1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Something is wrong with GPU after overclocking

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by Unitas, May 5, 2008.

1. Unitas New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hello,

i have 8600GTS video card and i think it began to overheat. All day i was overclocking my processor E6750 and then i finished, i began playing with rivatuner to overclock my GPU.

I almost forgot, that yesterday i was also playing with GPU and tried overclock it, but today decided to begin from begining and now even in default mode, withough anything overclocking, my GPU temperature goes above 73'C when i start ATITool 3D view or NTune 3D view. On idle, my gpu show 65'C and its in default mode, withought overclock or smth.

I opened my PC case and checked GPU, its really hot and i cant even touch it normally. So smth is really wrong.

The problem maybe might be with changing something in BIOS, since i was overclocking processor all day, so maybe i changed something that has impact to my gpu heat or smth like that? I have really no idea, since im not very educated in overclocking and solving problems like that ;)

So help, would be appreciated.
  2. spearman914

spearman914 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Most GPU's can handle up to 110C. So 73C is fine. I once got my 3870x2 up to 90C running for 2 hours and no problems. Have you gotten any BSOD, crashes etc lately?
    Unitas says thanks.
  3. Unitas New Member

Thanks Received:
    yes, i had, but the problems were with my processor overclock, but i managed to find suitable CPU voltage for 3.4Ghz and i tested everything with Orthos and no crashes and temperature of processor is 63C with default cooler.

Though, i saw crashes when i was overclocking GPU, but at the moment everything is set to default and no crashes, just the temperature scares me of GPU. Gonna try to play some game and will see what temperature of GPU will be.

On idle GPU now show 63C. When i start ATITool 3D view, the temperature in ten second reach 70C.
    Last edited: May 5, 2008
  4. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    thats not a big deal? my 3850s run much warmer 90C load and they are overvolted/overclocked
  5. Ripper3

Ripper3 New Member

Thanks Received:
    The 8600GTS runs very hot with the stock cooler but it never proved a problem to me, and the GTS still lives on in my brother's system, with stock cooling, and flashed to the 8600GTS XXX edition from XFX. It runs hot, about 75c, but that's nothing special, and it handles it well enough.
    As long as you don't see artifacts, tearing of the image, etc. then the OC is fine, but start being wary of crashes.
  6. Unitas New Member

Thanks Received:
    I see :) Good to know then, that everything is fine. Im just a little bit confused about temperatures of GPU's and CPU's, so i got nervous about my GPU temperature.

Thanks for clarifying everything for me! :)
  7. Ripper3

Ripper3 New Member

Thanks Received:
    As Spearman posted, GPUs can take high heat, some handle 110c just fine. In fact, Nvidia tends to have the shutdown temperatures set to around 130c, in the drivers.

Since others have posted examples, I just remember, my old GF6600, stock cooler, which was a little 40mm fansink. Not too loud, and cooled it okay. When I managed to enable the temperature diode though, I started OCing, reached GT speeds on the core, and reached over 100c regularly, especially when it was softmodded to a Quadro.
    Unitas says thanks.
  8. Unitas New Member

Thanks Received:
    Nice. Im gonn try to max everything from my GPU. I know, that its not very good GPU, but i dont play games and decided to OC for fun :)
  9. farlex85

farlex85 New Member

Thanks Received:
    If you really get into it solaris did a voltmod guide for that card somewhere around here. You can try to push the clocks even further w/ that, but your temps will go up as well of course.
    Unitas says thanks.
  10. Unitas New Member

Thanks Received:
    Wow, thanks farlex. Found that topic. Gonna read now and maybe will try someday to OC it with that guide help ;)

Me, very interested...
  11. Solaris17

Solaris17 Creator Solaris Utility DVD

Thanks Received:
    need personal help let me know
  12. Unitas New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ok, i will do solaris then im gonna feel im ready for it :)
  13. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    if you want i can upload the XFX 8600GTS XXX ed (760mhz core) BIOS i have one sitting in my room next to me right now
  14. Unitas New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well, i was thinking i could flash bios, but i dont have floopy and im too tired to burn these files to cd and convert it to iso :) Maybe will try tomorrow, after work. So you could send me you BIOS and i will check it tomorrow
  15. sneekypeet

sneekypeet Unpaid Babysitter Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    can be done with a thumb drive as well if you have one!
  16. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    mines not plugged on right now but here is the XXX edition BIOS that i found

Attached Files:

Unitas says thanks.
  17. Unitas New Member

Thanks Received:
    Nope, no thub drive. Well, its not a big deal to burn files to cd, but i dont have any at the moment, so gonna try flashing BIOS tomorrow.
  18. Unitas New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks, Gonna let you know, if everything will work fine :)