1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Some way how to remove bad pixels from LCD?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Wakizashi, Nov 21, 2011.

1. Wakizashi New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hello,
    when I rebuilded my GFs pc today, I needed to move with her LCD for space on the table. I have not touched the screen, just edges and after changing PSU and turning on, very ugly surprise awaited. The monitor has some bad coloured area, mostly grey-black with rainbow colours around.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/163/pict0051ps.jpg/

Is there some tip, how could I restore the screen? As move it to the magnet, turn it off for day, turn it with display above or something different?

It makes me mad because I have not touched the screen. -_-

Thanks for any tips.
  2. lilhasselhoffer

lilhasselhoffer

Thanks Received:
    1) It is difficult trying to understand what you've done.

Now that 1 is out of the way, let's talk about what you've done.

When you say you were working on your girlfriends computer what do you mean? Graphics card alterations, overheating issues, whatever you say matters a lot when it comes to this issue.

Assuming that you haven't borked the tower, did you "clean" the monitor. Those dots look like the liquid crystals have burst. The only two ways that can happen is freezing (nitrogen dusters depressurize and flash freeze surfaces if sprayed continuously), or mechanical force.

Even assuming that the black areas just magicked into existance, you've got to assume the monitor is toast. You can't repair the monitor's crystals any more than you can repair a damaged trace inside an integrated circuit.

The short story; you're not going to resurrect that monitor.
    Wakizashis and Wakizashi say thanks.
  3. theJesus

theJesus

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, the only way you're gonna fix that is by replacing the whole panel. But then you might as well just get a whole new monitor for the same price and less effort.
    Wakizashis says thanks.
  4. Wakizashi New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hello, I have just changed her power supply and turned the monitor by 90 degrees. Not touching the screen... damn...

Hello again guys.
    In the case you would be interested, the upper blob disappeared totally, and the lower one is bit smaller, almost not noticable. pretty interesting.
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 21, 2011
  5. Bo$$

Bo$$ Lab Extraordinaire

Thanks Received:
    Run LCD fixer, might help. although i wouldn't expect it to
    Wakizashi says thanks.
  6. Wakizashi New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hello, I remember, that I tried some two free utilities, but they did not work before. But As I wroted, the upper black blob is gone and also the lower one is much smaller, almost after the month.

Can you suggest me some good utility to try for the lower one? Thank you.
  7. mrsdnf

mrsdnf

Thanks Received:
    Does magnetic forces affect lcd screens the same way as crt. If so, is there any magnets around?
  8. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    stuck pixels sometimes rubbing them helps but that right there is gonna normally require a LCD replacement
    Wakizashi says thanks.
  9. Derek12

Thanks Received:
    No, LCDs aren't affected by magnets, at least the ones I owned.

I think it's a symptom of LCD heat spots caused by CCFL/inverter or something. I saw that in some ones and causes the same round black blobs, that can appear or dissapear.
    Wakizashi says thanks.
  10. Wakizashi New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hello,
    thanks for comments. Well the monitor was not anything hot or very cold and also I was really surprised it disappeared. I am not sure if it was changing to smaller onece, but once GF told, the big blob is gone, so I presume, it disappeared one time, she turned on her monitor.

If anybody knows some good utility, I will gladly try it for the other smaller blob.

I have also tried rubbing it with finger and light pressure, when it appeared, but was unlucky with that method.
  11. Derek12

Thanks Received:
    Has the blob changed its size and or color during the rubbing and restored after it or it always was fixed? I wouldn't think a software could fix it as this isn't a dead or stuck pixels but sound more like LC leak that could fix in its own like the upper blob.
  12. Wakizashi New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hello,
    I cannot remember quite well, but I think it changed the color slightly, when color changed. When rubbed I have not seen any crystal flowing. But I am not 100% sure, after the month.
  13. Derek12

Thanks Received:
    If it changed color, even slighly, this means surely leaked LC and not dead/stuck pixels, do NOT rub it more as could make the spot bigger or enlarge the crack (own experience). None software can fix it, leave it as is and see if it dissappear/decreases over time as the larger one did as it could take more time :)
    Wakizashi says thanks.