1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Something other than Fraps to record video in game?

Discussion in 'General Software' started by mtosev, Nov 28, 2010.

1. mtosev

mtosev New Member

Thanks Received:
    so I'm looking for an alternative to fraps which doesn't eat up my frames and is completely FREE

2. mlee49

mlee49

Thanks Received:
    XFire will record and snap pics but may not show FPS.

MSI Afterburner uses an OSD(on screen display) for FPS that is quite useful and customizable.

And both are free :)

Way back we used RivaTuner which also has an OSD.

mtosev says thanks.
  3. 3volvedcombat

3volvedcombat New Member

Thanks Received:
    I use xfire, have been using xfire for 5 years now.

and I use MSI after burner to.

Xfire- while in-game recording will drop your FPS just about the same as FRAPS does.

If your having recording issue's its ussually just the computer's original bottle necks.

it helps to record games with 6gb of High clocked/low timed ram, a Western Digital black hardrive, SSD, Or Raid hardrives, and a quad core to not see that big of a frame dip.

Most of the time the video card isnt the reason for the drop in fps when recording, Its just the low resources and hardrive speed that hits the frames most while recording.

**EDIT** Looking at your system specs, I basically described your computer, I would suspect another reason why your getting Low FPS while recording in your games is because the HD 5970 is caped at 1gb memory, and when you start recording, it loads up the 1gb of ram dedicated to each gpu and exposes the fatal flaw of your gpu

Its better to have the Single GPU solutions with 1.2-1.5-2.0gb of ram on the single gpu for better frames while recording games.

mtosev says thanks.
  4. qamulek

qamulek New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have tried at least three recommended alternatives to fraps for video recording, and I found all three to be crap in comparison to fraps. Even though fraps performed the best I still didn't like the performance drop using fraps video recorder, which lead me to video tuners/recorders. The pc playing the game won't take any performance drop while the pc with the video recorder will work away recording and compressing hopefully nonstop till your gaming session is done. I haven't tried this method since I really don't want to set up a second pc in my room just to record gaming videos, but at the same time I refuse to buy fraps knowing the crap performance can be solved by spending about an equal amount of money on a hardware video recorder.

5. Drone

Drone

Thanks Received:
  6. Crusader

Crusader New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ex-FRAPS user, converted to MSI Afterburner - never going back.

7. DRDNA

DRDNA

Thanks Received:
    Looked great until I got to this part:
    DirectX 8, DirectX 9, OpenGL and GDI based applications are supported in this version. Video can be recorded at either full-size, or half-size in each dimension (using bilinear minification filter). Audio is not captured. There is no imposed limit on the duration of the video, only available disk space is your limit.

Supported OS: Win95/98/ME, WinNT4.0/2K/XP.
    3D Graphics API: Direct3D 8, Direct3D 9, OpenGL, GDI
    Screenshot file format: PNG or 24-bit BMP
    Video file format: compressed or uncompressed AVI using any VFW codecs

8. Tatty_One

Tatty_One Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I use Asus Gamer OSD which I find better than FRAPS, does the XFX Overvolt tool not have preferences where you can dispaly FPS etc?

9. brandonwh64

brandonwh64 Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!

Thanks Received:
    How do u use MSI afterburner like fraps?

Crunching for Team TPU
  10. DRDNA

DRDNA

Thanks Received:
    looks like some are posting alternatives to frames per second and some are posting alternative to screen capture.

11. brandonwh64

brandonwh64 Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!

Thanks Received:
    Ok i upgraded to the newest MSI after burner and now i have the option of taking screen shots but not video, anyone else have this problem?

Crunching for Team TPU
  12. DRDNA

DRDNA

Thanks Received:
    I dont see any where that is states video capture...only screen capture!

13. sixor

Thanks Received:
    for fps and pics, ati tray tools osd

14. sneekypeet

sneekypeet Unpaid Babysitter Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    changed title to try to rid the thread of confusion;)

15. blu3flannel

blu3flannel

Thanks Received:
    PlayClaw is a great recorder that gives you the option of compression, multithreading, and tons of other stuff. Same cost as fraps and much more capable.

EDIT: Oops, didn't see the "FREE" part there...

Last edited: Nov 30, 2010
  16. DanishDevil

DanishDevil

Thanks Received:
    http://www.wegame.com/

Free, very little hit on performance compared to FRAPS unless you record in HD, and you can upload for free as well.

17. niko084

niko084

Thanks Received:
    Lets clear some things up..

There are a few issues when it comes to recording with fraps, a good amount of ram is helpful... 4gb is plenty, I can record at 1920x1080 any game I play without dropping frame rates too badly at all, this includes recording in Starcraft 2 and Bad Company 2.

A separate hard drive is pretty much a requirement do NOT try to just run it on a raid set of drives if the array is your primary windows install or where the game is loaded, you have a dedicated drive, doesn't matter what it really is as long as it's moderately quick, any newer sata drive will more than do the trick.

Now Fraps is CPU dependent, so clock speed and multi cores means the world. Considering your graphics card, you are probably using a lot of cpu power to keep up with it, that being said when you run Fraps you are doing to hurt your cpu and in turn hurt your FPS, get used to it, nothing you can do about it and nothing is going to change that.

The last ticket to recording with fraps is if you have your record rate set to 30fps you will drop to 30fps, however I have noticed setting it way higher than you render will cause other issues (frame stutter).

I deal with people that come to me crying about how they only get 60fps with their massive video cards all the time when recording... I have had dozens buy 12gb of ram, SSD's, another video card... It doesn't make a difference, it's cpu dependent and you want a dedicated drive to record to.

Chevalr1c says thanks.
  18. Chevalr1c

Chevalr1c

Thanks Received:
    Actually, how can people think the GPU is the limit, if it should be a "public secret" among geeks like us that the GPU can onlydecode video (asuming the capturing program doesn't use openCL or whatever to shift the load to the graphics card). It is the cpu, and the HDD.

Crunching for Team TPU
  19. Chevalr1c

Chevalr1c

Thanks Received:
    That is only applicable for (all versions thru) the version you mention there. If you click on the link to the DL page on Sourceforge, you will see that that site suggests you the latest development release, which supports audio as far as I have seen (just downloaded the programme to check it out).

Crunching for Team TPU