1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Some advice on my security setup?

Discussion in 'General Software' started by liamcrane, Jul 7, 2007.

1. liamcrane New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi everyone im going mad at the mo lol i have norton installed and i have heard its a bot of a resource hog so i have been looking to change.

I would really like some advice on the best package i could get cos i really dont no wats best or even where to start looking, i have been giving AVG security suite and ZONE ALARM security suite and was not sure what one would be better i would have said AVG but hey wat do i no.

If someone could help me out id be very greatfull

many thanks

2. keakar

keakar

Thanks Received:
  3. liamcrane New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have gone for nod32 and comodo firewall that seems to be really good my proccess have gone from 42 down to 33 since getting rid of norton very impressed i must say!

4. Darknova

Darknova

Thanks Received:
    This may not be an option for you, but I use AVG and a hardware firewall (built in to the router). I have 26 processes running on first boot up, plus hardware firewalls are much stronger, and less intrusive (pop ups asking to deny or allow access) than software firewalls.

5. Jonnycat New Member

Thanks Received:
    I use AVG when I want to check specific files, but I don't leave it running. I also have Zone Alarm as a firewall, which I do, of course, leave running.

6. Namslas90 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Zone Alarm or Router Firewall, Avg or Nod32 AV. Any combo is just fine.
    Used them all and all combos, not much difference(depends on your HW and OS setup)
    :toast:

7. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    For non-free AV, I prefer Kaspersky Internet Security, myself. NOD32 with Comodo Firewall is my second choice.

For free AV, AOL Active Virus Shield and Comodo Firewall are my choices. Active Virus Shield is made by Kaspersky.

8. ex_reven New Member

Thanks Received:
    CCleaner is great for cleaning out all your cookies, history and internet crap in one go.
    I use spybot to "immunize" not sure how much protection it adds, but for something that you only need to run occasionally and not have running in the background it cant be a bad thing.

Avast and AVG working in the background too.

Hijackthis is also a fun tool to play with.