1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Something worked, and its kinda amazing.

Discussion in 'Networking & Security' started by GSG-9, Jul 5, 2008.

1. GSG-9

GSG-9

Thanks Received:
    So, I have had vista on both my computers for some time,
    File sharing worked for about the first week, but not very well. Then one day all file sharing stopped and media player did not function on my desktop rig anymore, it sucked but I did not really care.

Today I reinstalled vista on both my computers (Vista U:64 and Vista HP:64)
    To my surprise file sharing works fine and better than ever.
    Right now I am streaming music from one rig to the other while installing adobe CS3 thats on an image on the other computer.
    Windows is downloading its 500mb of updates as well as hp.

Im a little baffled, its just amazingly fast. Since I started typing this (I hit start on the installer for CS3 when I started) it has reached about 25% done and CS3 is SLOW, it probably takes longer to install than vista.

I am quite happy with my little network right now. (Which is Wireless G by the way, not hardline or N) :roll:
  2. Apocolypse007

Apocolypse007 New Member

Thanks Received:
    nice to see thats working for you. I'm still trying to get my Vista HP PC and an XP home edition to talk to each other (the XP machine does not show up on network).
  3. GSG-9

GSG-9

Thanks Received:
    I have your problem there to, one of my parents old computers is in the next room with xp on it, I cant get the others to see it for the life of me. :shadedshu
  4. PerryGeek New Member

Thanks Received:
    I had a similar issue between a laptop with Vista and a desktop with XP Pro. I typoed the workgroup name on one...so were in 2 different workgroups.

Make sure you set them up on the same workgroup if you want to them see each other. Since I corrected the workgroup setting, I have had no issues having the 2 systems talk to each other.
  5. razaron

razaron

Thanks Received:
    i have the same problem. if you can see vista's "public" folder on the xp machine, just use that. so you put stuff from the xp machine on the "public" folder and stuff from the vista machine on the public folder.
  6. tigger

tigger I'm the only one

Thanks Received:
    Vista and xp are a nightmare to get to talk to each other.