1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

some advice on a good fan for case & cpu radiator.?

Discussion in 'System Builder's Advice' started by mediasorcerer, Sep 23, 2011.

1. mediasorcerer New Member

Thanks Received:
    can you folks help me,i want to replace some fans in my case,one for the case and the other for my radiator on my cpu water cooler,[antec kuhler 620]
    when i go to look at them on website there is so many to choose from its a nightmare!!!

i dont care about 5-10$ diff in prices,but whats a good fan with low noise and hi airflow?which brands?

any help would be great,cheers from me as always,regs ms.:toast::)

2. crazyeyesreaper

crazyeyesreaper Chief Broken Rig

Thanks Received:
    yateloon Medium speed fans are a good start

120mm is 70 cfm 33db and they actually run at rated speeds and push there rated airflow, did i mention there cheap

like $3-5 a pop cheap if you get them from performance pcs you can get them custom sleeved and setup however you like aka 3pin only molex only molex and 3pin all sleeved and heatshrinked or just plain jane for the cheap price.

mediasorcerer says thanks.
  3. mediasorcerer New Member

Thanks Received:
    cool man thankyou,will check them out,i need one for the radiator,and one for the case,i want to replace the one that came with the antec etc +both are 120mm,

i thought by replacing the one that came with the antec,i may achieve even better cooling why not?

hey does it necessarily relate faster rpm =more noise? its a smallish matx case,what sort of max rpm should i look at?

my bedroom gets REAL hot in summer!!

4. crazyeyesreaper

Thanks Received:
    generally yes higher rpm has higher noise

depends on the person but 1600-1800rpm is tolerabe but over 2000 and it starts to loud and quick the antec fan that comes with the cooler is probably key world probably better then then yate loon mediums

but if i remember right you can fit 2x 120mms so 2x mediums should be quieter and cool a bit better then single fan, wont be a huge difference tho.

the antecs default fan speeds are 1450- 2000 rpm

yate loons are 1650 rpm so right in between the rpm range that the Antec cooler provides,

that said im willing to bed the Yates are far quieter then the Antec fan

5. MT Alex

MT Alex

Thanks Received:
    Do you have a fan controller? If so you can compromise between noise levels and performance. Crank them up when it's hot or you are gaming, turn them down when it's too damn loud. I've always been preferential to 38mm fans for my rads, since more of the air actually goes through the rad. That being said, I think Yates have some of the better static pressure for a 25mm fan. If I could only have one fan on a single rad, it would probably one similar to this Pabst on a fan controller. I have a bunch of Panflo L1s that I'm really fond of, too.

6. Iartchaos4death

Iartchaos4death New Member

Thanks Received:
  7. mediasorcerer New Member

Thanks Received:

no i dont,just using fan headers off of the mobo,[but!!!theres room for 3 x80mml fans in my case too,so may get one in the future why not,and along with 3 80mml fans ,that would make 6 cooling fans in a matx case,lol,hahahaha-hi powered air conditioner/computer]]

stuck an extra fan onto the antec today just then,to see how it goes,lol,and sure it dropped temps by 5 c str8 away,!

so that makes me think,piff the generic antec fan what came with the radiator and add two hi performance pwm low noise fans to it,? and swap the original case fan with a quieter better unit too,and later on add 3 80mml fans and controller maybe,

if it oni costs me say 40-50$ for two good 120mml fans-its worth it cos as i said,im on the corner room of my home and the sun hits my bedroom all damn day,by the end of the day,its wicked hot in here,hahaha.

hey im new to o/clocking,at the moment using the asus ai software that came with mobo,i got it to 4738 just before,but it bsod after that[around 4900+mhz]i gots to learn how to do it manually,its great fun pushing the limits and experimenting with air/water to get best results!!!

ps,i like the community here,you guys are great really,helped me heaps with this first build of mine with info and advice,
    its very good having this to draw from,i appreciate it a lot,good one from me,i think i put together a good rigg from scratch for round 1000$au+first ever build too,lol!!!

8. heky

heky

Thanks Received:
    Scyte Gentle Typhoon AP-15, high static preasure, that is important for a fan on a radiator, not airflow.

9. micropage7

micropage7

Thanks Received:
    i never heard it before :eek:

10. JrRacinFan

JrRacinFan Served 5k and counting ...

Thanks Received:
    Depends on the radiator and it's fins per inch.

11. heky

heky

Thanks Received:
    Cheap, high air-flow fans, are never better on any radiator, than a good high static preasure fan. Period.

12. JrRacinFan

Thanks Received:
    Didn't say anything about being cheap. There are just some radiators than need plain out airflow to perform. Not disagreeing with you at all about this as the Gentle Typhoons would work out good in both scenarios.

13. mediasorcerer New Member

Thanks Received:

would it trouble you to give me an explanation of static pressure pls?

and why its better than increased airflow?[or as well as etc],id like to know,cheers from me.

14. JrRacinFan

Thanks Received:
    Don't think of it as how much air but how hard it can push that same amount of air.

EDIT:

Only anology I can give is cfm/static pressure in fans is to horsepower/torque in combustion engines.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2011
  15. de.das.dude

de.das.dude Pro Indian Modder

Thanks Received:
    choose a fan that has the highest pressure, not just high flow. thick/multiple closely packed blades are good for this.

16. mediasorcerer New Member

Thanks Received:
    anyone thats not on facebook is no1 in my book,lol:)

cool guys i get the static pressure thing i think,and thanx for heads up,its like the amount of air moved v the speed its moved at,
    so u could have a fan with hi airflow,but weak pressure,meaning it doesnt have the power to maintain the flow rate ?and vice versa,

this is good stuff,well that antec is keeping my machine at 20-24c idle,it will only be better with better fans,and more quieter too,

17. crazyeyesreaper

Thanks Received:
    well point is Yate Loons are middle of the road,

there not special but they are rated properly there static pressue is better then averagem air flow to noise is good price is unbeatable

essentially

2x Gentle Typhoons will run you about $40 so if you get 2 for push pull on the antec + 1 for the case you spent $60 + on 3 fans depends on where you buy from

average price is $15-19 per 1 Gentle Typhoon

2x yate loons = $8 for the cooler and 1 more for the front panel = $12,

average price is $4 per 1 Yate Loon Medium 120mm
    sound lvl difference will be equal gentle typhoos and yates will make about the same noise, as far as cooling goes the gentle typhoons on a single 120 rad might make a 1'C difference so $60 vs $12 take your pick

AND if we look at the Gentle Typhoons specs

D1225C12B5AP-15 1,850 rpm 28 dBA 98 m³/h

vs

Yate loon Medium

Model: D12SM-12 1650 RPM 33 dB 119 m³/h

RPM 1850 vs 1650 the Typhoon spins faster
    sound lvls 28db vs 33db Typhoon wins here but you wont notice the difference

air flow is calculated a bit differently BUT,

98 m3/h is meters per hour is what the Typhoon is rated at

the yateloon is rated for 70cfm.

70cfm converted to m3h is 119m3/h

if we calculate the m3/H to CFM on the typhoon its rated for 57 cfm

this means

Yateloon is 66% cheaper pushes 18% more Air per Meter Squared per Hour, and is 16% louder

Last edited: Sep 24, 2011