1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Software errors due to hardware issue.

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by DrPepper, Mar 15, 2013.

1. DrPepper

DrPepper The Doctor is in the house

Thanks Received:
    Good day all:toast:

First off, been a while since I've posted here. Been working constantly the past year and it is a shame I haven't been as active as usual.

I'm here today with an issue that I've tried loads of stuff and I'm stumped as how to fix it. The issue being that when I came back from leave I went on my PC at work and it was having issues downloading games on steam.

At first I thought internet was dodgy and I reset the router here at work and it didn't fix it at all. Laptop was downloading fine.

So I thought hard drive issue and re-installed on a different drive. Issue persisted.

Changed the image I was using of windows 7 x64. No difference

Ran MemTest. No RAM issues. Lowered speed to DDR3 1066mhz and reverted to stock. No difference

Reinstalled 3-4 times, no difference.

Absolutely and completely at a loss on what the issue is. I'm beginning to think the motherboard is the issue but I have no way to test it. I also have limited resources in changing parts or sending stuff away for an RMA.

Picture one is errors that happen in steam. It also occurs with anything to do with unzipping and extracting files. The second image of steam is what happens in chrome that web pages do not load properly and often images do not display correctly and often have random colours through them making them look corrupted.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2013
  2. caleb

Thanks Received:
    Looks like a faulty SSD/HDD to me. Can you try installing on another drive?
    Also can you make sure all the base voltages are as they should be ? CPU for instance?
    memtest should detect errors but you can also try taking out one stick (i assume you have dual channel).
  3. DrPepper

Thanks Received:
    Reinstalling on another HDD as we speak. The SSD is my biggest suspect right now and it is 3 year old now I think about it. Hope so because I can't find 1366 boards anywhere.
  4. 95Viper

95Viper

Thanks Received:
    Have you seen this, it may help... Why do I get NSIS Error

Do you use Superantispyware? Just mentioning it, because, someone was having trouble with it yesterday or day before that. It was popping up with a possible false positive.
    Maybe, your A/V or Malware scanner is causing it.

Edit:
    Also, you may want to delete your temp files, too.
    You can search for them by: Clicking start; then, type "%temp%" in search box(without the quotations), then delete the files that affect your downloads.
    You could, also, setup and use something like Ccleaner, too, I guess.
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2013
  5. DrPepper

Thanks Received:
    Haven't even installed any software and this is happening. Installed on another HDD and still getting this.

[​IMG]
  6. 95Viper

95Viper

Thanks Received:
    Get this: Complete Internet Repair
    They are in process of moving their downloads to a new site, so you can download it from here: Datumza.com
    Direct download link, for those who don't like clicking or touching:http://datumza.com/wp-content/files/cintrep.zip

Unzip it, run it, click on all the boxes, click GO!, reboot when given option, and try your connection.
    [​IMG]

Edit:
    Did you flush your browser cache?
    Try a different browser. <---(just for testing, not directed at fixing NSIS issue)
    DrPepper says thanks.
  7. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    Maybe run a scandisk\chkdsk..
  8. McSteel

McSteel

Thanks Received:
    Can't see which CPU you have, it just says "i7 3.8 GHz"... This could be a VTT/QPI DRAM/IMC voltage problem. But Gulftown and Bloomfield require different voltages there, the former shouldn't go over ~1.35V for everyday use, and the latter can safely go to ~1.5V. The thing to remember here is to keep the difference between the RAM voltage and the IMC voltage under 0.5V. I'd say try to bring those voltages closer together, depending on your RAM and CPU architecture... Maybe it's not the source of your problem, but it's a good start.

Tried running Prime95? Use the test with the least amount of RAM used, I'm curious about the L3 cache - it may be malfunctioning for some reason...
  9. DrPepper

Thanks Received:
    Did that and had no errors on any of my disks. Tried installing on each HDD and SSD and same issue.

Everything is back at stock and even had voltage at up at 1.3v for cpu at stock to see if that made a difference.

Only thing that did make a difference was taking RAM out and trying different slots but it's went back to not working. Definitely think the mobo is to blame here.
    AsRock says thanks.
  10. McSteel

McSteel

Thanks Received:
    Is your RAM at 1.65V? Could you try running it at 1.5V, while having the IMC at 1.3V? Downclock as needed, of course. And what about that Prime95? RAM test skips cache memory, and with good reason. Using small FFTs that fit into CPU's cache could reveal a weak point, at least in theory. I won't assume, so I'll ask: Have you tried flashing latest BIOS (including any betas and community modified ones)?
    DrPepper says thanks.
  11. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    Any chance you can copy your Steam folder to another HDD\SSD and run that ?.
    DrPepper says thanks.
  12. DrPepper

Thanks Received:
    Yeah ran prime95 blend for an hour and that was also fine. I moved my steam installation to a new drive and it gets rid of the steam problem at least.
  13. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    Tried a different SATA cable and even a different SATA port ?. And you could try resetting the bios to it's default ?, cmos clear and all that.
  14. DrPepper

Thanks Received:
    Done a CMOS clear and can't get access to any other equipment where I am right now. That's my dilemma.
  15. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    Not even a different sata port you could try, all so maybe trying with less sticks of ram just for the sake of it and test with each one..

As you have reinstalled are all drivers installed going by device manager ?. Although it does sound like a bad sata port \ sata controller but if that was the case why it letting you reinstall a OS without issue so maybe a driver issue so maybe the motherboard drivers ?.

Just another thought does it do it in safe mode too ?.
    DrPepper says thanks.
  16. DrPepper

Thanks Received:
    Been working on this during the day and so far got rid of the web pages being corrupted. Steam installs games only on all hdd except the one specifically for steam. Used all my Sata ports up I'm sure. Still having problems with the wifi and I'm using a wifi adapter that works intermittently and using my phone as a USB tether which cuts out sometimes.
  17. johnspack

johnspack

Thanks Received:
    I would look at the sata ports too. I dealt with a weird data corruption issue for quite a while on my 1366 mobo and finally traced it to a single sata port. I was using all my ports so it was a pain to diagnose. Fortunately I have a server that I could move 1 drive to. Have you run a smart test on all hds? Although I actually traced it through event viewer. In my case it started to lock up my computer ect, so I had to solve it.
  18. DrPepper

Thanks Received:
    Interestingly I reinstalled my drivers for my wifi dongle for the millionth time and everything seems to be working so far. Going to test it by installing win8 on my SSD and putting everything back in see if that works.
  19. DrPepper

Thanks Received:
    Update: The issue appeared to be the wifi dongle and I swapped it out for another and it worked flawlessly. Haven't had any issues at all since I changed it.
    AsRock says thanks.
  20. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    Sweet :).
    DrPepper says thanks.