1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Sony Announces PlayStation Vita, Revolutionary Portable Entertainment Device

Discussion in 'News' started by btarunr, Jun 7, 2011.

1. naoan New Member

Thanks Received:
    Sony has demoed MGS4 in playable frame rate during early preview of Vita, also uncharted is one of the working title for this platform.

So yeah, basically you got a handheld PS3.

2. Soylent Joe

Soylent Joe New Member

Thanks Received:
    Anyone heard a word on how the games will be priced? They'll be direct download like the PSP Go right? I see no drive on there...

3. [H]@RD5TUFF

Thanks Received:
    No meant wasn't this supposed to have some kind of chip that makes homebrew and soft mods impossible, that if you try to flash it with homebrew, it reflashes it back to default or something along those lines.

4. Thrackan

Thrackan

Thanks Received:
    Like a backup flash? That would be nice, but still not uncircumventable.

5. [H]@RD5TUFF

Thanks Received:
    Well yeah, nothing is "unhackable" and making such claims is nothing short of a challenge and an invitation to hardware hackers that's not anything one could question. I simply seem to remember right around the first PS3 USB softmod came out, $ony made claims that this would have many more "security measures" over the PSP and that the PS4 would be "unhackable".

I simply wanted to know if anyone knew anything about that.

6. theJesus

theJesus

Thanks Received:
    I'm sure Sony will try to implement as many ways as possible to prevent homebrew/hacking/modding/etc. but people will always find ways around it. If there really is some sort of hardware limitation like you mentioned, then somebody will make a modchip.

7. [H]@RD5TUFF

Thanks Received:
    For sure, I think the reality is while they can't make anything unhackable, they can make seriously difficult, like requiring a mod chip that viods your warranty and takes some skill and knowledge to install, and risking destroying the device itself. If the price of entry is so high, many will just decide the risk is nto worth it. And I think that is the route $ony will take, most people do homebrew and roms on the wii, and DS, because it's so easy and if your device breaks there is no evidence, so you are not out a huge amount of money.

8. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    The homebrew support for those formats suck too bad to be useful. If it were native, it wouldn't be an issue.

Nowhere near as powerful as ps3. It was also mentioned earlier that the current PSP is as powerful as a PS2. No, it isn't. Faster than PS1, but still not PS2 territory.

I'm gonna bet this is just a bit more powerful than a PS2, but not near ps3.

9. xBruce88x

xBruce88x

Thanks Received:
    found some more info on the gpu/cpu but no specific clock speed info.

http://egglets.com/news/2011/01/28/...-chipsets-series5xt-sgxmp-are-multi-core-sgx/

^not sure how accurate that source is.

I have 4 questions...

Will it run Andriod so I can have those games play on this as well?
    What's the battery life gonna be like?
    Is the battery pack easily removable so i can swap in another if needed?
    Internal storage size? (excluding sd cards since not all android apps fully install to sd storage and often crash when they are on sd storage)

More than 25k PPD
  10. n-ster

Thanks Received:
    My bet is that it is significantly more powerful than a PS2, but I agree that it is nowhere near PS3 territory, so somewhere near the middle of both

11. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    the reason they make these claims 'more powerful than a PS3!' is because they arent accounting for resolution.

they can say 'faster than a PS3!' if they can get a higher FPS on these at native res, than a PS3 can do at 1080p and its technically legal to say that.

12. 1Kurgan1

1Kurgan1 The Knife in your Back

Thanks Received:
    Not sure why your pc res matters?

But I don't know a ton about the ARM CPU's, or Cellphoneish GPU's. I'm just going off shear pixel count. I'm not sure why to compare 1600x900 and 1080p matters by comparison, why not compare 1600x900 to 2500x1600 for big % difference?

Maybe it is possible that the Vita could handle the higher res's you want, I'm not sure. But I'm assuming they are accounting that down the road people are going to push this little hand held, and are leaving some room for that.

Over 4 years after launch it was finally hacked, now days that is an eternity, most things that are deemed unhackable are done with within the month. So I'd say they did a pretty good job, I don't know a single person (personally) running a hacked PS3, but know a ton of people running 360's with torrented games and hacks.