• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Something i was wondering about changing BIOS

BeatnikBandit

Is it possible to flash a factory overclocked bios to the same factory's card but not the overclocked version. Will it help with overclocking even if you cant get the card stable to the factory overclock.

I know most factory's test their cards and keep the better ones for their overclocked models (eventually the same chip but was manufactured better)

I am running a Powercolor 7770 and i can max out the mem clock on the current bios NP no voltage change or anything the core clock though i cant get to the factory overclocked speed. So in this situation Will the overclocked bios change the voltage for me to a factory tested range hopefully letting me get the core higher safely or should i just do it the old fasioned way and play with voltage and just keep my mem clock the same?

The stock clocks on this card is
core 1000
mem 1125
My current clock
core 1010
mem 1300

Factory clock settings
Core 1150
Mem 1250

I have seen other 7770s (online of course so grain of salt) with voltage changes and some without (depends on lucky cards etc i suppose) i have seen easily in the range of core 1100 mem 1500 both on the low end of the scale.

So will the bios change be detrimental or beneficial to this? ESP since the mem clock is bios locked to 1300 on this card (possibly on the overclocked bios too) SO really i am only interested in the overclocked bios if it possibly ups the voltage (SAFELY) and lets my clock my memory higher and possibly core too i can only get 10 on the core but the memory seams to be no problem every time i pushed it and benchmarked it just kept going.

I am already planning on upgrading soon I'm running 2 right now and want to upgrade back to a single. At least with crossfire yearly GPU upgrades are not that bad as you get more bang for the buck (most of the time) just waiting for the right price.

System Name PC
Processor AMD Ryzen 3600
Motherboard MSI B450 Mortar Max
Cooling Phanteks PH-TC12DX, 3 x NZXT FN 140mm, 1x NZXT FV V2 120mm
Memory 32gb DDR4 3200mhz
Video Card(s) ASUS R9 290 DCII-OC 4GB
Storage corsair mp600 1TB
Display(s) LG 27MB85Z 27" 1440p
Case NZXT Source 340
Power Supply Thermaltake 675w
Mouse Logitech G500S
Keyboard Logitech G510S
Software Windows 8.1 64 bit
Is it possible to flash a factory overclocked bios to the same factory's card but not the overclocked version. Will it help with overclocking even if you cant get the card stable to the factory overclock.

I know most factory's test their cards and keep the better ones for their overclocked models (eventually the same chip but was manufactured better)

I am running a Powercolor 7770 and i can max out the mem clock on the current bios NP no voltage change or anything the core clock though i cant get to the factory overclocked speed. So in this situation Will the overclocked bios change the voltage for me to a factory tested range hopefully letting me get the core higher safely or should i just do it the old fasioned way and play with voltage and just keep my mem clock the same?

The stock clocks on this card is
core 1000
mem 1125
My current clock
core 1010
mem 1300

Factory clock settings
Core 1150
Mem 1250

I have seen other 7770s (online of course so grain of salt) with voltage changes and some without (depends on lucky cards etc i suppose) i have seen easily in the range of core 1100 mem 1500 both on the low end of the scale.

So will the bios change be detrimental or beneficial to this? ESP since the mem clock is bios locked to 1300 on this card (possibly on the overclocked bios too) SO really i am only interested in the overclocked bios if it possibly ups the voltage (SAFELY) and lets my clock my memory higher and possibly core too i can only get 10 on the core but the memory seams to be no problem every time i pushed it and benchmarked it just kept going.

I am already planning on upgrading soon I'm running 2 right now and want to upgrade back to a single. At least with crossfire yearly GPU upgrades are not that bad as you get more bang for the buck (most of the time) just waiting for the right price.

what software are you using to overclock it

System Name MONEY PIT
Processor i7-3770K @ 4800 1.20v batch #3231B415 Delided
Motherboard ASrock Z77 OC Formula w onboard waterblocks
Cooling Apogee HD, MCP655,rad MCR320-XP,Micro Rev2 res
Memory G,skill Trident X F3-2400C10D-16GTX
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 980 Ti Classified with EK nickel/acetal waterblock installed
Storage 2x120gig Wildfire raid0 2x120gig VERTEX3 raid0
Display(s) 3/ Samsung2343bwx + 65in LG 4K
Case NZXT Phantom White w/red
Audio Device(s) ReCon3d fatal1ty pro, Logitech z906 THX
Power Supply corsair AX860i
Mouse Rat7
Software 64bit ++++ win 10
So will the bios change be detrimental or beneficial to this?

Don't hope for nirvana with a bios flash!;)
Next time your here fill out your sys specs under the userCP :)

You would need to supply Mdl# & SKU# links to High Res pics [both sides] for the card/s. Plus a copy of the bios on the card now>>
And a link to the bios or a copy for the bios you want to flash to, and to really give a definite Answer supply Mdl# & SKU# links to High Res pics [both sides] of the card the bios came from :D
BUT remember Bios Flashing CAN KILL your card & the FPS/speed gained on the 7770 series cards Is not worth the effort if you can't afford the lost :eek:
That said post the above info & I'll Have a look @ the controllers on both cards & compare the Bios