1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Sony and Microsoft Discuss Blu-ray for Xbox 360

Discussion in 'News' started by malware, Mar 7, 2008.

1. malware New Member

Thanks Received:
    The Financial Times citing an unnamed senior executive reports that rivals Sony and Microsoft are discussing the possibility of offering a Blu-ray drive for the Xbox 360. Sony Electronics US president Stan Glasgow also noted that the company was holding discussions with both Microsoft and Apple over Blu-Ray. The report even claims that there is also the possibility of an internal Blu-ray drive being incorporated into a new, more expensive Xbox 360 model, as it is already done in the PlayStation 3. Currently all Xbox 360 consoles support the HD-DVD format only, but since Toshiba abandoned production last month, Microsoft has no choice but to reconsider Blu-ray as vital step forward. Microsoft refused to comment on the story.

Source: The Financial Times, GameSpot

Last edited: Mar 7, 2008
    Creatre and hacker111 say thanks.
  2. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    Lol. Then Sony would make money off of 360s as well. Now that's a winning business strategy. lol.

3. DanishDevil

DanishDevil

Thanks Received:
    Totally saw this coming. What would be nice is when the price drop comes in a month or so, to add in an internal Blue-Ray drive into the Elite.

4. Exceededgoku

Thanks Received:
    The shroud of the dark side has fallen. Begun the Clone War has.
    :p

WarEagleAU says thanks.
  5. cjoyce1980 New Member

Thanks Received:
    not even sure why sony are involved as its panasonic that owners the parent rights to blu-ray

6. 15th Warlock

15th Warlock

Thanks Received:
    As of this moment 18 companies that form the Blu-ray Disc Association own the patents to the technology:

Significant progress made toward creation of joint Blu-ray Disc patent license

Sony was the first company to release consumer electronics based on the Blu-Ray specification, and has been one of the strongest backers of that format.

Crunching for Team TPU
  7. Snake05

Snake05 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I figured it was coming, but I still really like the idea. I've recently purchased the parents a blue-ray player for christmas, and was wanting one for myself as well, and this will really be handy having it in the 360. I need to sell my current 360 (shotty refurb sent from MS after mine died RROD) and get an elite.

8. mdm-adph

mdm-adph New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, I know it's petty, but I'm sure enjoying watching Microsoft eat crow for making a blunder.

9. cincybengal New Member

Thanks Received:
    MS didn't blunder. If anything, they shortened the format wars by not including HDDVD in the 360. Had they done that, the install base of HDDVD would have been much higher than BD. The great thing about the 360 is MS gave customers a choice to add HD movies. This will just be another option MS may offer customers. Nothing wrong with that!

However, the next generation XBOX is almost guaranteed to include BD in the box for the storage advantages. Anyways, I think MS is more interested in developing digital delivery of movies rather than a disc format.

effmaster says thanks.
  10. WarEagleAU

WarEagleAU Bird of Prey

Thanks Received:
    Dont think it would be worth it to include BD in future xbox 360s, maybe the next iteration. Im glad to see this finally happening though. MS truly wanted to pit BD vs HDDVD to make it so stagnant that folks would swoop in with digital downloads and the like.

11. mdm-adph

mdm-adph New Member

Thanks Received:
    Buddy, you can make lemonade out of lemons all you want, but "another option?" This will the the only option MS may offer now, unless they want to look ridiculous.

12. Saakki

Saakki New Member

Thanks Received:
    when shall Sony and Microsoft unite? "rolleyes" that would be bad for business tough..btw i was on blurays side since it launched and foresaw that hd-dvd will drop out =)

13. hacker111

hacker111 New Member

Thanks Received:
    No offence but how is Microsoft going to benifit from this? Sony will. So why are they even thinking about it?:confused:

14. Ravenas

Ravenas

Thanks Received:
    People with the old HD-DVD add ons should be able to trade them in to get this external blu ray player for a reduced price.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2008
  15. xylomn

xylomn New Member

Thanks Received:
    admittedly that would be great but you can also see the point that its the own fault of the people who bought the hd-dvd player before the format war was decided

16. effmaster

effmaster New Member

Thanks Received:
    Doesnt Toshiba get money for every PS3 sold since they helped to develop the CELL processor??:p:p

This is what has been Microsofts strategy all along which was to offer both digital downloads and High Definition Movies on High Definition discs (note that i said HD discs and not HD DVD discs) to consumers so that they could always have a choice.
    Of course Sony is going to receive money off of every Blu Ray drive for the 360 heck the Blu Ray Disc Association charges $40 in royalty fees per Blu Ray player.

It wouldnt surprise me still if the Microsoft Blu Ray add on for the 360 whenever it comes out will be the same price or more as the original HD DVD add on, Since the royalty fee is higher. But then again... this is all speculation noone really knows whats going to happen right now since Microsoft is denying all of this anyways.

17. effmaster

effmaster New Member

Thanks Received:
    The fact that Microsoft offers HD movie downloads will always be another option:p

18. Dangle New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yea, the HD movie downloads are pretty badass. As long as you have a decent connection, you can start watching the HD movie 5-10 minutes after you start downloading it.

19. Dr. Spankenstein New Member

Thanks Received:
    And might we add "Blu-ray exclusive" titles for DL on XBL!!1!

Now if I could just get my Talismoon MiniSpy I would be on track for an awsome movie collection to stream to my display...

20. Easy Rhino

Easy Rhino Linux Advocate

Thanks Received:
    considering the blu-ray player in the PS3 is top tier and highly upgradable through firmware, im certain xbox360 owners will be more than pleased with the add-on. HOWEVER, is it true that the blu-ray player in the PS3 runs more on software than hardware? that might mean that the blu-ray drive for the xbox360 wont be as "powerful."

Crunching for Team TPU
  21. OrbitzXT

OrbitzXT New Member

Thanks Received:
    Not to nitpick, but isn't that a tad inaccurate? I'm sure 99% of us know you need to buy the external addon for HD-DVD support, but just incase a random person out there thinks their Xbox 360 naturally supports HD-DVDs..it doesn't.

22. Easy Rhino

Easy Rhino Linux Advocate

Thanks Received:
    unless the add-on drive will be under $200 i dont see a real reason to buy one. by the time the add-on drives are available a lot of high end blu-ray players will be around $250-300. imo, pay the extra cash for a stand alone.

Crunching for Team TPU
  23. hacker111

hacker111 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Its still worth it either way since toshiba abandoned HD DVDS:roll: