1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Some light Linux/BDS desktop

Discussion in 'Linux / BSD / Mac OS X' started by Frick, Jan 27, 2008.

1. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    j0 all.

I need a lightweight Linux/BSD distro. The only things I want to do with it is to write and check my mail from time to time (also, look up some forums, like this one :)), but that's about it. The system I have for it (at least in the beginning) will be:

p2 400ish Mhz
    Up to 512 MB RAM
    20GB HDD
    CDROM

I tried Ubuntu 6.06 on it when it was released and it didn't work that well.. I read somewhere that Xfce isn't as resource-hogging as gnome, but I don't know. Would something BSD work? I was thinking about Xubuntu, but if any of you know anything else, I would really appreciate it.
    /Frick
  2. xfire

xfire New Member

Thanks Received:
    Try puppy,DSL or Xubuntu. All are pretty light weight.
  3. Dandel New Member

Thanks Received:
    Freebsd should provide enough room for what you need, and/or you can use desktopbsd ( which has a graphical installer. ). the only main note is that the installer is where you need the most ram, and as for installing, the speed of the system will only make it take longer to load software, and install stuff.
  4. Solaris17

Solaris17 Creator Solaris Utility DVD

Thanks Received:
    ya i +1 free bsd as well.
  5. Frick

Thanks Received:
    Ok, just a quick follow-up. I write more later, but here's what things looks like now:

Xubuntu Live-CD runs like a dream. It's awesome. I haven't tried browsing with it yet, but everythin else works flawlessly. But I can't install it, for some odd reason. Don't know why.

So ATM I'm downloading the alternete version and I'll see what happens. I also have FreeBSD 6.3 ready to be burned to some discs, in case the alternate version doesn't work. So. We'll see.
  6. LuisaAndrews Guest

You should try Ubuntu again, give it one more chance is a good OS, I tried it in a similiar computer of yours...try to plug it a Gforce2, like the first ones...otherwise just try Xubuntu...
  7. xfire

xfire New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yup. Xubuntu has a bug while installing
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/ source/ubiquity/ bug/107259
    for the fix.
  8. Frick

Thanks Received:
    Nah, it was something else. At about 50% the screen flickered and then went black. And the problem now appears when I try to start the Hardware-whateverthenamewas (where you can see the hardware among other things). I don't know what it is, but everything else works fine now (AND it's installed :D). It's a bit too slow to work with the GIMP (although it's an old version I think..) but it's quite usable. I'll see if I can get online with it soon and see it crash down before my eyes when the ads and banners appears. :p

But so far I'm kinda impressed with the performance. The system is:

Pentium 2 233Mhz (there's something with the jumpers on the motherboard so I cant OC it :()
    384MB PC100
    Biostar M6TLC (440LX sadly wich doesn't support Pentium 3)
    20GB HDD
    Aureal Vortex 2 (don't know if it works yet, I just threw it in there because I had it)
    Radeon 9000 128MB (I think it's a Pro, but I'm not sure)

Something like that. :)
  9. xfire

xfire New Member

Thanks Received:
    If you think its slow try Puppy or DSL. both of them are as small as you can get.
    I haven't had a long enough experience with DSL but Puppy rocks especially with hardware support. Even setting up the net is very easy. Give the live CD a try. The download is around 90Mb.
    Frick says thanks.
  10. Fox34

Fox34 New Member

Thanks Received:
    If you want SUPER light. Go with DSL, Damn Small Linux. Its made for installing on a freaking flash drive, works great, and you can mount it to your HDD.
  11. Frick

Thanks Received:
    I tried DSL and boy was it awesome! I loved it!

But as I got my hands on a mATX-board (everything integrated, D1371) and a Celeron 1.2 Ghz I think I will use Xubuntu to start with.. I'll see if I go something else later on though.

But now I have problems with Gparted. It won't load the GUI, no matter what I do. The graphics is i810, and you can choose to Force i810-drivers, but it doesn't work at all.. We'll see if it works soon.
  12. btarunr

btarunr Editor & Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Really tiny and properly packaged distro would be xubuntu. It's sufficiently packaged with drivers, come with the same set of apps Ubuntu comes with, plus it can gel well with your Cellie.
  13. Frick

Thanks Received:
    Ok, now it's official: Frick is a Linux-g33k! :D

The only downside is that I don't think I have enough memory.. Plus it isn't as fast as my "old" system (e4300, 1GB DDR2 and WinXP), but it's more than enough. Now to get Wine and see if Deus Ex works properly.. :p
  14. xfire

xfire New Member

Thanks Received:
    You could try creating a bigger Swap partion.If Deus Ex is a DX game install Dx under wine.
    Frick says thanks.
  15. PartyLikeARockStar

PartyLikeARockStar New Member

Thanks Received:
    Depending on your level of expertise in Linux, I always recommend Gentoo. (i know some of you will groan here) Gentoo will show you how much you really (don't) know about Linux.
    P.S. Try the command line installer for a better experience, you will curse the 2007.0 graphic installer. Also Vector Linux is awesome on old hardware.
  16. Fox34

Fox34 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I dont know if someone new to linux should go through the pain and suffering of gentoo.
  17. Zedicus

Thanks Received:
    Elive - very light weight and still looks awsome - debian enlightenment based
    mepis - sort of light weight - full kde and debian based. could add xfce
    debian pure with something like blackbox, fluxbox, or open box, would flat scream on that system. and you can make it look really cool while still having awsome performance.

ubuntu is dirty.
    Frick says thanks.
  18. Solaris17

Solaris17 Creator Solaris Utility DVD

Thanks Received:
    +1 gentoo is the most powerfull/customizable distro but omg skillz required. first time i did it i was like........................um ok suse it is.
  19. Frick

Thanks Received:
    It's very simple. :)

But I'm still considering giving FreeBSD a go. But someone said BSD requieres a bit more than your everyday Linux-distro. Is this true? My system specs is listed to the left.

I will try out Debian one of these days though and see what it can do.
  20. Fox34

Fox34 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Debian and unbuntu are more of the "windows" like distros. Working with easy to install software and the click to install type things. Less command line, yet alot yes powerfull in my mind.
  21. PartyLikeARockStar

Thanks Received:
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2008
  22. panchoman

panchoman Sold my stars!

Thanks Received:
    speaking of gentoo.. this is a good way to put it:

[​IMG]
  23. PartyLikeARockStar

Thanks Received:
    hahahaha! that's not cool.
  24. Frick

Thanks Received:
    Right now I don't really have the time to take in anything spectacular, so simple is win for me atm. Maybe will my linux-g33kness grow and turn me into someone who despises GUI's, but time will tell. ^__^

Also, @ Gentoo, they have some troubles atm, right? I will try it out sometime, but not just right now. ;)
  25. Fox34

Fox34 New Member

Thanks Received:
    yea Gentoo, no just no lol. Your looking at, for ease of use for your first distro, u want, Ubuntu, Linspire, or Debian. Even openSUSE. Check those out and see how it goes.