1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Some New Toys

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Tau, Dec 27, 2008.

1. Tau

Tau New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well I have decided to add to my growing server collection, as well as replace some mission critical machines with actual server grade hardware....

Anyways, have had these for about a week now, they are just finishing up a bit more stress testing before i call them good (going for 5 days @ 100% cpu load, and HDD load) then ill call em good.

The 3 top machines are Dual 3Ghz Xeons, 1GB ram (will be dropping 2-4GB in them when im not feeling lazy), 2x 18GB 15K RPM SCSI drives in raid 0 for benching/testing, dual PSU's, dual gigabit lan, etc. etc.

Bottom machine is a single 3.2Ghz Xeon, 5GB ram, 2x18GB 15K rpm HDDs, 2x 150GB 10K RPm HDDs, dual lan, dual PSU, etc. etc.

I was thinking about dropping the bottom machines guts into a bigger 4U case something with 20 or so hot swap slots and turning it into a giant fileserver with a couple PCI-X raid cards (I kind of want 3x6 1TB HDDs in Raid5, for 3 arrays of 5TB each....)

Iv been looking around to see if there is anyway to slow the fans down a bit, but its not really possiable via software so i might end up 7v modding all of them :laugh:.

Right now i have Server 2003 RC2 on the 3 1U machines, and 2008 on the 2U, still not sure what they will end up as when they are deployed.

Any ideas what else i can do with em? Im bored and open to suggestions.

Anyways onto the pics.

Attached Files: