• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

SOHO routers are all plagued with security holes

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
System Name Quantumville™
Processor Intel Core i7-2700K @ 4GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB (2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Black DDR3 PC3-12800 C9 1600MHz)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming X Trio
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB | WD Black 4TB | WD Blue 6TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Case Cooler Master HAF 922
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty PCIe
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Mouse Microsoft Intellimouse Pro - Black Shadow
Keyboard Yes
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Looks like every single model of home router that we all use has bags of security holes in it, according to security experts. Not great news is it?

Years ago, I used to connect to ADSL via an Alcatel USB modem plugged into a PC working as an IPCop firewall, which was very secure. However, that modem only supported 8Mb/s so can't be used today without a serious performance loss, so I'm now using a bog standard router too. I used to set it to pass-through mode and have IPCop firewall the internet, but I haven't bothered with this in ages as it tended to be problematic with this model.

Unfortunately, one can't get plain vanilla ADSL modems nowadays with just an ethernet port and no other functionality to repeat this setup with modern components. What a shame.

Home and small business router security is terrible. Exploits emerge with depressing regularity, exposing millions of users to criminal activities.

Many of the holes are so simple as to be embarrassing. Hard-coded credentials are so common in small home and office routers, comparatively to other tech kit, that only those with tin-foil hats bother to suggest the flaws are deliberate.

Read all about it at The Register (warning long attention span needed).

Processor Intel i5-6600
Motherboard ASRock H170M-ITX
Cooling Cooler Master Geminii S524
Memory G.Skill DDR4-2133 16GB (8GB x 2)
Video Card(s) Gigabyte R9-380X 4GB
Storage Samsung 950 EVO 250GB (mSATA)
Display(s) LG 29UM69G-B 2560x1080 IPS
Case Lian Li PC-Q25
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC892
Power Supply Seasonic SS-460FL2
Mouse Logitech G700s
Keyboard Logitech G110
Software Windows 10 Pro
On my to-buy list is a new router. My current one hasn't been supported in about a year so beyond the bugs I know aren't getting fixed there are probably a bunch of unpatched sploits I don't know about.

remixedcat talks about her Meraki Z1 and I'm thinking of going that route.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
This is one of the reasons I always buy routers that support 3rd party firmware(Tomato or DD-WRT, I prefer Tomato). They get firmware updates for basically ever, and if bugs are found they are fixed. Unlike normal router firmware that might get one or two updated and then nothing.

Kursah

Super Moderator
Staff member
System Name Kursah's Gaming Rig 2018 (2022 Upgrade) - Ryzen+ Edition | Gaming Laptop (Lenovo Legion 5i Pro 2022)
Processor R7 5800X @ Stock | i7 12700H @ Stock
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X370-F Gaming BIOS 6203| Legion 5i Pro NM-E231
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S Push-Pull + NT-H1 | Stock Cooling
Memory TEAMGROUP T-Force Vulcan Z 32GB (2x16) DDR4 4000 @ 3600 18-20-20-42 1.35v | 32GB DDR5 4800 (2x16)
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 4070 JetStream 12GB | CPU-based Intel Iris XE + RTX 3070 8GB 150W
Storage 4TB SP UD90 NVME, 960GB SATA SSD, 2TB HDD | 1TB Samsung OEM NVME SSD + 4TB Crucial P3 Plus NVME SSD
Display(s) Acer 28" 4K VG280K x2 | 16" 2560x1600 built-in
Case Corsair 600C - Stock Fans on Low | Stock Metal/Plastic
Audio Device(s) Aune T1 mk1 > AKG K553 Pro + JVC HA-RX 700 (Equalizer APO + PeaceUI) | Bluetooth Earbuds (BX29)
Power Supply EVGA 750G2 Modular + APC Back-UPS Pro 1500 | 300W OEM (heavy use) or Lenovo Legion C135W GAN (light)
Mouse Logitech G502 | Logitech M330
Keyboard HyperX Alloy Core RGB | Built in Keyboard (Lenovo laptop KB FTW)
Software Windows 11 Pro x64 | Windows 11 Home x64
This is one of the reasons I always buy routers that support 3rd party firmware(Tomato or DD-WRT, I prefer Tomato). They get firmware updates for basically ever, and if bugs are found they are fixed. Unlike normal router firmware that might get one or two updated and then nothing.
+1, that's for damn sure!

There are many things home users can do, but with all the cheap routers out there, anyone that chooses them without spending the time to research is likely screwed on the total security front. Odds are they're also not worth targeting too...mostly. Doesn't mean they won't ever be, I was a target when I had my cheap Belkin router...POS. I replaced that with an Asus AC66R, slapped Merlin on it, and all of my issues were solved.

I also use DNS Filtering through OpenDNS Home, with a free account. This really does amazing things on a front many often overlook. You don't NEED to register for the free service as you can just use their DNS servers, but if you do sign up, you can actually have control over filtering...so in essences it's another type of firewall to the web. Your PC, your Router, some Modems/Bridges from ISP's, and your DNS should all be filtered IMHO.

Anyone that reads this should do themselves a favor and take a look at their DNS service, if using ISP, I'd recommend trying something new unless you feel you can really trust their service (don't trust Charter's, at least for the West Rocky Mountain, West Coast regions...), even using Google's. I setup Google's DNS as a secondary, and am relying on OpenDNS filtering. It's made filtering what my kids see that much easier between limited Windows accounts, MAC filter rule restrictions filtering some sites they aren't privy to, and letting OpenDNS and Malwarebytes Premium filter the rest...works amazingly well and provides multiple layers of filtering.

https://www.opendns.com/

http://arstechnica.com/security/201...e-sites-by-understanding-sneaky-domain-names/

Most users won't waste time here, and odds are their data's been perused or partially seen and judged as useless, just depends. I've heard good things about IPCop, I've used PFSense with good results. I am pretty close to obtaining an old SonicWall TZ105 that I look very much forward to playing with!!! Keeping my fingers crossed on that deal! :D

There's so many angles to look at security, a firewall on a router is only one part of the puzzle...but it's pretty damn important.

System Name RemixedBeast-NX
Processor Intel Xeon E5-2690 @ 2.9Ghz (8C/16T)
Motherboard Dell Inc. 08HPGT (CPU 1)
Cooling Dell Standard
Memory 24GB ECC
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Nvidia RTX2060 6GB
Storage 2TB Samsung 860 EVO SSD//2TB WD Black HDD
Display(s) Samsung SyncMaster P2350 23in @ 1920x1080 + Dell E2013H 20 in @1600x900
Case Dell Precision T3600 Chassis
Audio Device(s) Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80 // Fiio E7 Amp/DAC
Power Supply 630w Dell T3600 PSU
Mouse Logitech G700s/G502
Keyboard Logitech K740
Software Linux Mint 20
Benchmark Scores Network: APs: Cisco Meraki MR32, Ubiquiti Unifi AP-AC-LR and Lite Router/Sw:Meraki MX64 MS220-8P
On my to-buy list is a new router. My current one hasn't been supported in about a year so beyond the bugs I know aren't getting fixed there are probably a bunch of unpatched sploits I don't know about.

remixedcat talks about her Meraki Z1 and I'm thinking of going that route.

Yesss!!! get ittt!!! XD ha ha Cisco Meraki makes updates constantly and they even increased firewall throughput as well twice! :D Support is fast too. And Ive' only needed it for little nag type issues nothing major unlike most other brands!

I gave up on amped becuase they neglect firmware and even people that liked them like me.
I gave them a ton of feedback and was nice enough to give them extra time to fix issues before my reviews published and tried to reason with them, they flat out ignore me and that pisses me off. Us reviewers make or break these companies and we are the ones that help them and basically provide a 6 figure service for free, when they treat us like crap then that just makes them crap.