1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

soldering a power supply to the motherboard

Discussion in 'Cases, Modding & Electronics' started by Geofrancis, May 18, 2009.

1. Geofrancis

Geofrancis

Thanks Received:
    has anyone atempted anything like this before ? the reason i ask is i have just bought a hp motherboard from ebay that uses a standard 24 pin atx plug but its about 10% smaller so no standard powersupplys will fit and i cant track down a hp psu to hack the connector off.

so what would be the best way to do this? i have a 20 pin to 24 adapter im going to solder to the motherboard so i can still disconnect the motherboard from the psu.

is it possible to pull the plastic plug from the motherboard and leave the pins intact to solder to or do i have to take it all off? i really dont like the idea of trying to solder and desolder a 24 pin plug from a multi layered pcb

cheers

2. kenkickr

kenkickr

Thanks Received:
    Crunching for Team TPU
  3. Geofrancis

Geofrancis

Thanks Received:
    yea i seen that site but shipping to the uk is ridiculous its 15$ for the adapter and 45$ for shipping and a bit of google magic later 60 U.S. dollars = 39.3752461 British pounds or more than i paid for the motherboard :twitch:

4. kyle2020 Guest

I wouldnt bother, one wrong wire placement and itll take everything out thats connected to the board :ohwell:

Id recommend a new motherboard.

5. Geofrancis

Geofrancis

Thanks Received:
  6. kyle2020 Guest

Can I ask what the boards purpose will be?

7. kenkickr

kenkickr

Thanks Received:
    Yes you can remove them. I use sewing needs to displace the wire tabs that hold the wires in there. Just be gentle and don't rush yourself. On soldering the wires to the board, you can solder anything as long as your careful and know exactly were the wires go. Have you thought of just going to an electronics store like radioshack and getting smaller ends to put on the end of the psu wires? That would save a screw up right there if you can.

Crunching for Team TPU
  8. Odin Eidolon

Odin Eidolon New Member

Thanks Received:
    ask MKMods, i think he's done something like that in the past. With his skills he could directly build a nuclear 2TW power supply and put it in a 2,5" drive :laugh:

9. BulgarianBoy92

BulgarianBoy92 New Member

Thanks Received:
    get a converter :D its cheap and it doesnt give you headaches

10. KH0UJ

KH0UJ New Member

Thanks Received:
    I think you can do it bro, desolder off the motherboard connectors, then splice the PSU wires piece by piece, the same with my 8800 Ultra:laugh: connectors have power losses,
    if you`re good at soldering then give it a go, one thing that`s good on connectors is the convenience, but if you want to have a minimal loss (voltage drops) then go ahead, i even put conducting compound on my 24 pin connector to minimize the V. drops, it save you money also.

My rig: http://www.techpowerup.com/gallery/2014.html

11. Geofrancis

Geofrancis

Thanks Received:
    i never even thought of that just removing the removing the wires from the power supply plug and pushing them individually into the motherboard that would save a hell of alot of time and slightly less chance of bricking the motherboard. i just hope they fit

ahh KH0UJ i see how you have done it you hav not even desoldered the original connectors you have just soldered it to the backside of it

12. qwerty_lesh

qwerty_lesh

Thanks Received:
    You could just look around and probably find a shop with a smaller form factor power supply which would fit it.. surely

13. Geofrancis

Geofrancis

Thanks Received:
    i can find power supplys that would fit but they cost far too much and im not buying a working power supply just to chop the connector off. i need to use the power supply thats in my morex 669 cube case because an hp one wont fit

14. Zehnsucht

Zehnsucht New Member

Thanks Received:
    What you can do is to ask someone to buy that converter for you and ship it to you. Should get a lot cheaper shipping rate that way.

15. KH0UJ

KH0UJ New Member

Thanks Received:
    :laugh:ya cause im after of the minimal voltage drop on my video card

16. Geofrancis

Geofrancis

Thanks Received:
    i bought the motherboard because it has 2x pci-e slots a 16x and a 1x so i will be able to put a small graphics card in my server and use it as a spare gaming computer for when someone comes round and put a pci-e raid card in it. but its main purpose will be to draw minimal power when running rosetta@home with bionic. im looking at a e5200 and a 9400gt so i could also run a cuda client. it should be at least double the speed of my atom 330 dual core and its crap intel onboard graphics.

17. Beertintedgoggles

Beertintedgoggles

Thanks Received:
    The best way to solder directly to the motherboard (at least how I'd do it), remove the plastic housing then solder directly to the posts and cover up each solder joint with heat shrink. This used to be more common than most of you might think when the CPU drew it's power from the 5V line rather than the 12V line, people would solder the wires directly to the motherboard to avoid any voltage drops across the connector. My 5V line actually burnt itself (more like fused itself from the connector to the MB) when I overclocked my mobile 2600+ on my ASUS A7N8X (I think that was the model, can't recall exactly) to 2.75GHz on water.

18. Geofrancis

Geofrancis

Thanks Received:
    i remember reading about something like that back in the socket 7 days when people would wire the 3.3v line directly into the cpu back when they were running on 2.8v-3v.

19. Steevo

Steevo

Thanks Received:
    Solder to the back of the board and hide your wires.

10 Million points folded for TPU
  20. Geofrancis

Geofrancis

Thanks Received:
    well that looks like plan B, plan A will be removing the socket on the board.

21. Geofrancis

Geofrancis

Thanks Received:
    well i managed to remove the power supply connector with a pair of pliers without damaging any of the pins and solder the wires to the motherboard. i cut 2 wires of the atx plug at a time then soldered them to the board so i got them all in the right order. i was having some trouble checking them with the multimeter becasue when i set it to measure resistance it was only showing 50ohms between the 5v wires and ground and i wasnt sure if this was a short or just the motherboard so i double checked all the wires and the electrical tape insulation to make sure nothing was touching and then put my Q8200 to see if there was any life in the board. it booted up saying "incompatible cpu" but thats ok because i knew my quad was incompatible but its booting up that was the main thing i was worried about and it didnt kill my quad lol

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

not the tidiest soldering in the world but it works.

Last edited: May 21, 2009
  22. Steevo

Steevo

Thanks Received:
    Unsolder the pins fromthe board, and go to the bacsideof the board with shorter leads to prevent shorts, slide heatshrink up the wires before you attach them, and then pull them back down and shrink them.

10 Million points folded for TPU
  23. crtecha

crtecha New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yeah all those exposed wires and electrical tape is scaring me.

24. DaMulta

DaMulta My stars went supernova

Thanks Received:
    Why did you do it to the front and not the back?

Also Why did you not use heat shrink tubing?

Also that's a lot of soldering. Cut the cable about 1/8 and hold the gun on the wire, get the cable super hot, and then solder the wire. So when you go to add it to the board it will stick easier(Just use the wire and tap it on the board/less exposer/use heat shrink tubing.

25. coodiggy

Thanks Received:
    I think it's ok on the front; the posts will give better support for the wires. Shoulda used heatshrink tube though.. It doesn't look pretty, but as long as it works..

I'm thinking that once everything gets up to temp; the adhesive tape might let go.. You can take a pin out of the extension plug and slip over some heatshrink, slide it down over the pin/solder joint, replug the pin into the connector, repeat for each wire, then shrink em down. It might be easier to shrink them all at once, that way you don't accidently desolder a bare wire while heating up the shrink tube next to it.