1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Some quick 1366 tweaking tips?

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by hat, Jul 12, 2012.

1. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    I'm going to be getting an i7 920 soon... I've done plenty of reading from others messing around with their hardware, but this is the first time I've got my own to play with. Stepping into the game 4 years late, I'd like to ask for a few quick pointers.

The biggest question I have right now is this: I remember reading about some two voltages that had to be kept within a certain range of eachother. I believe it was the QPI/PLL voltage and the memory voltage that had to be no more than .5v apart, or you risk damage. Now, say stock QPI voltage was 1.1v, and I wanted to run my memory at 1.8v. Would I be safe raising my QPI voltage to 1.3v to keep them within .5v of eachother?

Second, and probably more important question, is about cpu core voltage. Is there any ties to the cpu core voltage where it has to be in range of some other voltage? It's a shame, since I'll be getting an Asus Rampage 3, but I'll be doing undervolting more than anything. I'm living in a hot environment, the i7 920 is a hot chip, and my cooler isn't very good (listed as "a novelty item"... for anyone curious, it's an Ultra Chilltec). For once, I don't even care about overclocking that much... I'm more concerned with keeping the temp cool, especially since the Ultra Chilltec has an alarm that goes off if the temp gets too high (not sure what the exact value is...).

Crunching for Team TPU
  2. catnipkiller

catnipkiller

Thanks Received:
    Bump n sub. I need some help as well.

3. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    Anyone? Just a few quick questions...

Crunching for Team TPU
  4. bogmali

bogmali Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Which board are you getting?

5. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    Asus Rampage 3... but like I said, not really pushing for an extreme OC, moreso looking to make sure I'm set straight with some of the basics so I can work with pushing the power consumption down.

Crunching for Team TPU