1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Solaris is back in action!

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Solaris17, Sep 13, 2012.

1. Solaris17

Solaris17 Creator Solaris Utility DVD

Thanks Received:
    Hey guys. I'm just posting to let you know im back in the game! As many of you know last october my i5 750 shit the bed. For almost a year I was on a crappy laptop which pretty much removed me from the gaming hardware world. I then lost my job in november. Then as some may remember from my last FS thread I was planning a move to tampa and sold alot of my things. As it stands their is alot of competition for jobs and iv been turned down on a few occasions. I can say atleast that I made it down. However with no PC for almost an entire year you can imagine I felt pretty removed from the TPU community. A week or so ago however I got in contact with my brother and he was willing to give me some of his check if i helped him lay some asphalt, I accepted and a few days later he cut me some dough.

After a few hours of browsing craigslist I found a socket 1366 xeon W3520 and I just happened to have a board. So I spent the $$ and A few days later it came in! Excited as I was I went to work dropping it into the DFI t3h8 I had. Booted up fine!

Unfortunetely I dont have a monitor or keyboard. I use my GFs when she is on her laptop or out of the house. Its kind of a pain in the ass but I imagine I can get both eventually. The only other bad part is the move killed a few of my HDDs I sold my SSD during the move so I was using a 250gb primary the first few windows installs did not go so well read errors etc once I finally got it in BSODs everyware. I do some crystal disk work and sure enough my 250 has a bunch of bad sectors and my 500GB isnt even detected. So I yanked the 120GB vertex in my laptop out and used it instead. removed the 250 and 500 and relied on my backup drives instead to hold programs. oh well. I found a GTX260 i didnt manage to sell in a box and im currently using that. I also had a cooler and ram that didnt go in the sale so other then the CPU I was pretty much set. I am happily reporting that I am now online other then the occasional no monitor/no KB scenerio.

I would however like to personally thank the following people for support/helping out.

mostly the folding communities. when my FS thread was these people stepped up to help donate hardware etc unfortunetely I couldnt accept. Its not the kind of person I am.

ThE_MaD_ShOt

was actually going to BUY me a 920 with one of his paychecks

Norton

During my move Norton sent me thermal paste because I had none. Later he was actually going to GIVE me one of his AMD systems to run until I was back on my feet. From the north however and no job with bills piling up I couldnt accept I couldnt garentee it would fold or even that I would make use of it. He kept wanting to give it to me I had to decline however.

l0ngsh0ts

is a great member and donated the board to me many months ago before I lost my job and was under the impression I could get a CPU.

I would like to thank these people and the TPU community for helping me out so much. I love this place and everyone of you. This site has been a part of my EVERYDAY life since 2005 that is OVER 7 years. Im really happy to be back. Now I can continue my work making the utility DVD and other software to help fellow members and I will be able to make more regular contributions. Gaming is fun but honestly I am more happy that I can continue making enthusiasts/n00bs lives easier.

That said I really do love you guys. I will continue to be a part of this community for many more years to come and I consider you guys personal friends I would gladly meet up and shake your hands individually. Thank you for helping me be a part of the community again and thank you for being a part of my life for the past 7 years.

I have a PC back on the WCG bandwagon and I will get the PS3 to start crunching for F@H now that i am more settled into my current address and not living out of boxes. After I get this machine a little more tuned and when I get more/better cards I will start high PPD calculations. i will also begin work immedietly on my old projects, im a little late on SUDVD with mouse support.

Thank all of you and thank you w1zzard for giving me an oulet to learn so much and meet so many great people.

[​IMG]

stock vid .944v

HalfAHertz, HossHuge, n-ster and 22 others say thanks.
  2. mstenholm

Thanks Received:
    Sure there are some nice people around here.

Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  3. BUCK NASTY

BUCK NASTY F@H Mod & 4P Enthusiust Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Woot Solaris! Good to have you back on a desktop rig. I know I would go crazy without hardware to tinker with.

:toast:

Solaris17 says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  4. qubit

qubit Overclocked quantum bit

Thanks Received:
    Hey, welcome back! :toast:

Solaris17 says thanks.
  5. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
    Nice clocks on the Xeon! ...and nice post. (Group hug). I've given away a few things here, well, because eventually, it'll come back. I think there is a word for that but it escapes me. :laugh:

Solaris17 says thanks.
  6. dank1983man420

dank1983man420

Thanks Received:
    I got a plain usb keyboard(barely used ) or an old logitech wireless keyboard/mouse you can have for just shipping if it helps at all

welcome back and don't forget about F@H:toast:

Solaris17 says thanks.
  7. Solaris17

Thanks Received:
    ;) oh i wont I was post 15 and one of the original 5 i enjoy WCG but F@H is my baby.

As for the Kb I appreciate it. Id take you up on the offer unfortunetely I dont have the $$ ATM the rest of the gas in my tank is for interviews and I dont have a dime to my name to put more in when it runs out. Maybe later if I run into some luck in the job hunt.

thanks everyone!

Radical_Edward says thanks.
  8. puma99dk|

puma99dk|

Thanks Received:
    nice oc Solaris17 and if that's on stock it's even more awesome ^^

Solaris17 says thanks.
  9. DarkOCean

DarkOCean

Thanks Received:
    on top of that big mountain on mars(Romania)
    wow! nice vid on that cpu:cool:.

Solaris17 says thanks.
  10. dank1983man420

dank1983man420

Thanks Received:
    I might be able to get the shipping in a few days when these 2 bozos on ebay finally pay me. If they don't then .....
    [​IMG]

Solaris17 says thanks.
  11. Mindweaver

Mindweaver Moderato®™ Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Welcome back man! I'm looking forward to the next SUDVD! :toast: Oh and may more good luck come your way brotha! :toast:

Solaris17 says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  12. brandonwh64

brandonwh64 Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!

Thanks Received:
    What additional parts are you needing solaris? I have monitors kb/ mouses and more

stinger608 and Solaris17 say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  13. Binge

Binge Overclocking Surrealism

Thanks Received:
    I *love* that Xeon chip! So glad you're getting the most out of it. :rockout:

Solaris17 says thanks.
  14. popswala

popswala New Member

Thanks Received:
    Great to hear your back up and running. I was wondering how the move/transition went for ya.

Keep us posted on what all parts you need as I have some extra kb's/mice also. both in ps2/usb.

This really is a great community for lots of ppl to come together to help fello members out.

Solaris17 says thanks.
  15. WhiteLotus

WhiteLotus

Thanks Received:
    So you got a keyboard now? They must be a dime a dozen on eBay.

Solaris17 says thanks.
  16. Norton

Norton WCG-TPU Team Captain

Thanks Received:
    Good to hear you're settling in! :toast:

EXPECT a PM If I locate a monitor for you :D

Solaris17 says thanks.
  17. brandonwh64

Thanks Received:
    I have three monitors sitting in my living room, all are flat screens. I can certainly hook him up

Crunching for Team TPU
  18. Solaris17

Thanks Received:
    haha IDK about that. she runs really hot I cant bench at 4.5 it thermal shuts down as I push past 100C I can play skyrim etc fine at those clocks though damn AC freezer 13 is NOT an OC cooler. like at all. As for making the most out of it jesus I remember paying out the ass like $600 for the 920 on pre order and I blew $300 on an EVGA 3x SLI and it didnt touch the settings of this DFI at all I dont even know were to begin I dont even think iv heard of most of this shit.

haah no not me. my bank account has .73c in it. I can technically rub 2 quarters together but not much else.
    hahah well thanks I am a little spoiled by this current set up. it beats my old rig minus the not running triple channel part.

I appreciate it but again no one has to thats rediculous I was looking at monitors at BB their like $130 thats expensive. I dont have a dime to give anyone or id be more then happy to buy something out of the BST section. But I really just do not have the means.

As for what I dont have I dont have a KB or monitor I use my GFs stuff when she sint using her desktop. And since I built that for her I would never have the heart to take any of it.

sorry it took so long to respond iv been doing house stuff. Yes it feels great to be back thanks everyone SO much for the replies it feels good to be on the same level again instead of gracing the sidelines for the past year. and yeah buck it wasnt without difficulty. Let me tell you I almost said fuck it and dropped out all together but I kept comming back to TPu one time for like 2 months I didnt actually read anything just left it as my home page. then a thread or 2 caught my interest problems I had the answers too. Then I was hooked again but it was pretty disheartening for awhile I wanted nothing to do with PCs mostly the first few months immedietly after my desktop failure. After I regained my composure it was back to the drawing board.

19. brandonwh64

Thanks Received:
    You don't have to pay me I will give you one. I am pretty sure tons of people here would help me ship what you need. I have parts to put together like 6 machines LOL

stinger608, purecain, MT Alex and 2 others say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  20. Solaris17

Thanks Received:
    they are truly just sitting their? This is a once in a life time offer as far As I am concerned but you have to understand my pride is SCREAMING no at the mear thought of having anyone ship me anything. you must understand my difficulty. TPU has done so much already imo.

21. Norton

Norton WCG-TPU Team Captain

Thanks Received:
    I'll cover the shipping for brandons monitor

brandon ygpm ;)

DannibusX, driver66 and Solaris17 say thanks.
  22. Solaris17

Thanks Received:
    it went well I made it down with a few hundred left over but it was spent. My PCM failed the morning of the move i ran down with a paper clip inbetween my throttle and throttle plate to make it idle. i blew my right rear shock and my from driver steering stabalizer someware in new jersey turning corners at that point was all sorts of fun. my tranny started slipping about 2 weeks ago. hopefully its just a bad speed sensor because the wire sleeve seems a little chewed up for some reason.

popswala says thanks.
  23. Solaris17

Thanks Received:
    i refuse to bleeding heart on a public forum. I WILL NOT CRY.

but I will admit i am speechless and this is honestly the best response I can handle.

24. Sinzia

Thanks Received:
    Gratz on getting back up and running, now accept the damn freebies! (can always give them back something nicer when you can, afterall.)

Norton and Solaris17 say thanks.
  25. D007

D007

Thanks Received:
    Great to hear your back in business man.. I hope the job situation has worked out well for you too Sol.. I remember that thread and I was like.. "ouch man, that sucks"

Solaris17 says thanks.