1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Something's wrong with my computer.

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Black Panther, Apr 26, 2013.

1. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    Mine didn't even make it to Ultra. It failed at High. XD

The fact you got further than me and I haven't seen any problems tells me it is not Flash's fault...

Has Farmville ever worked on the computer? What changed between it working and not working (especially in regards to the GPU/driver)?

Ohhh, it gets stuck while loading? Have you tried deleting all cookies, temporary internet files, temp, etc.?

You've posted not too long about connectivity issues too, no? That could be related as well.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  2. Black Panther

Black Panther Senior Moderator™ Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I increased it to 10MB still in vain.

It used to work some months ago. Afaik I only ever used the gpu driver released last year (which I installed when I assembled this pc), and I never changed it until 10 days ago approx.

Yup did all that.

I'm still not sure what happened but it certainly wasn't connectivity issues. I decided to update gpu driver, but started getting this error.

I managed to get the latest Nvidia driver installed only by downloading it from another pc on pendrive, albeit on the same network, same wifi and same ISP obviously. So I exclude connectivity issues.

If I don't get this solved I will be doing a fresh Win 7 install, but I really want to get to the root of this problem and know what's causing it... before taking the easy way out by bypassing it.
  3. Xenturion

Thanks Received:
    As others have said, I'd go into Chrome's 'about:flags' page and monkey around a bit with enabling/disabling Hardware Acceleration. I'm fairly certain IE has Hardware Acceleration on as well by default. Other than that, I'm at a loss because, as you've said, with a system that powerful and no other identifiable issues, it's pretty baffling.
  4. sneekypeet

sneekypeet Unpaid Babysitter Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm just gonna go ahead and say this....

With Steam screwing up, driver downloads not working correctly, and now this game is having issues, I would be looking for malware or a virus. Seems to me most of your normal things to do are crapping the bed, and it also seems rather convenient that all of this is going at once.

Maybe the fresh install is the better route to travel, then again I could be way off base;)
    Easy Rhino and 95Viper say thanks.
  5. Crap Daddy

Crap Daddy

Thanks Received:
    Just checked your other thread. What if you switch the USB WIFI dongle (yours might be at fault) between your 2 computers or better, can you connect directly White Bengal to router. I suspect it's a connectivity issue.
  6. Random Murderer

Random Murderer The Anti-Midas

Thanks Received:
    I was thinking possible NIC issues since she had to use another PC to download the latest NV driver without corruption, maybe Bengal has a spotty connection or is dropping packets. All the issues Bengal has had are internet related, so barring a bad/faulty NIC, it could be malware but she said she already ran a scan or two.
    BP, you mentioned both Bengal and Panther use identical USB WiFi dongles, have you tried switching them and seeing if the problem switches PCs as well?
    EDIT: I see Crap Daddy beat me to that one.

Agreed. Fresh install of Windows sounds like your best option.
    I know that's not what you want to hear:banghead:
  7. FordGT90Concept

Thanks Received:
    So you didn't get that resolved? I suspect that could be the reason Farmville isn't working. It might be downloading a large resource file that doesn't complete and then all hell breaks loose. It manifests itself as the loading bar getting stuck.

...that doesn't explain the graphics corruption on the HTML5 test though.
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2013
    Black Panther says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  8. Black Panther

Thanks Received:
    I'm positive that you have a point there. All this started around a month ago approximately, but I didn't bother that much. I just kept clicking on 'cancel' for the Steam update (it didn't solve it but it threw the problem to the background for some minutes at a time) I solved the driver issue by downloading it from another pc (BlackPanther in system specs on same wifi network) and installing it just fine, and I just didn't bother that much on Farmville since I was more busy on New Vegas and Crysis 3.

Dongle swap done. I'm using identical ones.

If I don't solve this I'll be doing a fresh install (probably this same weekend, yup OCD's that bad). It's just that I feel that by doing a fresh install I'd just be taking the easy way out and I wouldn't be knowing what caused this (or all these?) problem/s in the first place. And I need to know that.

Have I mentioned OCD tendencies? :laugh: Oh...

That might be it?
    I downloaded malwarebytes today and the file was corrupted. Then I dl it from same pc again and it was fine. :confused:

But then why does everything work on one pc and not on the other? While switching dongles? And using the same wifi network?
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2013
  9. FordGT90Concept

Thanks Received:
    If you tried switching wireless adapters then I suspect there might be a wireless interference problem where your "White Bengal" computer is. To test, you could try downloading the same files with the computer closer to the router.

