1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Something like NZXT Panzerbox

Discussion in 'Cases, Modding & Electronics' started by Izliecies, Oct 26, 2009.

1. Izliecies New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hello there, I recently found out about the NZXT Panzerbox and I was surprised about the drive bays it had. It had a normal count of drive bays (3x5.25" and 2(+2)x3.5" bays in case you don't know), not like most, if not all cases around today, which no one actually uses and they just are left unused. They also take the valuable space! And, since NZXT Panzerbox is kinda pricey case here, I was wondering if there are other cases like that or maybe the only option is to mod any case myself (unfortunately I don't have any skills for that)? Cause I hate the 15 5.25" and 9 3.5" drive bays when I actually need one or two 5.25"'s and maximum 2 3.5"'s. A 3.5" to 2.5" adapter is welcomed.

Here is an example (not the best, but one of the best options):
    [​IMG]

This is my old case. As you can see, it has 2x5.25", 1x3.5" external (the other one is taken by USB ports etc) and 1x3.5" internal, which is fastened by a thumbscrew. A really nice approach. Of course it would be better if the HDD would go with the connectors to the MB side, but this is atleast something.. Do you see the free space (ingnore the cable management, there is none, besides it's a case from 2005/2006)?!?!?! Where an intake fan can show it's best..

2. MN12BIRD

MN12BIRD

Thanks Received:
    I actually love the dimensions of the Panzerbox myself. I think it looks perfect how its so wide and not as tall as your average mid tower. It reminds me of the old Dell Optiplex with the expansion cards all vertically mounted at the bottom. I just always loved the way that case looks. I don't see why more aren't at least going wider. More room for wire management behind the motherboard and I just plain think they look better when they are wider!

3. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I don't quite understand what you are asking?

4. Izliecies New Member

Thanks Received:
    I am asking if there are other cases with less drive bays.

5. vaiopup New Member

Thanks Received:
    Sooooooo, you want less drive bays?~Just get a desktop then like the trusty Antec NSK2400 et al.

ATX desktops are available.

6. erocker

Thanks Received:
    A big reason why the Panzerbox has less dive bays is because it's a short case with the PSU in it's configuration. There aren't too many mid-towers that I know of with the same config.

7. Izliecies New Member

Thanks Received:
    I see, but I wish that more cases had the count of drive bays as Panzerbox did. I guess I'll have to keep on wishing!

8. erocker

Thanks Received:
    I think the NZXT Chaos has 3 5.35" bays, though it's a bit taller.

9. MN12BIRD

MN12BIRD

Thanks Received:
    Yeah the Panzerbox has the PSU on the side not on the top or bottom so that helps the overall height. Normally your case has to be at least the height of a mATX motherboard plus the PSU.

10. DudeTheDane New Member

Thanks Received:
  11. Izliecies New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yeah that case is really something interesting.