started by Vancha, Feb 22, 2012.

1. Vancha

Thanks Received:
    http://forums.station.sony.com/station/posts/list.m?topic_id=11500038788

SOE's made many mistakes in the past, but one thing it's always done right is allowing people to play with each other no matter which side of the Atlantic they were on. Now they've signed a deal that rips apart countless communities. Personally I was looking forward to playing Planetside 2 with my old multi-national outfit, but now I won't be able to.

2. NinkobEi

NinkobEi

Thanks Received:
    Yeah if they split up the Poxnora population (maybe 300-400 people total), that game will die fast.

3. ShiBDiB

ShiBDiB

Thanks Received:
    god forbid they try to make the servers less stressed and run smoother...

4. 1Kurgan1

1Kurgan1 The Knife in your Back

Thanks Received:
    As if server stress on games that are a few years old is really the issue here. What MMO doesn't fix their server stress issues after a month of being out? Usually companys make a decision like this because they feel it's best for their customers to game on a server that they have the best connection to. But this is something that should be established when a game releases, not years after they have been out and communities have been formed. Which is what the post is about, if people want to play on a server they don't have as good of a connection to, because thats where they know people, then let them do so.

5. ShiBDiB

ShiBDiB

Thanks Received:
    SOE has never been community friendly, I know this much from Planetside. But I'm not gonna fault them for offloading some server responsibility and probably saving money.

6. Mr McC

Mr McC

Thanks Received:
    Why not, if it stops you playing with the lads? Moreover, why should I be in any way happy about this company's increased profit margins, assuming we are both approaching this question with a preference for its services over and above its share prices or revenue?

7. ShiBDiB

ShiBDiB

Thanks Received:
    Because you play an SOE game expecting to get boned... anyone thinking otherwise hasnt done much research.

8. Mr McC

Mr McC

Thanks Received:
    I play none of those games, have carried out no research and do not expect to get boned in the foreseeable future.

9. 1Kurgan1

1Kurgan1 The Knife in your Back

Thanks Received:
    It shouldn't be like that, and thats the point of the thread. But I do agree, just would be nice if they made a step in the other direction.

10. human_error

human_error

Thanks Received:
    Ugh this is a regressive move from SOE. There are no technical reasons to split up Western gamers and doing this will just kill off games early as multinational groups will just find another game to play (it's not like there aren't alternatives out there).

Splitting up Asian and Western gamers I can understand due to the language barriers and server communication distances involved, but splitting up US and EU gamers? Madness.

11. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    After the cleaning up I've had to do here, I suggest everyone stay on topic and post in a civil manner. I will not say this again.

1Kurgan1 says thanks.
  12. Killer_Rubber_Ducky

Killer_Rubber_Ducky

Thanks Received:
    I for one, having not played Planetside as i do not like subscription based gaming especially if I have to buy the game then pay a monthly fee to play it, am looking forward to Planetside 2. Personally due to my connection I would prefer to play on a US based server but would like to play with extra-nationals too.