Alternatively, if you have a long CAT cable, you could try plugging it directly in to see if it improves. If it still happens when using a cable, then I'd gander it is caused by malware.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  10. Geekoid New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'd boot up into Linux via a VM or live CD and see if it does the same thing in Firefox there. If it works fine in both cases then it is really likely to be something software related in Windows.
  11. Wrigleyvillain

Wrigleyvillain PTFO or GTFO

Thanks Received:
    That's a good idea.

And, yeah, it's nice to know the cause of and possibly repair software problems but sometimes you just gotta nuke it.
  12. OneMoar

OneMoar

Thanks Received:
    The Problem is most likely Flashes hardware acceleration:disable it
  13. Wrigleyvillain

Wrigleyvillain PTFO or GTFO

Thanks Received:
    It may be related to that but as already established she shouldn't have to do that for Flash/FV to work properly as it does on another lower-end rig she has.

As others have stated it may be indicative of a larger problem as well...again, I'd try a Linux LiveCD next.
  14. de.das.dude

de.das.dude Pro Indian Modder

Thanks Received:
  15. blibba

blibba

Thanks Received:
    Just as a basic "it's unlikely but who knows" check, does this still happen when your PC is running all stock?
  16. Black Panther

Thanks Received:
    When I right click on a flash video to enter settings to change hardware acceleration, I don't get the option to deselect hardware acceleration.

EDIT

Something worked.. so far. I'm only a bit frustrated because I don't know what it was exactly.

I had my pc on 'selective startup' in msconfig. I put it once again on 'normal startup' and apparently the issue got solved.

Still can't fathom out what I had excluded in msconfig to make such a difference. I only applied selective startup to prevent programs like Microsoft Office, Adobe etc from running as soon as I boot...

Wait a second. Adobe? Could it have been that?
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2013
  17. de.das.dude

Thanks Received:
    some thing adobe.

but i have all adobe services and startup apps disabled.
  18. Black Panther

Thanks Received:
    Remember in the OP I said I never saw any problem anywhere except in FV2. Everything else runs just fine. So if you haven't tested that game you can't be sure.

Apart from that I also installed the extension of ccleaner you suggested, and reinstalled chrome.
  19. de.das.dude

Thanks Received:
    that might have worked. it cleans up all temp files and stuff. so maybe one of the farmville files that were loaded onto the pc was corrupted during download. and maybe uninstalling flash does not remove those files.

i was told to do that file by natr0n. its really good. its like getting a fresh install of the OS!
  20. n-ster

Thanks Received:
    Well enjoy FV2 :p I was going to suggest maybe drivers weren't handling 2D clocks well
  21. Hood

Hood

Thanks Received:
    You might try running the new SiSoft SANDRA Lite 2013 (free version), it has an extensive analysis/benchmark/advice module that gives you tips on settings to configure software & hardware in problem areas. It's pretty amazing all the stuff it checks, more info than even AIDA64. It's worth a shot at this point...

http://www.sisoftware.co.uk//?d=dload&f=sware_dl_all&l=en&a=
  22. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    If it doesn't let you disable it, that means that it isn't enabled and cannot be enabled. This sound specific like a driver issue. Try using a different GPU driver as opposed to the one you're using right now (don't just re-install it.) Also make sure to restart after uninstalling the old driver then again after installing the new one.
  23. Black Panther

Thanks Received:
    I've still got to try most of the advice given here, but now I'm really confused.

Yesterday facebook loaded fine. Sites with lots of pictures (example 9gag) always load fine.

Occasionally when I browse news sites I get missing pictures showing as a broken image.

Now on facebook I see this:
    [​IMG]

One missing icon, and the other 2 look like they're full of artifacts.
    Note that the profile picture loads fine.

Why could those icons be 'artifacted'?
  24. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    When you clear your cache does it go away? If it does, I would check SMART on your boot drive to make sure your drive's error rate isn't going up. I would also try reverting back to the last driver that didn't give you issues.

Otherwise it sounds like a driver issue to me. I would try loading up the last driver that you know to be working. At this point I personally would be considering a reformat to rule out software, but that's just me, but first thing is first; Check out the SMART logs.
  25. btarunr

btarunr Editor & Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Adobe put a universal Flash Control Panel applet (*.cpl) which covers settings for the plugin in all browsers.

Check for anything Farmville-related in this dialog-box, and click on "remove."

[​IMG]